Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefren
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

olavi wrote:

1. What kernel version do you have?
2. What kind of motherboard do you have and what chip (K8T890, nForce4...) does it have?
3. What kind of SATA/RAID chip(s) does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work?
4. What kind of ethernet chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use (name, propiertary/free) and does it work?
5. What kind of audio chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work? (in/out? 5.1? s/pdif?)
6. What kind of wifi chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work?
7. Do pci-e, usb, firewire and gameport work? Any tweaks needed?
8. Do cool n' quiet, power management and acpi work? Any tweaks needed?
9. Are there general problems with the motherboard? Any additions (like required kernel parameters)?

1. 2.6.12-morph7
2. Abit AX8 - K8T890 chipset
3. Dont use SATA/RAID yet, but support through via VT8237 and VT6421
4. Ethernet chip is IP1000A from IC+, there is some kind of Linux driver, but no built-in support in the kernel so I use my old 3com card instead.
5. Realtek ALC650 audio codec chip provides 6 channels of sound, but never used that, I use my Terratec Aureon Sky instead.
6. Dont use wifi and dont know
7. PCI-E works just fine after enabling support in the kernel. Havent tried firewire or gameport
8. Havent really looked into this very much, but no obvious problems yet
9. No mysterious tweaks were needed except that agp support needs to be enabled to get accelerated 3d with atis drivers..
chenno
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

I recently purchased a so-called "barebones system", an AOpen XC cube EZ482; I have not been successful running Gentoo.

olavi wrote:

2. What kind of motherboard do you have and what chip (K8T890, nForce4...) does it have?
3. What kind of SATA/RAID chip(s) does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work?
4. What kind of ethernet chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use (name, propiertary/free) and does it work?
5. What kind of audio chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work? (in/out? 5.1? s/pdif?)
6. What kind of wifi chip does it have? What kind of driver do you use and does it work?
9. Are there general problems with the motherboard? Any additions (like required kernel parameters)?

Kernel version: 2.6.12-gentoo-r6.
Integrated motherboard, chipset is ATI Radeon Xpress 200.
I am not using SATA.
Ethernet is Marvell Yukon Gigabit 88E8053. I tried with sk98lin and the newer skge drivers, but they do not work; the Ethernet light is not even on. It did not work with the installation live CD either.
No wifi chip.
I have not tried much else: audio, usb, pci-e or anything. Not having a working NIC is a showstopper.

I was eager to try Gentoo, but I don't know enough to solve these problems. I did not find any information on the EZ482 on the Gentoo site, so I am hoping that someone more knoledgeable will get around to making it work. I think I will stick to openSUSE for the time being.

Update: I think the problem lies in the sk98lin driver distributed with the kernel. As reported elsewhere, patching the kernel with a fresh version of the driver from syskonnect.com should make the Marvell Yukon work. Not easy though, since the machine has no network; I will eventually (and hopefully) try that.

Update 2: I downloaded the new sk98lin driver from www.syskonnect.com, patched my kernel (fairly easy to do with the provided script, by the way) and got the network card going. Now I am having trouble with the ATI IXP sound card; the snd-atiixp module loads, but ALSA is not working yet. Also, when I emerge something the keyboard and mouse do odd things. The on-board ATI Raden X300 card locks sometimes when changing from X session to tty, and only works on 1280x1024 resolution with the "vesa" driver. I.e. it's all a big mess for a newbie. But I'm happy, I'm making progress.

Last edited by chenno on Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total
loftwyr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My turn -- Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (Nforce4)

1. Currently 2.6.13-r5

2. Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (Nforce4)

3. Sata_nv works very well, no problems

4. forcedeth loads but I only use wireless so I can't tell how good it is.

5. AC97 compatibe 8.1. Alsa loads the Intel8x0 driver. Works well but occassionally cuts off if I switch X session

6. No wifi on board

7. All work, no tweaks

8. ACPI works. Powernow with my X2 chip caused all kinds of problems with X (keyboard would cut out) and ndiswrapper (cut out). Had to disable.

9. None
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

olavi wrote:

1 2.6.14

2 Asrock DualSata2, ULi M1695

3 onboard ULi 1567 2 Ports, Raid possible, recognized by inkernel drivers, don't have a drive to test.
+JMicron JMB360 1 Port SataII, no driver.

4 integrated in chipset, 10/100mbit ethernet

5 Realtec 850+chipset, supported by ac97 kernel driver

6 none

7 pci-e not tried, no card. Gameport, not tried, no joystick, usb2.0&1.1 are working, board has no firewire support.

8 cool'n' quiet works. Board powers off via acpi, S3/S4 swsusp not tried

9 no, no problems

Board has AGP&PCIe. and I am using the AGP port, without any problems and with a decent speed.
The board does not need any special parameters or kernel tweaks. It just works. And it is cheap. And it has a socket-upgrade slot ;)

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
julioromano
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanilla-sources-2.6.14
Gigabyte GA-K8VT890-9 with VIA KT890 chipset (using Athlon64 3000+ Venice core)
VIA 8237R southbridge integrated SATA (working with kernel driver)
Marvell Yukon PCIe Gigabit Ethernet (working with Marvell Yukon Driver patched into the kernel)
Onboard audio not tested (disabled, using a dedicated soundcard)
No wifi.
PCIe and USB2 working with standard kernel driver (Ati RadeonX800XL DRI working with ATI proprietary driver).
Cool'n'Quet working, ACPI working but not for hardware monitoring (use smbus sensors for that).
No particular problems, only that this board do not suport dualcore Athlons :(

Bye
Marco
3BEPb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.14-gentoo
2.6.14-g.bsys3.12 #1 PREEMPT Mon Oct 31 10:56:05 EET 2005 x86_64

DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D
Nforce4

nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev a3)
Driver Nvidia SATA from kernel

NVIDIA Gigabit LAN co-supported by Marvell Alaska 88E1111 PHY chip (Transceiver)
Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit LAN

Using driver skge - stable
Using forcedeth - i'm think that its stable in kernel-2.6.14, connected via crossover cable to other computer, transfered 156GB of videos from there without any problem.

Karajan audio - i'm not using it, have SB Live! . Sound module is not plugged to the MB.

7. Do pci-e, usb, firewire workd? Any tweaks needed?
Works. Not needed, for USB you must enable both EHCI and OHCI.

powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron processors (version 1.50.4)
powernow-k8: 0 : fid 0xa (1800 MHz), vid 0x6 (1400 mV)
powernow-k8: 1 : fid 0x2 (1000 MHz), vid 0x12 (1100 mV)
Null Pointer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

Kernel Version: 2.6.12-gentoo-r6
Motherboard: Asus A8V-E, K8T890
SATA/RAID: Integrated VIA VT6420
Ethernet: Integrated Marvell 88E8053. Does not function. No LiveCD modules work, downloaded tarball cannot be used (because there are no kernel sources to patch on the LiveCD). Another showstopper.
Sound: Audigy 2. Works satisfactorily (on a completed Gentoo install - this isn't)
Wifi: None.
PCI-E, USB, firewire and gameport status: Impossible to determine.
Cool N' Quiet, power management and ACPI status: Difficult to determine.
Problems: It is not possible to install Gentoo on this system using available LiveCDs.
badchien
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D - (Nforce4)

There are plenty of good reports already for this board, but I have to add that I use the nvidia nic with the forcedeth driver and it is completely stable. I've used that nic/driver for 10 months now without a single problem.
enrique
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's collect information about S939 PCI-E motherboards! Reply with quote

Vanilla 2.6.14.2

Abit AN8 SLI, nForce4 SLI chipset

NV SATA 3G RAID, the sata_nv modules should work (I don't have any SATA drives) PATA also works fine

NV GbE LAN, works with open source forcedeth module

ABIT AudioMAX, but I do not use noboard sound, I have a SB Live! so I can't say anything about it.

None

PCI-e, USB, Firewire work, the motherboard does not have a gameport

Cool n' quiet, power management and acpi works, no tweaks needed.

Nope
janiskr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFI LP UT Ultra-D
here are already some good replies about that mobo.
i will just add, that im using bad (not working correctly some time) and cannot compile binutils and gcc for these occasions i just set it from DRR400 (default is DDR333 for these modules) to DDR266 :roll:

and windwos just doesnt work at all due to RAM :D
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be figuring out the SLI-DR Expert soon enough. It will work, I know for sure. I'll just report back as to how well.
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
killefiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2.6.15-gentoo

Quote:

ASUS A8S-X / SIS 756 + 965L

Quote:

The SATA-Chip is detected by the kernel as SiS 182 chipset. It works well with the 2.6.15 sata_sis module.
(It does need at least 2.6.14 IIRC)

Quote:

Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
Works flawless with the in-kernel driver.

Quote:

ADI AD1986A SoundMAX 6-channel audio codec with S/PDIF out

I haven't tried to get sound of it yet but according to google it should be supported by alsa.

Quote:

The board doesn't have wifi.

Quote:

pci-e and usb work out of the box. Gameport not tested. The board doesn't have firewire.

Quote:

Works with the in-kernel conservative cpufreq scheduler.

Quote:

No - I'm very happy with this board.

--
killefiz
thumper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killefiz;

I was looking at the A8S-X board, looks nice, found this in my searches;

http://www.linux-tested.com/results/asus_a8s-x.html

and audio drivers;

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/uop/view/6075/

I'd be interested to hear if they work. :D

George
jhunholz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.14-r4

A8N-SLI Premium; nForce4 chipset

nForce chip and Silicon Image chip; I've only tried the nForce ones and that works fine; I'm using the sata_nv driver

It has nForce ethernet and and a Marvell ethernet; both work fine (marvell with the sk98lin and nForce with the forcedeth)

nvidia AC'97 audio controller; works perfectly

no wifi chip

pci-e, usb, and firewire work perfectly; I've not tried the gameport.

I haven't played with these yet.

No real problems that I've noticed. It didn't like the latest 2005.1 livecd for gentoo, but an older one worked fine.
longship
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: ASUS A8N-Sli Premium -- Works well under 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 Reply with quote

olavi wrote:
I'd like to collect some s939 pci-e motherboard compatibility information. I hope you contribute! :) Edit: Now we have some information about nForce4 based boards, how about K8T890?

1. Linux version 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 compiled manually. No configuration issues.

2. ASUS A8N-Sli Premium -- nForce4 chipset (passively cooled).

3. nForce4 controller with RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, and JBOD for both SATA II and PATA. Sil3114R SATA (SATA 150? unsure?) controller with RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5, and JBOD. Currently I am only using the nForce4 controller.

I am using standard kernel software RAID using mdadm on the nForce4 controller. Works beautifully and very fast. (see below)

4. nForce4 Gigabit + Marvell Gigabit. I am using only nForce4 NIC compiled into kernel (not module). Works flawlessly.

5. Realtek ALC850 8 channel. ALSA compiled into kernel (no modules). Loaded perfectly, first time. This chip reportedly works fine, but I have not tested it beyond seeing that ALSA mixer recognizes card and controls. I suspect that everything is fine with no problems.

6. No WiFi

7. PCI-e. Works great, right out of the box. Sli, too. PCI-e kernel parm.
USB -- 10 ports!! use EHCI and OHCI kernel parms. Untested, but kernel sees them.
Firewire - OHCI-1394 kernel parm. Untested, but kernel sees them.
Game -- Yes. Kernel recognizes it.

I expect all of these to work out of the box when I get to them.

8. Not going to use Cool n' Quiet. Reportedly works.

9. MoBo booted first time from installation disk (2005.1 AMD64). All was recognized immediately, out of the box. I generally selected nForce4 options in kernel when I compiled. Very happy with compatibility.

Re: Software (kernel) RAID
-------------------------------
I didn't even try the BIOS RAID, nor will I, as this is a Linux-only box.

Kernel RAID was straightforward, with minor gliches installing GRUB. Please use mdadm tools instead of /etc/dmtab. This makes software RAID a no-brainer. Enable kernel modules and you're home free. Works out of the box.

One caveat. Motherboard BIOS allows ordering of the controllers to be changed. When installing GRUB one has to first specify the original, physical controller order while installing GRUB in MBR. Then change grub.conf to the order specified in the BIOS. Also, GRUB install *requires* manual installation through the GRUB shell (specifying the logical drive!). Other than that, software RAID just plain works.

Re: Hardware Sensors
--------------
This is working via lm_sensors. I'm still fine tuning which kernel parameters are required. Docs online are for earlier kernels so I'm in new territory here.

Solved! See this post
Motherboard has control of CPU fan and one Chassis fan. Other fans are uncontrolled. Sensors reported are the positive voltages, the two controlled fans, and three temp probes (CPU, Northbridge, motherboard).

Re: Overclocking
-------------------
In on-line reviews this motherboard is reported to have very good overclocking features.

I am not overclocking the CPU (AMD 64 X2 4400+), nor will I.

My memory modules are Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT, which are 1T 3-4-4-8. I am running them per Corsair specification at 400MHz and 1T 3-4-4-8. These modules are reported to be *very* overclockable. My system seems to be very stable in this configuration.

Re: Board Layout, Misc issues.
--------------------
Generally awesome, with minor issues.

PCIe SLI connectors are spread apart by two slots, leaving room for many supplemental GPU cooling systems, even in Sli mode.

Northbridge is passively cooled via heat pipe to a radiator next to the CPU. This leaves plenty of room for the PCIe boards. This chip gets very hot (untouchable). You'll want to make sure that air moves across its radiator. My Lian Li case (PC-V1000A Plus) does a good job of this with a 12 cm ducted case fan blowing directly on the radiator and CPU.

You'll want to put in two SDRAM modules, *not* four. With four SDRAM modules, AMD memory controller cannot handle DDR400 and falls back to DDR333. This has been widely reported. If you want top speed, your memory is limited to 2 Gbytes. This shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Re: Conclusions, Comments
---------------------------------
I am very happy with this motherboard. It is as close to perfect as I could want.

The Lian Li PC-V1000 Plus case is a great match for this board's features and does an excellent job keeping temperatures under control. This case is available in larger forms as the PC-V1200 Plus and the PC-V2000 Plus for those who require it. Expensive, but the best fit and finish in the business, to say nothing of quiet, cool, and awesome looking.

I generally eschew modules preferring to compile options directly into the kernel. The only modules I am using are for the sensors. On the very first boot with the custom kernel, all devices were recognized perfectly with no problems.

Word has it that an AMD A8N32 version of this is on its way to market, which has both PCIe (x16) slots running in full speed in Sli mode. It should be very pricey, but it could be the ultimate gaming motherboard, bar none.

I am extermely satisfied with this motherboard. In all respects it's a winner.

Issues: I wish the Sil SATA controller was SATA II. I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect it's SATA 150.
steelheart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.15-ck3 (used various 2.6.x)

MSI K8N SLI Platinum ( nForce 4 SLI )

nVidia SATA module: kernel supplied
RAID not tested

nVidia integrated module: forcedeth

integrated SB Live! 24 module: snd_ca0106 (ALSA)
in/out works fine
5.1 spdif not tested

none

pcie,usb,firwire - work
gameport - not tested

not tested

none encountered
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 2.6.15-r5 - gentoo-sources
2. Abit Fatality AN8-SLI - nvidia nForce4
3. Nvidia CK804 - I use nv_sata - 2x WD1600's in a software RAID0 / RAID1 combo scheme...LOVE IT!
4. Nvidia CK804 - used the forcedeth kernel driver...not too sure if this is the right one, but it works
5. Nvidia CK804 (generic Intel/AMD/Nvidia AC97) - currently use snd-intel8x0, only have L/R/C/Sub hooked up right now
6. N/A
7. PCI-E works wonderfully, using a PNY Geforce 6600 256MB; USB works fine; have no means for testing firewire; no gameport that I'm aware of
8. Yes - all of the above work great!

I know this is an nForce4 board, but lspci outputs the CK804 model number as well. If anyone disputes the forcedeth driver for my eth card, please speak up...I found it in the 10/100 section of the kernel config after much looking, and while my switch is indicating that the link has gig connectivity, I just don't feel too certain about it.

Aside from that, this board and setup SMOKES my previous board (Asus A8V-Deluxe - out on RMA, may never make it back in to my pc :lol: ). I'm highly pleased with everything about it - the look, the uGuru panel in one of my 5.25" bays, and the speed that it has added to my experience. Setup was pretty much a breeze, aside from the forcedeth ethernet driver.

OT - I cannot say enough how pleased I am with the the AMD64 release of Gentoo. It is really solid, and it's justified my purchasing of all this nice stuff :)

Cheers,
Wah
- Registered Linux User #418541
SteveBallmersChair
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Kernel version: 2.6.17-gentoo-r4 SMP PREEMPT

2a. Motherboard make/model: ABIT KN8-SLi
2b. Motherboard chipset: NVIDIA NForce4-SLi

3a. Kind of SATA RAID chips: NVIDIA integrated SATA and RAID.
3b. SATA/RAID driver: I use for (non-RAID setup) is "nv_sata." Works great for me as long as I compile it into the kernel statically. If I don't do that (module is the default,) the machine won't find / to finish booting.

4a. Ethernet chip: Integrated NVIDIA CK804 GbE.
4b. Ethernet driver: OSS "forcedeth" driver. Works like a champ.

5a. Audio chip: Integrated NIVIDIA CK804 AC'97 audio.
5b. Audio driver: it would use the "snd_i810" module and output 5.1 channels with S/PDIF. It works the little I have used it.
Note: I use a set of speakers that have a USB Audio interface and use the "USB Audio" kernel module to good effect as long as I do not turn the speakers off with the computer on. That crashes the sound system and has artsd restart and redirect sound to /dev/null until I restart artsd/alsa. An init 1 && init 5 does the trick every time I do that accidentally.

6. No Wifi chip on board. I use Ethernet only.

7. My first PCIe x16 and USB ports certainly work just fine and at full speeds. I don't have a FireWire peripheral to test FireWire with and I have no second video card, a PCIe x1 or PCI peripherals to test those slots/ports. My board lacks legacy game, serial, or parallel ports.

8. Cool 'n Quiet works and was set up properly on my X2 4200+ as long as I compile it into the kernel. Power management is not much of an issue on this unit as it's a desktop, but I can echo governors and get the CPU scaling pattern to differ from the default "ondemand" setting. I never needed to change the governor on the fly, but it works. Suspend2 does NOT work on this machine and I have not tried suspend-to-RAM. ACPI works, and I put it into the kernel boot parameters in grub.conf.

9. This motherboard works flawlessly with Linux. I added the acpi=on parameter to the boot prompt to ensure that ACPI is turned on so that my computer's fans can turn on and off as set up in BIOS.
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1st of all I got no connection to the home box atm so I cant check the specifics atm, sorry. I'll check them when I get back home.
1. gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r5
2. MSI-KGNM2-FID with nVidia 6150
3. the nvidia drivers ro forcedeth... well the ones which come with the kernel work well.
4. IIRC it has 1Gb ethernet chip, marvel yukon I guess. the there's good drivers in kernel and it was forcedeth drivers again IIRC.
5. I dont remember the specific chip but the audio works with intel HDA drivers. I've only tested normal stereo playback. dont have fancy hifi gear...
6. none
7. PCI-E not tested. the board comes with integrated GPU which is IIRC on PCI-E. USB works. I've not tested firewire. AFAIK there's no gameport.
8. ACPI works. Use the latest bios! cool n'q works as well as power management.
9. nopes
S4M4R0N3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1. Gentoo Sources - 2.6.15-gentoo-r7
2. Asus A8N-E - Nforce 4 Ultra
3. CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3) - sata_nv -> build in kernel, WORK
4. CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3) - WORK
5. Realtek ACL950 -> build in kernel WORK , 5.1 channels , driver modular not working
6. no have
7. PCI-E Work Fine with GF 6600GT eVGA , USB work all , firewire no have, gameport no tested. No
8. APM e APCI Work , Cool Quit no tested.
9. Audio only work with driver builder in the kernel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: