Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Reset NVRAM on a PM 6500 (C-O-PR not working) (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reset NVRAM on a PM 6500 (C-O-PR not working) (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to install Linux on my PowerMac 6500. Gentoo doesn't seem to have bootable floppy images (yet?), so I thought I'd install Debian, and install portage on it after I'm done. It installed just fine, except it wouldn't install the bootloader. Searching brought me to http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/01/msg00336.html and I followed those instructions. I think I made a typo with the nvsetenv commands though, because now my Mac won't boot at all. I tried to blindly type both "boot" and "bye" (with a reboot inbetween) in case OF isn't happy with the screen. I tried to reboot while holding down Command-Option-P-R. Neither worked. However, I know the keyboard is functional, because I can reboot and hear the chime without a problem (though it brings me to the same situation). How can I fix this? What other info should I post?

Last edited by TrueDFX on Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
limn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at http://netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw. Perhaps the section which advises disconnecting the power and removing the battery and letting the power discharge for a few hours.
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, I saw that page already, but I didn't see that (I'm assuming you're referring to #ofw-clear). Thanks a lot.

Edit: And now the system's complaining a lot about files from the future (haven't set the clock yet), but it started directly from the HD, and I'm typing this from the Mac. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: