Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ugly fonts (perhaps my last straw with Gentoo)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffinme
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zieloo wrote:

Nimbus Sans L
Almost perfect.

Thanks for the heads up on Nimbus Sans L

Using that and Clear have cleaned up 95% of all my font issues.
It takes Mozilla from one of the worst offenders to being usable.

Now if I could only get Porthole to use a decent font. ;-)
ukchucktown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achieving a pretty desktop in Linux is no easy task. I suppose that's why I invested so much of my own time figuring out how to do it and I'm still learning new tips and tricks every day. One suggestion not previously stated: try setting the DisplaySize option in the Monitor section of your xorg.conf file instead of using the DPI switch. It's similar to setting the DPI, but I found the results a little better when I measured the exact dimensions of my LCD using a ruler and entered those measurements in millimeters as my monitor's display size -- what a difference that made. I also replace certain fonts with better fonts in my /etc/fonts/local.conf file, specifically I replace Bitstream Vera Sans with Verdana, Helvetica with Arial, and Palatino with Georgia. That made some dramatic improvements in web pages. I also purchased a monospaced font called Pragmata that absolutely rocks under Linux. I use it almost exclusively under KDE (check the link with the screenshots). It finally convinced me that the key to a pretty desktop is having good fonts. All the tweaking in the world won't help if the fonts you are using suck.

Screenshots:
http://www.geocities.com/ukchucktown

UK
cajzell
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse a newbie question, but I am also struggling with my fonts. I try to change the ones we are using right now on this page, i.e. the text you are currently reading, in Firefox. If I go to Edit->Preferences->Fonts & Colors, changing any of the fonts serif, sans-serif or monotype makes a difference of this text. Shouldn't it?

[Edit: OK, I see now, this is only for pages where the fonts are not specified. Follow-up Question: How can I see which font is specified?]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: