View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McSwartz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: America Sucks! Reply with quote

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. :P
brenden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikikik

pwnd

amooricans
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwarzenegger for President 2008!!! Just like he was in the movie, "Demolition Man"
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitcrawler wrote:
Schwarzenegger for President 2008!!! Just like he was in the movie, "Demolition Man"

wasn't stallone in that one?
santiagozky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in the movie they mentioned something about Schwarzenegger being president
quex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP: What are you? 12 years old?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quex wrote:

He's being sarcastic.... he's pointing out the essence of 1/2 the threads of otw. So you might say that much of otw is filled with people that have the maturity of a 12 year old ;)

Obama played the race card. Hillary played the woman card. America played the Trump card.
DoktorSeven
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dare oppose the mighty America?

I have reported you to our great Department of Homeland Security, and our Freedom Police will come to take you to our Freedom Detainment Centers and reprogram you to love George W. Bush, as all should!

HAIL AMERICA!

*cough*

:evil: :evil: :evil:
slackthumbz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, this cracked me up, there has been a ridiculous amount of American bashing lately. Remember that it's not the American people, they really are a lovely bunch of folks. It's that war-mongering, backwards, crony promoting (thank gog that failed) chimp known best as 'W'. And we all know what 'W' stands for (for the less intuitive out there try adding 'anker' on to it).
quex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopinzee wrote:
quex wrote:

He's being sarcastic.... he's pointing out the essence of 1/2 the threads of otw. So you might say that much of otw is filled with people that have the maturity of a 12 year old ;)

Eh, that's kinda what I was hoping. I get it now, but still, why the rash of hate all of a sudden?
freelight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slackthumbz wrote:
Remember that it's not the American people, they really are a lovely bunch of folks.

That really depends on the people in question.
Taladar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that America has a higher percentage of lunatics and extremists than any other country but it isn't lower either. They just allowed some of those to move into high government positions and most people outside the USA notice US Government actions more than the friendly part of the US population. That doesn't mean that bashing the USA for their shitty Government isn't justified though. Perhaps the sane people in the US population should take the hint and try to change the reasons for the US image change with other countries.
Moloch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taladar wrote:
most people outside the USA notice US Government actions more than the friendly part of the US population.
Actually we notice a lot more. Trust me when it's happening in your own front yard, you notice. Admitingly there are some here that don't care, as they are worried about their next car payment for their SUV. We usually call those people assholes. However we also have to notice our city governements. Although corruption exists on that level. It's usually much less as people have a harder time getting away with it.
jhunholz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slackthumbz wrote:
lol, this cracked me up, there has been a ridiculous amount of American bashing lately. Remember that it's not the American people, they really are a lovely bunch of folks. It's that war-mongering, backwards, crony promoting (thank gog that failed) chimp known best as 'W'. And we all know what 'W' stands for (for the less intuitive out there try adding 'anker' on to it).

Yes, Americans are actually quite wonderful people, but so is George Bush! If you don't like how he leads, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but a majority of Americans re-elected Bush because he is one of the greatest leaders of the modern day.
McSwartz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jholz7 wrote:
slackthumbz wrote:

Yes, Americans are actually quite wonderful people, but so is George Bush! If you don't like how he leads, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it, but a majority of Americans re-elected Bush because he is one of the greatest leaders of the modern day.

Yeah, but Reagan was awesome too.
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
jholz7 wrote:
slackthumbz wrote:

Yeah, but Reagan was awesome too.

And Nixon! He was actually the greatest!
Mnemia
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jholz7 wrote:
slackthumbz wrote:

Actually, they didn't. Only approximately a quarter of Americans of eligible voting age voted for Bush. The "majority" does not necessarily support him, and I'd imagine a lot of even the people who did vote for him now do not given his current approval rating. So given a rough estimate of that rating vs. what his poll numbers were around the election, I'd guess that only about 20% of Americans actively support Bush (at least enough to vote for him).

EDIT: To forestall questions, I'll just explain a little further. The fallacy is assuming that an election is an unbiased and random sample of the entire adult population, when this is obviously and demonstrably false. Our elections have been rigged (by the media, the major parties, gerrymandered districts, etc) such that a lot of the population doesn't see the point in choosing between two almost equally undesirable choices with only arbitrary distinctions between them. So a lot (~50%) of people don't vote, and yet people still assume that all of those people would vote along the same lines as the people who did vote. This basically discounts the opinions of an entire half of the population, by saying they "don't matter" if they don't vote, and presumes that the outcome of the election would be the same regardless if more people voted. I doubt that highly and I think it's important for people to remember this.

Last edited by Mnemia on Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Cosby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quex wrote:
Chopinzee wrote:
quex wrote:

Eh, that's kinda what I was hoping. I get it now, but still, why the rash of hate all of a sudden?

That's why https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-393480.html
It was just a matter of time. It's not so funny to bash e.g. Iran because there are almost no iranians here.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quex wrote:
Chopinzee wrote:
quex wrote:

All of a sudden? I've been on these forums since 2002... there are a bunch of angry rabid leftists who view everything as a reason to bash the USA... hence the last line in my sig. I can only take these forums in small doeses.... after seeing just too many threads on how 'evil' the USA is.... while never taking into account the real evils of the world.... makes me sick enough to avoid them for a few months. One reason debate died in these forums, the pragmatic thinkers simply stop posting because of the vitriol from these angry useful idiots.

Obama played the race card. Hillary played the woman card. America played the Trump card.
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plbe wrote:
pitcrawler wrote:

Surely you must have seen that movie. Stallone was the main character, yes. But Sandra Bullocks character tells him that Arnold Schwarzenneger is or was the president, don't quite remember which. I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility though. The "You have to be born in the US to be president" rule can easily be changed.
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitcrawler wrote:
plbe wrote:
pitcrawler wrote:

Surely you must have seen that movie. Stallone was the main character, yes. But Sandra Bullocks character tells him that Arnold Schwarzenneger is or was the president, don't quite remember which. I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility though. The "You have to be born in the US to be president" rule can easily be changed.

ah ok that part!
DaveArb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitcrawler wrote:
The "You have to be born in the US to be president" rule can easily be changed.

Not so easy, it would require our Constitution be changed (the rule occurs in Article II, Section I). Changing the Constitution is deliberately made difficult by the framers. But yes, it could be changed.

Dave
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnemia wrote:
jholz7 wrote:
slackthumbz wrote:

Actually, they didn't. Only approximately a quarter of Americans of eligible voting age voted for Bush. The "majority" does not necessarily support him, and I'd imagine a lot of even the people who did vote for him now do not given his current approval rating. So given a rough estimate of that rating vs. what his poll numbers were around the election, I'd guess that only about 20% of Americans actively support Bush (at least enough to vote for him).

EDIT: To forestall questions, I'll just explain a little further. The fallacy is assuming that an election is an unbiased and random sample of the entire adult population, when this is obviously and demonstrably false. Our elections have been rigged (by the media, the major parties, gerrymandered districts, etc) such that a lot of the population doesn't see the point in choosing between two almost equally undesirable choices with only arbitrary distinctions between them. So a lot (~50%) of people don't vote, and yet people still assume that all of those people would vote along the same lines as the people who did vote. This basically discounts the opinions of an entire half of the population, by saying they "don't matter" if they don't vote, and presumes that the outcome of the election would be the same regardless if more people voted. I doubt that highly and I think it's important for people to remember this.

Finally, someone with brains enough to state what should be obvious to everyone everywhere.

Then again, most people are stupid.... And the next post tends to support this supposition.

Chopinzee wrote:
quex wrote:
Chopinzee wrote:
quex wrote:

All of a sudden? I've been on these forums since 2002... there are a bunch of angry rabid leftists who view everything as a reason to bash the USA... hence the last line in my sig. I can only take these forums in small doeses.... after seeing just too many threads on how 'evil' the USA is.... while never taking into account the real evils of the world.... makes me sick enough to avoid them for a few months. One reason debate died in these forums, the pragmatic thinkers simply stop posting because of the vitriol from these angry useful idiots.

Equating leftist with America bashing is *really* showing your lack of understanding *and* your blind patriotism. Stop supporting an administration that is *directly* responsible for the piecemeal degradation of FEMA by the re-allocation and misappropriation of FEMA funds into 'other' Homeland Security 'projects' and learn the truth - dissing America, and especially the current monkey in the office, is pretty much the only logical choice left after the shenanigans of the last two terms of office.

DaveArb wrote:
pitcrawler wrote:
The "You have to be born in the US to be president" rule can easily be changed.

Not so easy, it would require our Constitution be changed (the rule occurs in Article II, Section I). Changing the Constitution is deliberately made difficult by the framers. But yes, it could be changed.

Dave

difficult, but not anywhere near impossible. How many Amendments do we have now, 27? It is not an entirely foreseeable future for us.

And Maria *is* a citizen de jure. And so is Hilary.
DaveArb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt wrote:
difficult, but not anywhere near impossible. How many Amendments do we have now, 27? It is not an entirely foreseeable future for us.

And Maria *is* a citizen de jure. And so is Hilary.

Twenty-eight amendments. In what, roughly 210 years. And, the Bill of Rights are the first ten, so there's really only been 18 amendments added. But "near impossible" was certainly not the flavor I was trying to lend, "difficult" is. I wish it would be amended, it's a rule for a long-ago time.

Are you old enough to recall the failure of the Equal Right Amendment? That was fought for, hard, and didn't make it.

Pretty sure Maria Shriver would stand no chance of being elected President. ;)

Dave
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought ERA *was* 28. And yes I recall it being fought for, we were taught about it repeatedly in grade school.

I was making a distinction - and the maria bit was a stronger link than you realize as her ties to the Kennedy clan have lent a lot of clout to the Schwarzenegger political aspirations.

But yeah, unless the process were to be started now he would basically have no hope for Pres for the next term or two.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: