View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitano
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: vmware stopped working; "could not reserve memory" Reply with quote

hi everyone,
this morning i wanted to start vmware 4.5.2 build 8848 but all of a sudden it did not work.

all it stated was:
Quote:
VMware Workstation is unable to reserve the requested 252MB of memory for the virtual machine.

Try reducing the amount of memory assigned to the virtual machine, or exiting and restarting VMware Workstation.

i got it running the days ago flawlessly on my T42p laptop with 512MB ram. also changing the assigned memory stepwise down to 12MB did not help, so it must be a leak or something somewhere. but i have 384MB of free memory, as gkrell states.

also tried to stop several services, like apache2 and samba ...

free -t gives me this:
Code:
free -t
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        514168     371928     142240          0      77072     176852
-/+ buffers/cache:     118004     396164
Swap:       551840          0     551840
Total:     1066008     371928     694080

so there should be no problem.

and all i changed since yesterday, was changing permissions for /dev/nvram in /etc/udev/rules.d/.
this couldn't be the problem, could it?

any help is appreciated!
greetz,
kitano

only in case you were going to ask what it is...
hds
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you change your fstab recently and are using tmpfs for your /tmp directory? in this case, the amount of memory will not be enough.
in this case you would have to tell vmware in its configuration to use a different directory as temp (maybe /var/tmp/vmware or similar) or simply dont use tmpfs for /tmp.

simply check space left in /tmp.. i had this problem myself a few month back ;)
kitano
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi hds,
yes, i do have tmpfs used lately -> removed it from fstab for testing vmware -> restarted the machine, but it still seems to be mounted ... *looking bewilderedly*

i'll test and post results, thanks for pointing me there!

kitano

kitano
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, that didn't do the trick.

what i saw in the mount list was /dev/shm which is mounted by default for gentoo-installations.

so, i am not using tmpfs for /tmp, have plenty of space left on /tmp (about 800M on /) and did not change any configuration data, not for vmware, not for the system ...

i can't see the point.

i moved the vmware-os-directory to a place were there is plenty of space, so i can exclude a space-shortage in the install-dir, too.

nothing of this helped.

anyone?

kitano
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it, i'm using the ~x86 version of baselayout and the update yesterday to ver 1.11.12-r1 crashed something.

i'll see if i can find out what it is and post the solution. till then, you're ok with version 1.11.11-r3 as it is in portage.

greetz,
kitano

scottfk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a similiar problem with VMware workstation 5.0. The program loads fine, but when I try to start a virtual machine, the console window (for the VM) goes black for a second, then the virtual machine stops.

baselayout is probably the culprit... baselayout-1.11.12 broke Xorg and required an -r1.

I will see if I can figure out what is broken so that we can lobby for an -r2.

scott
scottfk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: problem solved! Reply with quote

Alrighty... it looks like the -r1 bump to baselayout-1.11.12 did, indeed, fix the problem... I just hadn't rebooted since I updated.

The problem is that the /sbin/rc script provided by 1.11.12 mounts /dev with the "noexec" option. This was what broke Xorg for several users (including me), and also breaks VMware.

In baselayout-1.11.12-r1, /dev is mounted without setting "noexec."

So the solution is to update baselayout and remount /dev without "noexec" set. I just rebooted, because who knows what else might've changed...

scott
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: