Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2005.1: Whatever happened to rp-pppoe script?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotExcessive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: 2005.1: Whatever happened to rp-pppoe script? Reply with quote

I've just built up a new system with 2005.1 and emerged rp-pppoe since it connects via ADSL. Although it all compiled normally, I'm curious as to where the rp-pppoe script that's supposed to be copied over to /etc/init.d/rp-pppoe went. I found out it was missing when I tried to add the rp-pppoe service to rc-update and it told me it was nowhere to be found. I copied the script over from another machine and installed it into rc anyway, but I'm wondering why it was never created in the first place. I tried re-emerging rp-pppoe just in case but it's still the same. Was this an oversight or was it removed as some sort of security thing in 2005.1?

Anybody know?
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just set your external interface to the adsl modem to 'adsl' in /etc/conf.d/net (there is an example), run adsl-setup and start the interface.
NotExcessive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl+Alt+Del wrote:
just set your external interface to the adsl modem to 'adsl' in /etc/conf.d/net (there is an example), run adsl-setup and start the interface.

OK that's different from the way I used to set up 2.4.x machines. I'd specify the IPs for all the NICs in /etc/conf.d/net and after ensuring that adsl-start worked, just add the rp-pppoe script to rc-update. Of course, declaring eth0 to be of type "adsl" is cleaner, now that I look at it.

I think I'm having a blonde moment - if I don't specify the address of eth0 as being 192.168.0.? in /etc/conf.d/net, then where does the system know that eth0 is 192.168.0.whatever? adsl-setup is just told that it's supposed to use ethx, but where do you specify the address of ethx if it isn't declared in /etc/conf.d/net like I'm currently doing?
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm assuming eth0 is your external interface..
you don't need an ip for it since you're running a pppoe, not an ip connection
NotExcessive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl+Alt+Del wrote:
i'm assuming eth0 is your external interface..
you don't need an ip for it since you're running a pppoe, not an ip connection

Ah. But I'd still need to keep my current configuration as it is with a specific IP address for eth0:
config_eth0= ("192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255" )

because if I changed it to
config_eth0 = ("adsl")

then although the connection would still get through the modem (after all it's in 1483 Bridged LLC mode), if I ever wanted to talk to the modem from the system, say to install new firmware from its web-based interface, I'd be rooted, wouldn't I? In that case the only way to upgrade the firmware would be to do some cable juggling and put the modem onto another machine, or another subnet, so I can talk to it. Considering how the modem is sandwiched amongst all the junk at the top of the rack, I'm far better off being able to talk to it where it is.

So really, in that case, it's better for me to leave the setup as it is, define an IP address for eth0, and leave the rp-pppoe script in rc-update.
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd modem you got there... :?
mine has no ip-adress
NotExcessive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctrl+Alt+Del wrote:
odd modem you got there... :?
mine has no ip-adress

Hey it's NetComm :!:

To talk to it you have to give it an address and point that into Firefox.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: