Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Can we have Some SSH rsync servers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl_R
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can we have Some SSH rsync servers? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does Gentoo have a mechanism to "emerge --sync" over ssh?

I run Gentoo on my laptop that I occasionally use at work, behind the corporate firewalls. These firewalls never allow rsync default port traffic.
My friend running BSD laughs at me that Gentoo "still use rsync" for portage package data, and not even rsync over ssh.

Are there Gentoo mirrors that will allow the rsync daemon over ssh and better still do they listen on port 443 which is always open on our firewalls?

If so How can I tell the "emerge --sync" command to use ssh on port 443?

I know I can use "emerge-webrsync" but that seems kind of lame

Cheers

Karl

Last edited by Karl_R on Sun May 16, 2010 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you should read this thread : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-183146-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there are no official rsync mirrors offering ssh access or access over non-default ports. Doesn't mean they don't exist, but you'd be at the mercy of the mirrors admin. Also syncing over ssh isn't directly possible anway as emerge needs the rsync:// prefix in the SYNC url to determine the protocol to be used, which conflicts with the rsync syntax for ssh based connections. However you could of course just bypass emerge and call rsync directly, you can find the necessary options with `emerge --info | grep PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS` (depending on your setup you might have to call `emerge --metadata afterwards`).
few
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tell rsync to use ssh with the "-e ssh" option. I'm using this to sync against my binhost. This still gives you no server that allows this.

PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS (default + "-e ssh"):

"--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages -e ssh"

SYNC="rsync://<user>@<server>/gentoo-portage"
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

few wrote:
You can tell rsync to use ssh with the "-e ssh" option. I'm using this to sync against my binhost. This still gives you no server that allows this.

"--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages -e ssh"

If that works (it didn't when I tested it a few years ago) it's better to use PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS rather than messing with the defaults.
few
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
few wrote:

If that works (it didn't when I tested it a few years ago) it's better to use PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS rather than messing with the defaults.

Cool, didn't know that it exists.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah me too :P
Karl_R
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

This is helpful. I realise that there would be an issue with key distribution for official ssh mirrors, but it may solve my problem anyway. I just have to set up my own mirror and use the PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS flag. :)

Cheers

Karl
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: