View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: What are some non-fps Linux games? Reply with quote

Since i still use my windows box for gaming.... i was curious what games are out there for linux that aren't fps games....

So far i have uplink.... but that's all....

I hear neverwinter nights will be released on linux as welll /me drools...

What other games are out on linux that aren't fps games? I reall would like to get rid of my windows box, but don't want to lose the ability to play the games.

Thanks
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What are some non-fps Linux games? Reply with quote

fuji wrote:
Since i still use my windows box for gaming.... i was curious what games are out there for linux that aren't fps games....

tuxracer seems to be popular with the masses. Never tried it myself, tho. NetHack absolutely rules, though I imagine you might be looking for games with a bit more candy coating than NetHack offers (it's a text-based game)

Have you browsed /usr/portage/apps-games? You might also try looking here and here

And, of course, there's always your friendly Google Search

--kurt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: ZSNES Reply with quote

Hi.

I enjoy playing SNES games with ZSNES. Currently I'm engaged in Final Fantasy 2 and Street Fighter 2. But there are other classics like Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, the list goes on... Maybe you should give it a go. :)
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever played chromium? Pretty cool arcade style game. You can waste an hour on it every now and then. It is included in the portage tree too, even better huh? emerge chromium ;)

Screenshot:
[img:0b31beed43]http://freshmeat.net/img/screenshots/1270.jpg[/img:0b31beed43]

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
fuji
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!

And all i hear is that game support sucks on linux... bah.... there's plenty to choose from!! :D

/me goes and checks the links and to find zsnes while chromium emerges :D

Thanks for the links and recommendations.... I really appreciate it :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can emerge zsnes as well. ;)
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromium kicks butt!
Even my girlfriend can play it, she loves it, and once you learn the rules, it will keep you occupied for a few hours. BTW, my girlfriend wants me to put linux on her P4 just cause most distro's come with neat games that she can't get in windows like Chromium and tuxracer :D!
Tuxracer is fun, but I am not all that great at it yet, but it shows off opengl on linux very nicely. Samegame is cool too! very good puzzle game, gnome and kde versions if I remember correctly.
And to dispell the "linux not for gaming" myth, I play all my games only on my linux box. Got my GeForce3 and Athlon 1600, play (fps's) Unreal Tournie, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake 3, and Counter-Strike 1.3 (valve broke wine with 1.4).
Game support in Linux is getting very good, and the wineX project (transgaming.com) is supposed to have directX 8 full emulation, which means you get most 3d games from windows thru emulation.

-Andrew
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a decent list:
http://holarse.wue.de/index.php?content=opensourcespiele

If anyone knows any other Linux games lists with links like this one please post them. (maybe something in english :)

Lots of games are working in WineX these days, I've played some Jedi Knight 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the SOF 2 demo with it.
http://www.transgaming.com/dogamesearch.php?keywords=&search=Search&working=4&order=working&showall=1

Few more links:
http://www.linuxgames.com/
http://www.tuxgames.com/
CoolMoDee

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Return To Castle Wolfinstein Reply with quote

You said that you were playing RTCW under wine, you can get it to run natively by getting the latest upgrade and copying your pak files from the windows install to the install for the linux version. Everygame that i play runs on linux natively (Heretic2,Quake,Quake3,Unreal,RTCW) except CS, but Wine does a fine job with that, hell i even get more FPS going through wine than my friend does running it in Windows. Gotta go play some kick arse games
garbageiscool2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must add frozen bubble to the list of games to play! my whole family will play this game and get this fight over who gets to use the linux computer to play it :D
rizzo
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many a work hour has been wasted on mah-jongg.
AnimalMachine
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're willing to purchase, I guess I'll throw you a link to lokigames.com. They may or may not be still selling boxed games as they've gone out of business. :cry: I personally got Q3, HoMM3, Myth2, Civ 2, and Kohan through them ... and Q3's the only fps of them.

There's an emerge for Falcon's Eye that is a neat graphical interface for nethack - though you may prefer the original ascii art version. Btw, if you like nethack, I recommend scoping out angband and zangband.

There's also freeciv, which is [surprise, surprise] a Civilization knock-off.

That's all that comes to my mind at the moment. You could also browse the game listings at freshmeat.net ...
friedmud
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

If your looking to purchase linux games go to www.tuxgames.com it is by far the best place to get your linux gaming fix

Derek
Xsez

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flightgear also rocks...
but ist a pain in the ass to compile it on your own (1000's of needed libs, i would be very happy, when its in the prtage tree)
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a month or two Bioware will be releaseing NeverWinter Nights (an RPG not MMO). You can check it out at www.bioware.com
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might make a suggestion, there is an excellent port / remix of "Tetris Attack" called "Crack Attack". It is in the portage tree.

It requires 3D acceleration. I'm not a big fan of Tetris, but this game is wonderful. And of course, there is always Emulation. I believe there are one or two N64 and PS1 emulators now available for Linux, and there is also MAME.

I love MAME. If you look around the net, you can find volunteers who will provide you with full sets of Roms at no cost - you just have to send the discs to them. And of course, there is always Wine[X] and the attendant Tony Hawk madness that will follow once I install it.

P.S. You can find more information on crack-attack here: http://qcd2.mps.ohio-state.edu/attack/
Ash

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pingus! It's digital crack!

Well, at least the levels that are playable. It comes with a level editor, so you can make your own games.

If you ever had the pleasure of playing Lemmings, you'll get a gas out of Pingus.
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are also a lot of rpg games.
most are in developpement though... have a look at arkhart : http://arkhart.nekeme.net/ which seems promising (the website is under heavy reconstruction ... its a french project, the english pages are not up to date... :)

also linuxgames.com should be in your bookmarks :)

Last edited by dioxmat on Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
AnimalMachine
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASCI Blue wrote:
In a month or two Bioware will be releaseing NeverWinter Nights (an RPG not MMO). You can check it out at www.bioware.com

Is it deja-vu, or have I been hearing this for years?

:twisted:
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:
If I might make a suggestion, there is an excellent port / remix of "Tetris Attack" called "Crack Attack". It is in the portage tree.

It requires 3D acceleration. I'm not a big fan of Tetris, but this game is wonderful. And of course, there is always Emulation. I believe there are one or two N64 and PS1 emulators now available for Linux, and there is also MAME.

I love MAME. If you look around the net, you can find volunteers who will provide you with full sets of Roms at no cost - you just have to send the discs to them. And of course, there is always Wine[X] and the attendant Tony Hawk madness that will follow once I install it.

P.S. You can find more information on crack-attack here: http://qcd2.mps.ohio-state.edu/attack/

Thanks for the info. Very useful.

You might also check out http://www.frozen-bubble.org/. It's a very cool game for linux!
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnimalMachine wrote:
ASCI Blue wrote:

Is it deja-vu, or have I been hearing this for years?

:twisted:

You've been hearing it for years and now you'll get something worth hearing. A gent off Bio's boards by the name of Beergeek (iirc) modified a version of Wine to work with the toolkit and model viewer.
gregcoit

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 5:34 am    Post subject: BZFlag Reply with quote

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this one. BZFlag is a version of Battle Zone - originally for irix, but ported to linux and winblows. Great lan/internet game, fantastic playability. It's in the portage (note, there's a bug in the latest version where servers have to be started from the command line).
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: BZFlag Reply with quote

gregcoit wrote:
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this one. BZFlag is a version of Battle Zone - originally for irix, but ported to linux and winblows.

Yeah, I don't know how I forgot this. We used to play this at uni along with XPilot - it's a real blast, and will play on almost anything that has some shade of GL. U of Indiana ( I think ) has some really good UDP servers to play on... but watch out for the lasers! :-)

Bryn.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen Bubble is fun. Its like Bubble Bobble only with the linux twist in there (a penguin instead of a dinosaur). Its really addictive though so watch your self ;)
EhobaX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Freecraft Reply with quote

This game seems to be taking off nicely.

It looks a LOT better than what it used to be when I last used it.
Nothing like them home-brewed games. :lol:

http://freecraft.net/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: