KMail, several identitys & qmail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: KMail, several identitys & qmail Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm using KMail with several identitys and want to setup qmail for sending the messages. KMail can't use qmail directly, so it's using the "sendmail" wrapper for qmail.

Works fine with one problem: The envelope sender address is set to username@hostname, but I want to have the From adress in there.

I can override this with QMAILSUSER and QMAILSHOST, but KMail is not able to set this variables depending on the From-adress or to pass an "-f adress" to sendmail. I don't want to restart KMail with new env variables every time I switch the identity :(.

How can I configure this? Or should I use another MUA?

TIA, Michael
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: KMail, several identitys & qmail Reply with quote

mvo wrote:
Works fine with one problem: The envelope sender address is set to username@hostname, but I want to have the From adress in there.

Not sure that the problem is with KMail. I'm not familiar with qmail, but I have almost the exact same setup you describe, except with exim as my mta. Exim has a feature called "local_from_check" which, when set to false, does not check to make sure the address specified in the "from" header matches the correct local sender of the message. Exim just trusts that the mail being handed to it has the correct from header. This setup works great and I'm able to send email from several different email addresses across multiple domains without exim munging the headers.

You might research whether or not a similar global override exists for the qmail configuration.

--kurt
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: KMail, several identitys & qmail Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

You might research whether or not a similar global override exists for the qmail configuration.

This is what I have found in the documentaion:
man qmail-inject wrote:

The default envelope sender address is the same as the default From address, but it can be overridden with QMAILSUSER and QMAILSHOST.
Normally, if Return-Path is supplied, it sets the envelope sender address, overriding all environment variables. Return-Path is deleted in any case.
OPTIONS
-fsender
Pass sender to qmail-queue as the envelope sender address. This overrides Return-Path and all environment variables.

So there are three ways for the MUA to set the envelope sender adress: Set the environment variables or supply the Return-Path or use the -fsender option.

Two questions: What means "default From adress", the qmail default or the From adress of the mail header? Is the complete header including the X-Envelope-From createt by KMail?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: