NVIDIA module error after recompiling kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ophidia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: NVIDIA module error after recompiling kernel Reply with quote

Hey
Not sure if this is the right forum...
Well, I recompiled my kernel as I am trying to get my cd writer to work. Now, that has not been address since as I cannot get the nvidia.o module to load after recompiling my kernel. I did attempt to recompile the nvidia_kernel-1.0-4191 from a freshly extracted tarball, and when it gets to the part where it loads the module I gat this:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol devfs_unregister_Rsmp_454d7cb7
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol mem_map_Rsmp_59b9b166
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol remove_proc_entry_Rsmp_1ae5205e
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol init_mm_Rsmp_e7cc804a
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol proc_root_Rsmp_0a9a0b7d
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol devfs_register_Rsmp_88e4d792
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol create_proc_entry_Rsmp_1b8b7f4f
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol proc_root_driver_Rsmp_9170a5b4
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol devfs_register_chrdev_Rsmp_2382b93b
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol __pollwait_Rsmp_d2890c94
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol irq_stat_Rsmp_15880b52
/lib/modules/2.4.19-gentoo-r10/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
and it has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for
assistance, only they can help you.

I have no idea what to do. I have gone and manually deleted the module from the path above and tried to recompile it again and I get the same error.

What can I do? Relative newbie here... still pretty green.

DId I do something wrong compiling the kernel?
Thx
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you've booted using the new kernel - does /usr/src/linux point to the correct directory? Also, try unmerging then reemerging both nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel just to be sure.
CodeSlacker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you recompile your kernel, you have to recompile nvidia-kernel.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is centered on your SMP setting. If you have a multi-CPU machine, it should be turned on. Otherwise, turn off "Symmetric multi-processing support". After this, you will need to use "make mrproper" to clean your kernel source tree. Before doing this, make sure to copy your .config file somewhere safe, and restore it after "make mrproper", and then run "make oldconfig". Then rebuild your kernel and re-emerge nvidia-kernel.
Cassini
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NVIDIA module is a kernel module .. you NEED to recompile it with your current kernel.
JanErik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, no more difficult than

Code:
emerge unmerge nvidia-kernel
emerge nvidia-kernel

when running your new kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: