Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitchybums wrote:
There is just one big problem when you use Gentoo.

I'm spoiled, and won't settle for anything else anymore.
Unfortunately I am a computertech, fixing and installing windows computers all day, and it now sucks even more.

i play with old and new pc's all day, but even a win95 on a p4 will not outperform my gentoo on a pIII laptop.
(except starting up phoenix takes me a little too long)

prelinking! also make sure you're using the hdparm command that's in the new install guide. helps to speed up hd access dramatically.

anyhoo, i feel the same way. it's near impossible for me to attempt to use another distribution since i started with gentoo. the only thing i can see myself using is debian or freebsd becuase they have something similar to portage (but just not as good).

gentoo simply kicks ass.

ryan
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OddFox wrote:

When I get the new computer I won't mind one bit waiting for something to compile but on this system I can't really do much of anything when a compile is going on. Too much of a drag on my CPU.

check out the GRP packages.

also:

Code:
nice emerge kde

then the compiles get lower priority. if there's nothing else to run (i.e., you're not using the computer) it still gets all the cpu time.

my favorite is to start up a 'screen' session and start a long compile there. that way I can detach and later reattach over the network to check on it.
corrs_fan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:

anyhoo, i feel the same way. it's near impossible for me to attempt to use another distribution since i started with gentoo. the only thing i can see myself using is debian or freebsd becuase they have something similar to portage (but just not as good).

ryan

Sorry for another me too type post, but i totally agree with the above sentiments. I tried most other distros, and lately was actually quite impressed with RH's highly evolved gui styling & integration, but quickly found out just how bad the updating process is, if you arent on RHN ($60/year).

I couldnt even figure out where to start with debian, but wanted something of that sort of functionality and be fairly bleeding edge too, unlike deb.

I looked at the other source based distros' and gentoo stood out by a mile, in each of the user base, docs, and simple, yet very powerful commands. - its only fault is compiling times :(

Keep it up folks :)
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling times are your CPU's fault, not Gentoo's! :)
Anyway, Gentoo is source+portage+goodies, you just can't take one out of it. :wink:
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenon wrote:
Compiling times are your CPU's fault, not Gentoo's! :)
Anyway, Gentoo is source+portage+goodies, you just can't take one out of it. :wink:
Actually, I think there's room in the world for a binary distro that would have excellent dependency handling like Gentoo (only without things like USE flags - at least not as fine-grained since the combinatorial explosion of config option combinations would get you at some point), as well as elegant rc scripts and simple, no-nonsense installation by hand.

I'd still use Gentoo though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: