Shell-In-A-Box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgillespie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Shell-In-A-Box Reply with quote

Anyone running this? (http://www.shellinabox.com/)

Spent most of this evening trying to get the damn package working. The documentation is a bit sparse and assumes intimate knowledge of linux and permissions etc.

Anyone want to translate to English? Sounds like a simple case of copying the file and directory to my cgi-bin and setting permissions on the file and directory to user apache (what my webserver user is), but I can seem to get it working. It's not been updated for 4 years thou :-(

I Always get a "Cannot Open Connection" when I try to connect with it..

Are there any other simple ways of getting to my home PC, though corporate firewalls?

If someone does get it running, a directory listing showing permissions would be nice :-)

Running the binary, as the source does not seem to compile any more either :-(
anxt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to tunnel vnc through ssh.

rdesktop, ssh whatever there are tons of ways to connect.

it kind of depends on how the network is setup. if you can ssh to home you can do anything :)
mgillespie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have xwindows or anything else like that installed.

It's a console only, headless system. And I want to access it via HTTP traffic only on port 80.

Shell In A Box and Anyterm are the only programs that I can see that will accomplish this.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgillespie wrote:
It's a console only, headless system. And I want to access it via HTTP traffic only on port 80.

This is a very very very very bad idea.

It is sort of like asking us how to remove the seat belts and airbags from your car because you are planning to drive at top speed into a brick wall. What you want is inherently dangerous and should not be done.

Even worse, the policies at your workplace were implemented to prevent exactly the kind of remote access you are asking us to help you create. I had a job once that required I be locked up inside of a bank vault in order to run my programs because some of the information was very sensitive. If you don't like the current policies at your work place, you have three legitimate options:
    1) live with the policies as they are,
    2) ask your company to change the policies, or
    3) find a different job

The act of subverting your company's policies is not on that list.
mgillespie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the really helpful reply. I remember now why the Linux "community" sucks so badly...
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's a way of asking for help I've never seen before.. I keep learning stuff on these forums...
mgillespie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much given up getting help here, I think most of the gurus are too high up on their horses to hear people...
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgillespie wrote:
Thanks for the really helpful reply. I remember now why the Linux "community" sucks so badly...

BitJam is 100% correct.

Deal with reality.
mgillespie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So instead of going off on one, and telling me what I should at should not be doing at work, all he says is

"This is a very very very very bad idea. "

Nothing about WHY it's a bad idea...
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Shell-In-A-Box Reply with quote

mgillespie wrote:
Are there any other simple ways of getting to my home PC, though corporate firewalls?

If you insist... have you tried running sshd on port 80 and connecting with user@host:80 ? That would be simplest...

Or do you have to go through a proxy ?
mgillespie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, there is a webserver on port 80.

I will try on 8080 thou, see if that works.

Thanks for the useful suggestion
ttuttle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that was a useless response. Besides, if you use the right programs you can still have an encrypted connection. (Maybe run a proxy on it so regular WWW requests go to the web site but it can also be used for CONNECT requests to certain ports, i.e. SSH?)
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThinkingInBinary wrote:
I agree, that was a useless response. Besides, if you use the right programs you can still have an encrypted connection. (Maybe run a proxy on it so regular WWW requests go to the web site but it can also be used for CONNECT requests to certain ports, i.e. SSH?)

If you read the entire thread you will see that someone suggested ssh to which the original poster replied:
Quote:
... I want to access it via HTTP traffic only on port 80.

which I quoted in my response.

The SSH protocol is not HTTP even if it is run on port 80. Since both the port and the protocol were specified and since this was in response to the suggestion of using ssh, I responding saying it was a bad idea.

It is becoming a more common practice for corporate firewalls (as mentioned in the original post) to restrict all encrypted data regardless of port number. They do this to prevent employees from securely logging on to outside machines such as their home machines. It also lets them sniff the contents of every packet which usually goes along with such restrictive rules. The intent is to prevent information from leaving the company via the Internet.

The topic of circumventing such corporate firewalls has already been discussed on these fora. When the original poster asked how to get around a corporate firewall by logging on to his home machine using HTTP and port 80, whether he knew it or not, he was asking for instructions on how to circumvent just such a restrictive corporate firewall.

Also, he posted the exact same question in a different thread where he explained that he was pretty much a Unix/Linux and Gentoo newbie. The program he asked for help with has not been updated since 2001 and only exists in beta form. It says it works just like telnet or rlogin, in other words totally unencrypted.

So here is a newbie, asking for help to circumvent a corporate firewall where he works to connect to his home machine that is going to be allowing unencrypted remote shell access.

What part of that sounds like a good idea?
localghost
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, you could tunnel ssh over a http proxy using either corkscrew or proxytunnel.
I never got either of them working, so for what its worth...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: