Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaazzzzz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:P
very good job
monstercoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem for a very long time.

It was quite depressing... my original gentoo system, back in 2001 was a pentium 4 with 256mb of rdram and a geforce3 64mb card. Under high load, Xorg ( Xfree86 back then) would lock up and crash or random X programs, like mozilla would randomly crash and disappear.

I upgraded my after dealing with this for years, to an opteron 142, nvidia 5900 ultra, and 512 registered PC3200 ram. To my dismay the same problems continued to occur despite the hardware changes and switch to amd64.

However, I seemed to have fixed the problem, I can now compile big programs, run kde and beryl with firefox and ktorrent running all at once. This was impossible to do before. What fixed the problem for me, was an upgrade to 1gb of dual channel PC3200 memory. I think this was a memory or swap issue in my case. I don't think the problem is solved, but I finally have a stable desktop thanks to the new memory.
KejPi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brainstorm35 wrote:
I think I've got the problem with X hard locks too. At least is seems to use 100% CPU, mouse can be moved but nothing else can be done.

Recently I noticed that it really often crashes when I'm typing something in the search bar in firefox :!: :?:

Reinhard

I have simillar problem with x.org now. But it is not connected to Firefox as I am not using it. But the symptoms are the same. I can move the cursor but X is locked and there is no response at all. The only solution is reset :-(
I didn't have this problem in past. It occurred first time in February. The lock happens only if there is some DPMS power saving mode for long time, e.g. if I let my computer run and come back after 2 hours it is locked. But if I set DPMS off manually it doesn't happen immediately. I have to wait some time to get to X lockup. I was using ~x86 version of X.org and there was an upgrade to 7.2 in the time when it began. So my first trial was to downgrade back to 7.1. Now I am using stable x86 version (7.1) and problem is still there.

Does anyone of you observed these problems in connection with DPMS?
Sannin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really the most annoying thing i have ever seen in linux. I can' t see any reasonable cause on this. I use the stable portage tree on my system packages, and the problem comes and goes all the time. For some months i didn 't have any problems, but lately i have everyday hardlocks.

I think it is very weird that the developers can' t do anything to fix it...
KejPi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end I have found out that in my case this is not a problem of X.org itself but a problem of superkaramba + KDE 3.5.6. In case superkaramba is not running or only one applet is running there is not problem with X lockups. I have already filled the bug on bugs.kde.org - http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=143255 - but there is no activity so far.
Sannin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this bug --> https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=169695 is very close to what i am facing...
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg-server-1.2.0-r2 has stopped eating my memory so far :)
rtomek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also turned off RenderAccel in my xorg.conf file, and that fixed my problem. I am running KDE 3.5.6 with SuperKaramba 0.41 and two widgets running. I'm glad that RenderAccel was the issue and not SuperKaramba itself. At least, on my machine SuperKaramba is not causing a lockup. I think this issue may have more to do with how your video card is handling the widgets, or firefox, or whatever else when you come back from your screensaver/locked screen. Maybe that is causing a video memory error?
rich0
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started running into this problem for the first time. I did install another hard drive over the weekend and compiled SATA support into the kernel, and I did just update xorg last week. However, the system was stable all weekend and suddenly it won't stay up for more than 20 minutes. Both the nvidia and nv drivers cause problems, but Xvnc works just fine.

I straced the X server and just got tons of SIGALARMs.

I tried upgrading nvidia-drivers and xorg-server to no avail.

I wondered if the new drive was causing power issues, but putting the still-idle drive in full sleep mode doesn't help (it can't be pulling that much power in that mode).

I could understand the issues using the proprietary nvidia module, but I'm having issues with nv as well. No real difference between them other than the one being much slower...
rich0
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: hardware related? Reply with quote

Well, I suspect my issue may be hardware related. After booting old kernels, recompiling with stripped-down CFLAGS, and a bunch of other stuff I noticed that the X display tended to look a little wavy - as if the pixels were dancing around a little. I then tried booting a knoppix DVD and that locked up too. I know that DVD worked many months ago, and obviously nothing changed on the DVD, so I'm suspecting this is a hardware issue.

And maybe that might help explain some of the problems others are having.

Maybe all my reboots and messing around while installing hard drives this weekend triggered the death of my video card. It wasn't all that old - not quite 2 years. Oh well...
taguchiv6
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm not Gentoo user, I'm a FreeBSD user :oops:
But I had same probrem.

I think Disabling DPMS is a workaround.
Since I've remove 'Option "DPMS" line from my xorg.conf,
My X seem work fine.
dlublink
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

This week I had a problem with my X using 100% of my CPU, although it didn't lock up it went really slowly.

I disabled transparency on my gnome-terminal and everything started working normally again.

I don't know if it is related, but here is the link anyway.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-557506-highlight-.html

David

Locked by NeddySeagoon in favour of [url=https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4055117.html#4055117]Part III[/url]
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked by NeddySeagoon in favour of Part III

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37
Page 37 of 37

Jump to: