View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mc'abit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Racist? Who? Reply with quote

I am disgusted by the actions of some people on this forum. As soon as a hotly contested subject concerning people comes up and one person gives his view the other side immediately should "racist". Because of this thread, people have called me racist on my comments towards everything with Americans, African Americans, Jews and Arabs (which is weird because you are normally with one of the other).

People sometimes dont like my views because i speak my mind but i challenge anyone to find a racist comment from me in that thread. If they cannot i think i'm due an apology.
And another girl to take my pain away...
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about racism but the guy who said your food sucks was dead right :lol: :lol:
bilbravo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read the thread, but I've never found you to be racist. I think you are like an episode of South Park--you aren't afraid to step on toes, and give every racial, ethnic, and/or religious group the same treatment.

Off topic, but I am disgusted that you changed your icon.

You will forever be, in my head, David Bowie.
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, you may be a lot of things but not racist :lol:
Mc'abit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilbravo wrote:
I didn't read the thread, but I've never found you to be racist. I think you are like an episode of South Park--you aren't afraid to step on toes, and give every racial, ethnic, and/or religious group the same treatment.
Thats what I thought. I think people tend to use the word "racist" when they cant find anything to argue about. I try to give every ethnicity and religious group exactly the same treatment. I have lambasted the US, Britain, the Irish, the French and the EU. I also bash theists, catholics, muslims, jews, mormons and everyone else equally. Actually because the US is a large country there tends to be more US-specific threads about so my bashing may seem US-centric.

bilbravo wrote:
Off topic, but I am disgusted that you changed your icon.

You will forever be, in my head, David Bowie.
Well i'm still david bowie but i will have to be a scientist until gentoo gets a downstream patch from phpBB. I think tomK or amne may have sent one.
Mc'abit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
I don't know about racism but the guy who said your food sucks was dead right :lol: :lol:
Hey! We happen to like eel pie [Simpson's Halloween special]
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through that thread, and I think it's silly that you were called a racist, but you did say some somewhat divisive things when read through a certain set of eyes. You can't honestly say things like "the United 'Ghetto' States of America" and rationally think that people aren't going to throw a tantrum.

This country has had a long and brutal struggle with race as an issue, and the issue is touchy for many people. Even now, cities are still segregated along ethic barriers, and leaders on both sides seem content with maintaining these barriers (which can be a bit frustrating). It's a trite term, but we are, definitely, a "melting pot", and I actually think there's something to be said for the fact that we've survived this long, but I wish we were a bit more integrated, and I say this as someone who is part minority (Native American).

I didn't read any of your comments as racist, and anyone who considered them as such wasn't reading carefully, but you did trivialize our plight. I mean, do you really understand race relations in this country well enough to offer that kind of biting criticism? Let me put it this way, most true-blooded American's don't understand race relations well enough, but most people here understand how sensitive of a topic it is, and when something is so sensitive, it's wise to tone down the language just a bit.

J.
Das Damen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Actually because the US is a large country there tends to be more US-specific threads about so my bashing may seem US-centric.

Shouldn't you be bashing India and China quite a bit more (if that was actually the case)?
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Thats what I thought. I think people tend to use the word "racist" when they cant find anything to argue about.

Yeah and when they can't find anything suitable to justify there claim they just shout the word racist and the issue at hand seems to get lost in a race debate.
Mc'abit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:
I just read through that thread, and I think it's silly that you were called a racist, but you did say some somewhat divisive things when read through a certain set of eyes. You can't honestly say things like "the United 'Ghetto' States of America" and rationally think that people aren't going to throw a tantrum.
I agree, "Ghetto" is an overstatement, i suppose i was trying to get a clear picture through and it ended up overly zealous. That aside, ghetto could be how some places could be described, that isn't to say that we dont have them here but in the UK they tend to be in predominately white areas.

atrus123 wrote:
This country has had a long and brutal struggle with race as an issue, and the issue is touchy for many people. Even now, cities are still segregated along ethic barriers, and leaders on both sides seem content with maintaining these barriers (which can be a bit frustrating). It's a trite term, but we are, definitely, a "melting pot", and I actually think there's something to be said for the fact that we've survived this long, but I wish we were a bit more integrated, and I say this as someone who is part minority (Native American).
I used the same expression. I was talking about the underlying current of racial tension boiling over. Many people have agreed with me on this (including you) and i feel that there are too many people - some of whom have responded to this thread - that are willing to stick their head in the sand about this problem.

atrus123 wrote:
I didn't read any of your comments as racist, and anyone who considered them as such wasn't reading carefully, but you did trivialize our plight. I mean, do you really understand race relations in this country well enough to offer that kind of biting criticism? Let me put it this way, most true-blooded American's don't understand race relations well enough, but most people here understand how sensitive of a topic it is, and when something is so sensitive, it's wise to tone down the language just a bit.
Education is the key here. I dont think that as your population increases the necessary arrangements are being made to deal with socioeconomic issues.
Mc'abit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Das Damen wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Actually because the US is a large country there tends to be more US-specific threads about so my bashing may seem US-centric.
Shouldn't you be bashing India and China quite a bit more (if that was actually the case)?
are there more indian and chinese threads here on the forums then?
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Well i'm still david bowie but i will have to be a scientist until gentoo gets a downstream patch from phpBB. I think tomK or amne may have sent one.

Nope, if we had written a patch we may have applied it already. We're simply waiting for it. ;)
CuCullin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated in the thread, stereotyping is a form of racism.

Your comments were, by that reference, racist. I didn't say it to imply you hated blacks, whites, or giant purple elephants, I said it to demonstrate to you that your comments were in contradiction with the points you were expressing.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00829.wmv

^^ That is a racist.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
Hey! We happen to like eel pie [Simpson's Halloween special]

Seriously though, I think the English have a serious problem with their food being racist. I've been in London for three weeks and I swear by the end of the holiday I was hiding every time I saw anything fried. The others were either shitting blood or pissing strangely colored liquids. If that wasn't racism against Italians, I don't know what it was. Drugs gave us some degree of relief but after spending all that time under the hemorroid-inducing effects of your food we couldn't help but think we were being targeted.
What came next was the realization that only people from other countries were suffering. The truth was all around us: the same food had completely different effects depending on the nationality; indeed only the English could eat it without incurring in severe bowel damage. That food was AGAINST US.
But there's more: violence against our minds. As time passed it became more and more difficult to time our shitting so that we could do without a bidet (washing your ass in England is a problem), in other words sometimes we were caught by intense bowel movement just after having showered and we had to either go out with our ass stinking or be late and piss off the girls. If this isn't psychological violence than you tell me what it is!
Your food is racist and you better take responsibility for it. Why do you even have jails if you let the most dangerous element in your country wreak bowel havok?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry cokehabit... but your posts speak volumes... You bash Israel and the USA constantly. I suppose you have issues with the only democracy in the middle east that allows females full rights, and the leading democracy on the planet that has shed more of it's own peoples blood to insure the liberty of others.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
Seriously though, I think the English have a serious problem with their food being racist. I've been in London for three weeks and I swear by the end of the holiday I was hiding every time I saw anything fried.

That isn't English food - I'm stopping now.
Fanatic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
Seriously though, I think the English have a serious problem with their food being racist. I've been in London for three weeks and I swear by the end of the holiday I was hiding every time I saw anything fried. The others were either shitting blood or pissing strangely colored liquids. If that wasn't racism against Italians, I don't know what it was. Drugs gave us some degree of relief but after spending all that time under the hemorroid-inducing effects of your food we couldn't help but think we were being targeted.
What came next was the realization that only people from other countries were suffering. The truth was all around us: the same food had completely different effects depending on the nationality; indeed only the English could eat it without incurring in severe bowel damage. That food was AGAINST US[...]
Your food is racist and you better take responsibility for it. Why do you even have jails if you let the most dangerous element in your country wreak bowel havok?

You willingly ate British food? I wish I could show any form of sympathy, but you guys brought it upon yourselves.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic wrote:
You willingly ate British food? I wish I could show any form of sympathy, but you guys brought it upon yourselves.

There really isn't anything wrong with British food.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Racist? Who? Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
I am disgusted by the actions of some people on this forum. As soon as a hotly contested subject concerning people comes up and one person gives his view the other side immediately should "racist". Because of this thread, people have called me racist on my comments towards everything with Americans, African Americans, Jews and Arabs (which is weird because you are normally with one of the other).

People sometimes dont like my views because i speak my mind but i challenge anyone to find a racist comment from me in that thread. If they cannot i think i'm due an apology.

Yup pisses me off when ppl use the race card against a factual statement. I got called a Muslim-hater because I quoted the fact that Muslims we suicide bombers in london.

Its almost like ppl who play the race-defence card are after instant-karma on this forum by sparking a justified backlash to their post
Fanatic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Fanatic wrote:

You must be f-ing joking. Yorkshire pudding? Jellied eels? Bangers and mash? Kidney pie?

Now if by 'British' you mean 'Indian' or 'West Indian' or 'Ready cooked meal from M&S' then I'll agree with you ;)
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic wrote:

You must be f-ing joking. Yorkshire pudding? Jellied eels? Bangers and mash? Kidney pie?

Now if by 'British' you mean 'Indian' or 'West Indian' or 'Ready cooked meal from M&S' then I'll agree with you ;)

I don't like Eels myself, although plenty do - yes, Yorkshire Pudding (done correctly) - gravy or perhaps as a sweet (Ice cream). Bangers and mash, with the right amount of seasoning (ever tried a proper sausage, not the rubbish you get in most supermarkets). Steak and Kidney pie, Pasty (and chips) - Ploughman's lunch with crusty bread (still warm) and a cold beer ?

I cook and enjoy British food. There I've said it.
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Racist? Who? Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

Yup pisses me off when ppl use the race card against a factual statement. I got called a Muslim-hater because I quoted the fact that Muslims we suicide bombers in london.

Its almost like ppl who play the race-defence card are after instant-karma on this forum by sparking a justified backlash to their post
Yeah that sort of thing sucks. Well how about this? We are all one race, HUMAN so stop playing the damned race card all the time when someone criticises someone else and you* don't agree with it. Sometimes it might be justified, but not all the damned time.

*You, as in the people who do this sort of thing, not Naib.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Fanatic wrote:

Cornish pastie, Full English, Cottage pie, Sunday roast with Yorkshire puds... The list goes on. We have some great food.

The French however.... Got up at 3am today to fly out to Paris (6am flight from Brum international) to support a customer (and stop them blowing up our product).
Lunch came and the menu said "Steak + runnerbeans (that in french)" I have basic french and guessed it was a steak (confirmed with the ppl I was with) SO i was prepaired for the Medium steak being bloody as hell (can stomach it sometimes)

What I got however was foul.

The beans were soo over-cooked that they were all limp and stoggy and to top it off they were soak in vegitable oil!!!!
Now the steak was a patty (ie like a burger) now it looked ok outside all nice a brown and I could see some pink as I was prepared for
What I tasted was NOT!!!! it was stone-cold and it was raw!!! the outside just flash-fried to seal it and then it was chilled. The whole thing was all soft and squidgy like mince, had nothing holding it together. I was almost sick there and then !!!!
Took all my strenth to swallow the bile that was riding up my throat (so not to show up the customer).

Landed back in the UK at 8pm and it was straight to the chippy since I hadn't eacten anything since a few mouthfuls of lardy-beans and raw-mince. HOW is that a good meal?
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Fanatic wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Fanatic wrote:

Cornish pastie, Full English, Cottage pie, Sunday roast with Yorkshire puds... The list goes on. We have some great food.

The French however.... Got up at 3am today to fly out to Paris (6am flight from Brum international) to support a customer (and stop them blowing up our product).
Lunch came and the menu said "Steak + runnerbeans (that in french)" I have basic french and guessed it was a steak (confirmed with the ppl I was with) SO i was prepaired for the Medium steak being bloody as hell (can stomach it sometimes)

What I got however was foul.

The beans were soo over-cooked that they were all limp and stoggy and to top it off they were soak in vegitable oil!!!!
Now the steak was a patty (ie like a burger) now it looked ok outside all nice a brown and I could see some pink as I was prepared for
What I tasted was NOT!!!! it was stone-cold and it was raw!!! the outside just flash-fried to seal it and then it was chilled. The whole thing was all soft and squidgy like mince, had nothing holding it together. I was almost sick there and then !!!!
Took all my strenth to swallow the bile that was riding up my throat (so not to show up the customer).

Landed back in the UK at 8pm and it was straight to the chippy since I hadn't eacten anything since a few mouthfuls of lardy-beans and raw-mince. HOW is that a good meal?
Also French food: Snails and frogs legs. WTF?! You might eat them as a toddler when you go out playing by a pond, but then you put everything in your mouth at that age. But eating them intentionally?? Now that is weird.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: