View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this if you have it enabled in the kernel or as a module?
also, this is slightly off topic, but can you get bootsplash on the dev-kernel? I tried but couldn't figure out which option was needed
CoronaLover
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

built in.
Halanegri
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoronaLover wrote:
tips for NVIDIA users:
2. make sure you have "desktop-buffer-mode=backsystem" in your .directfbrc this will speed up XDirectFB ALLOT!

Where EXACTLY ?

I added this to my ~/.dfbserverrc file, but it didn't change anything(still slow as hell), and if i add it to the end of the "/usr/X11R6/bin/XDirectFB..." line, I get an error saying that "desktop-buffer-mode=backsystem" is an invalid option.
CoronaLover
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~/.dfbserverrc ?? huh?
add it to ~/.directfbrc
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoronaLover wrote:
~/.dfbserverrc ?? huh?
add it to ~/.directfbrc

/usr/X11R6/bin/startxdfb wrote:
userserverrc=$HOME/.dfbserverrc
While this seems logical at first glance, CoronaLover points out below that it's not XDirectFB that needs the setting, but rather DirectFB itself.

Last edited by dberkholz on Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoronaLover
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that has nothing to do with it. add it to .directfbrc, the DirectFB backend reads that file.
Exigentsky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: What are the advantages of using Xdirectfb Reply with quote

wll waht are they?
CoronaLover
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man directfbrc :wink:
hakan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emergerd xdirectfb rc4 and have no executeable XDirectFB!? 8O

I emerge again, maybe it's there then.

Edit:
After the second emerge the XDirectFB executeable was build. I have no idea why it wasn't build.

Is it possible to save which application should be transparent?
Is it possible to set the refresh rate?
CoronaLover
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its impossible to save which application should be transparent.
I think it uses the highest resolution or if you use vesafb in uses the resolution and refresh rate you booted with, again man directfbrc explains how to change the resolution.
Trejkaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: XDirectFB missing? Reply with quote

Quote:
I emergerd xdirectfb rc4 and have no executeable XDirectFB!?

Me too.

Actually I just emerged again this morning and it still isn't there.
On a little further investigation:

Code:

*** Adjusting cvs-src permissions for portage user...
chmod: failed to get attributes of `/usr/X11R6/bin/XDirectFB': No such file or directory

Uh-oh. And further up:

Code:

>>> Install xdirectfb-1.0_rc5 into /var/tmp/portage/xdirectfb-1.0_rc5/image/ category x11-base
install: cannot stat `/var/tmp/portage/xdirectfb-1.0_rc5/work/xc/programs/Xserver/XDirectFB': No such file or directory

Uh-oh.

Am I supposed to uninstall xfree before installing xdirectfb? That's the only unusual thing I can think of off the top of my head; if one is a 'replacement' for the other, maybe I need to uninstall the other. I don't want to wait the hours for xfree to rebuild if I'm wrong, though.

Honestly though, after two attempts I'm getting rather blah about the whole thing. Another issue which isn't DirectFB-related is that the rivafb driver has a stupid cursor problem on the text console, which is known and fixed in 2.5.x but hasn't been patched into 2.4. Argh!

Edit: Just a thought actually. I'm on rc5, maybe rc4 didn't have the problem?
ksuther
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got xdirectfb working fairly well, but there are a couple of problems.

First, when I drag or resize a window, the whole screen goes black until I stop resizing or dragging, but the mouse stays visible, anybody else have that?

Second, how do I add the vesa:mtrr,ywrap to lilo?
dasalvagg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm thinking about installing xdirectfb, what kind of speed impovements are you guys seeing from this? minimal at best, or are you shocked at the responsiveness of your system? also has anyone noticed stability problems? I dont mind a little working setting it up, but if its not stable once i get it setup....
qwerty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have the same problem, theres no XDirectFB executable :(

Edit: using 1.0_rc5
ksuther
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty wrote:
Hi

Did you be sure to add fbcon to your use flags in make.conf? That might be the problem.

edit: I still haven't figured out why on my system whenever I drag a window in XDirectFB the whole screen goes black, and when I stop dragging it goes back to normal. Anybody have an idea? :\
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worketh! I tried it before but was unable to get it to work - I would get the light blue screen with the funky cone-shaped cursor but could do nothing but move it around and kill the server in that state. The reason for this might have something to do with the fact that I use the Windows key for window manager hot keys in evilwm, but XDirectFB uses it for opaqueness control (if it's not documented... well... I'm going to have to have a look at the modifier mapping of X. All I remember about it is that it's extremely weird.). Anyway, I'm going to try it out with IceWM or some other window manager now..

... BTW... is it normal that I can't ctrl-alt-fX out of XDirectFB?
Ari Rahikkala
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... a few things...

- there are some quite strange bugs in XDirectFB. Starting xterm from IceWM's menu started two of them at a time. No, I don't know why. Accessing menus in Mozilla Firebird is a bit hard - in fact, basically impossible with the mouse. They just flicker and disappear. Fortunately, with the keyboard it's quite easy. Also, placing the cursor somewhere inside a text area without highlighting text seems to be impossible. It's as if the server couldn't tell the difference between a click and a drag.
- it feels fast. Both in a positive and negative sense. In the positive sense, response to everything is clearly quicker. In the negative sense, things that normally would be clearly visible now flicker in and out of existence way too quickly to be reacted to
- interestingly, the most visible change was in the startup speed of Mozilla Firebird. I've used X11 apps over SSH connections so I'm sort of aware that it does take quite a lot of discussion between the client and the server to get an app visible on the screen... but I couldn't guess that this would apply so strongly to locally started programs

(editing new stuff in 'cos three posts in a row would be a bit too much...)

I decided to try out XFCE4 within XDirectFB, as per ebrostig's thread in Gentoo Chat about how much it rocked. The results are quite interesting. I'm unable to move windows around and trying to resize a window blanks the screen. It's still fast, though. Unfortunately... fast but not quite usable. I added vt-switching to the configuration file and found out why it isn't "done" yet - although I could still see the stuff in my terminals, they were weirdly coloured (and overcast with a greenish pattern of some sort). I hope this gets fixed soon, since then I will be able to turn my computer into a high-performance Antidesktop... running eleven virtual framebuffer terminals (at least eleven - perhaps even more for rainy days) for screen, ssh, emacs, irssi, top, cplay, emerge, etc. and XDirectFB for Mozilla Firebird. And when the DirectFB port of GTK+ matures enough, no X at all.
ksuther
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ari Rahikkala wrote:

I decided to try out XFCE4 within XDirectFB, as per ebrostig's thread in Gentoo Chat about how much it rocked. The results are quite interesting. I'm unable to move windows around and trying to resize a window blanks the screen.

Hmm, I'm using xfce4 too and I have that problem. I guess I'll have to ask the xfce guys about that then.
jnicol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: no XDirectFB executable?!? Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. I emerge xdirectfb, no executable when done. I tried unmerging xfree, and removing all x-related files from /usr/portage/distfiles and trying again, still no success. Can we get resolution on this? I'd sure like to use directfb.

my use flags:
Code:

USE="X -kde -qt alsa acpi avi dga directfb fbcon fbdev gd ggi gif imap imlib java jpeg kerberos krb4 libwww mbox mpeg ncurses opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python quicktime readline samba sasl sdl sse ssl svga tiff truetype usb xml xml2 xmms xv zlib radeon -sis -rage128 -matrox -3dfx -gamma -i8x0"

ksuther wrote:
qwerty wrote:
Hi

Did you be sure to add fbcon to your use flags in make.conf? That might be the problem.

edit: I still haven't figured out why on my system whenever I drag a window in XDirectFB the whole screen goes black, and when I stop dragging it goes back to normal. Anybody have an idea? :\
splooge
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, ...

I can't seem to be able to get transparencies to work ... shouldn't it "just work" once I load up startxdfb? I can get to my desktop (fluxbox), I can pull up a terminal, but it's not transparent ... I can run LinNeighborhood, but it's not transparent, either.

Different problem: When trying to run xawtv I get these errors:

Xlib: extension "XVideo" missing on display :0.0
WARNING: couldn't find framebuffer base address, try manual configuration ("v4l-conf -a <addr>")
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display :0.0

So my questions are ...

1) How do I enable XVideo?
2) How do I find out what my framebuffer base address is?
3) How do I enable XFree86-DRI?
4) How come I get no /var/log/XFree86.0.log file when running startxdfb? (I get one with normal startx)
5) Is there something I need to do to turn transparencies on? Cause they just aren't working.

I know my framebuffer is working as I am running in 1024x768 with super small text and a logo on top of the kernel boot sequence... but that's about all I know =\
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: no XDirectFB executable?!? Reply with quote

jnicol wrote:
I'm having the same problem. I emerge xdirectfb, no executable when done. I tried unmerging xfree, and removing all x-related files from /usr/portage/distfiles and trying again, still no success. Can we get resolution on this? I'd sure like to use directfb.

my use flags:
Code:

USE="X -kde -qt alsa acpi avi dga directfb fbcon fbdev gd ggi gif imap imlib java jpeg kerberos krb4 libwww mbox mpeg ncurses opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python quicktime readline samba sasl sdl sse ssl svga tiff truetype usb xml xml2 xmms xv zlib radeon -sis -rage128 -matrox -3dfx -gamma -i8x0"

ksuther wrote:
qwerty wrote:
Hi

I had the same problem. You must emerge the latest DirectFB.

Ari Rahikkala wrote:

I decided to try out XFCE4 within XDirectFB, as per ebrostig's thread in Gentoo Chat about how much it rocked. The results are quite interesting. I'm unable to move windows around and trying to resize a window blanks the screen.

I have a similar problem. When ever I try to move or resize a window the screen goes black. Weird.
jnicol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: no XDirectFB executable?!? Reply with quote

craftyc wrote:

I had the same problem. You must emerge the latest DirectFB.

Code:

*  dev-libs/DirectFB
      Latest version available: 0.9.17
      Latest version installed: 0.9.17
      Size of downloaded files: 923 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.directfb.org/
      Description: Thin library on top of the Linux framebuffer devices

*  x11-base/xdirectfb [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 1.0_rc5
      Latest version installed: 1.0_rc5
      Size of downloaded files: 66,044 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.directfb.org
      Description: XDirectFB is a rootless XServer on top of DirectFB

Is this not sufficient? Should I unmerge and remerge both of these?
hbmartin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does directFB work with the 2.6 series?
Harold
bruor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know if xdirectfb will function with gdm ? and if not will it work with kdm? i would like to set up teh xvnc terminal server using directfb cause it would allow poeple to see what fb looks liek before trying it out... thanks,
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read just about every post there is about XDirectFB and, after being convinced in can cohabit with xfree, decided to give it a shot.

I wasn't expecting much, due the number of problems reported. And I tought I had to go set a ton of configuration files and all.

Quite suprisingly, it started Gnome on the first shot! So, Xfree without Xfree. Interresting. I was impress, but not enough to switch completely.

The only app (of the few I tried) I could not use was gdesklet. I tried glxgears (soft render), Eterm, Realone, gaim, evolution and mozilla. They all worked.

But, I have to disable gpm (how does Quingy manage to not be disturb by it?), I can't switch vt, double click is insamly too fast (one click is taken as two), performance is very dodgy (smoothness very susceptible to cpu usages by other processes), and it eventualy nothing respond (clicking whatever does nothing, not even focus).

So, It's not ready for "emerge & go" yet.

btw, I'm using kernel 2.6 (mm-source test 11) with sis630 framebuffer support.

Anyone know if DirectFBGL provide 3D accelerations, or if it's worst than XDirectFB?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: