Gentoo on dual G4 Xserve
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwallace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on dual G4 Xserve Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on a spare G4 Xserve we have here in the office. But I get the following kernel panic when trying to boot from the 2005.0 PPC LiveCD.

Code:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 1 of device 0001:12:02.0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0002:22:0d.0
ide-pmac: cannot find MacIO node for Kauai ATA interface
ide_pmac: Set UDMA timing for mode 2, reg: 0x1090038c
crc error
EXT2-fs error (device ram0): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #21: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0, name_len=0
EXT2-fs error (device ram0): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory #12: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0, name_len=0
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

After seeing the crc error I thought that maybe the CD I was using had gone bad even tho I've used it to install on other G4 machines in the past. So I tried to burn a new CD but that came up with the same problem.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich
rwallace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update on my progress:

Tried Ubuntu, no luck. It seemed to be working but eventually gave me the same error about " cannot find MacIO node for Kauai ATA interface", a crc error, and then a kernel panic.

Just booted from the Yellow Dog 4.0.1 install CD and that seems to be working. In the bootup process it also gives the same message about the Kauai ATA interface, but doesn't get a crc error and continues on. I've got a nice GUI install screen now (which is almost completely useless since I don't have a mouse). I'm thinking I might install Yellow Dog and see if I can use it to bootstrap Gentoo.

Can any suggest why the Gentoo LiveCD didn't work? Old kernel version maybe? The one on the YDL install disc is 2.6.10. Can't remember what version the Gentoo LiveCD has, but I thought it was at least 2.6.10.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: