mplayer sluggish with cache
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: mplayer sluggish with cache Reply with quote

I have compiled mplayer myself MANY times because I've found it to be the best movie player around. One thing that I always noticed was that it would switch from movie to movie _really_ fast. Click on next, barely a flicker and the next clip was playing.

However, I just emerged mplayer 0.90_rc3 and I noticed something different. About a 1 second hiccup between movies. In the terminal where I started gmplayer where they have all those cool stats it says
Cache fill :

and then a % complete that goes up and then the movie starts.

What is that? Is this some feature that is in the ebuild by default that I was never using before? I don't really like it, but are there benefits to caching the movie? Is it buffering or something? What is the meaning of the universe? What is the fastest land mammal? Where are all my other socks?
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try disabling the cache "mplayer -nocache" and see what happens. Or adjusting the the size of the cache "mplayer -cache 8192"

I would of thought the cache was only useful when the media you were playing wasn't local.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: