Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question, are you using the "pic" or have you ever used it, probably it is nothing, but we could isolate the flags one by one. Till now it seems that nptl and nptlonly seem to have no relation to this problem (I have tried the both of them, someone said that he had lockups with the 2.4-series kernel headers, which effectively excludes them).
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
trappix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had absolutely no luck the past week, still consistant predictable lockups with all versions of xorg, including the latest 6.8.99.5.. i want to give gnome a whirl since it appears to be KDE related on my box.. hey all you portage geniuses, how do i remove qt and all that depends on it, i specified in my use flags "kde qt -gtk -gtk2 -gnome" so i effectively want to reverse that, any commands that might help?
scooper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Trappix - before you experiment with stripping out KDE I would point out that I have the problem on a WindowMaker-based xorg. I have just a few Gnome apps and no KDE, because of the compile cost.
MalachiX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chonger wrote:
Reporting back:

For what its worth, I haven't had any more problems after switching to gnome. This is not the solution to my problem, but at least its buying my system some stability so it doesn't freeze my server everytime I go to work

You can't get away from a problem that affects xorg just by switching desktop environments. The new environment you are on may live slightly longer but sooner or later your going to experience a freeze. I am speaking from experience because I used to use Mandrake with Kde and had constant lockups.

Out of frustration I switched my distro and environment to Fedora with Gnome. Gnome was a little more stable but I still experienced freezes, I just didn't experience the freezes as often for some reason. Eventually even the freezes there became annoying so I switched to gentoo, and here the freezes only show up about once a week on fluxbox. In the long run we have to solve the problem though.
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalachiX wrote:
chonger wrote:
Reporting back:

For what its worth, I haven't had any more problems after switching to gnome. This is not the solution to my problem, but at least its buying my system some stability so it doesn't freeze my server everytime I go to work

You can't get away from a problem that affects xorg just by switching desktop environments. The new environment you are on may live slightly longer but sooner or later your going to experience a freeze. I am speaking from experience because I used to use Mandrake with Kde and had constant lockups.

Out of frustration I switched my distro and environment to Fedora with Gnome. Gnome was a little more stable but I still experienced freezes, I just didn't experience the freezes as often for some reason. Eventually even the freezes there became annoying so I switched to gentoo, and here the freezes only show up about once a week on fluxbox. In the long run we have to solve the problem though.

Try the boot params I suggested and your problems will be done. This is kernel related issue.
lunarg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lockups of X actually when away as soon as I upgraded from latest gentoo-sources-2.4 to latest gentoo-sources-2.6.
Running latest stable Xorg on nvidia (Gf4go) with KDE 3.3.2 on a Toshiba laptop (p4m 1.7ghz, 512mb ram)

While running 2.4, X (XFree and later Xorg) would sometimes lockup, completely blocking my system. Since I never had that problem before, I always presumed it to be a problem with ndiswrapper (to drive a Linksys WPC54G), because it was the only hardware that changed/was added, and it would sometimes cause a kernel oops at boot.
But even without the card inserted and module loaded, it would lockup, mostly after playing games, notably the Linux port of Doom 3 (which would lockup just about everytime upon exiting the game).

After that, I upgraded to gentoo-sources-2.6 with latest unstable ndiswrapper. The unstable ndiswrapper doesn't cause any kernel oopses anymore, and seems to be running fine.
Because of 2.6.11, I had to install ~x86 nvidia: the result was that KDE would hang upon the splashscreen. Disabling RenderAccel seemed to helped a lot, because after that I really never had any lockups of X before.
This might not be of much help, but I'm not using ntlp or pic in my USE flags, and my CFLAGS are not that aggressive:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer"

Also note that my pc at work (which has similar configurations: celeron 1.7ghz, 512mb ram, riva tnt2 m64) doesn't lockup either.
Registered linux user #341804
Visit Black Manticore: http://www.blackmanticore.com/
converter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions:

1) is there a definitive bug in bugzilla for this issue?

2) has anyone considered comparing I/O schedulers to see if there's any relationship?

3) is there a wiki (or some better tool if there is one) we might use to begin the process of comparing configurations?
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

converter wrote:
Questions:

1) is there a definitive bug in bugzilla for this issue?

2) has anyone considered comparing I/O schedulers to see if there's any relationship?

3) is there a wiki (or some better tool if there is one) we might use to begin the process of comparing configurations?

I killed all but the cfq scheduler in the kernel, dumped all but the vesa fb, and passed the idle=poll, noapic and nolapic params to kernel and lowered the maxtor drive to udma3 and for what it's worth, my X/kde/fluxbox sessions haven't frozen since. Before all that, in kde, loading openoffice would almost certainly freeze X. I have loaded every app available, and set multiple background processes going, with a load avg approaching 6, then open and closed openoffice and over and over again. I'm amd64 ... I believe this is not just an X or kde prob, but is an issue in the kernel that gets triggered or exacerbated by X/kde, etc. God willing, I've solved the problem on my box, though these tweaks may be unacceptable to others with different uses.

--
Can you hear the cry of the lizard?
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converter, someone has recommended his kernel config (in the first thread), which was without the anticipatory scheduler, I've excluded it too but there were no difference. I looked at my config now and I have noop, anticipatory, deadline and [cfq](this one is used). But this is probably far-fetched, because there were people reporting the same problems with 2.4 series of kernels, if I correctly recollect the contents of the whole thread :::)))
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
Freiburg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

my computer only freezes after compiling, so it might be an interrupt problem...
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freiburg wrote:
Hi,

my computer only freezes after compiling, so it might be an interrupt problem...

thus, noapic, etc. ...
alligator421
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had those odd lockups.
I can't exactly spot the time when it happened several months ago,
but I remember it started when I upgraded a lot of stuff like glibc,gcc,xorg and proprietary nvidia drivers.
Some versions of the nvidia drivers were locking up more quickly than others.
6629 was the most stable I think for my geforce2mx.
I'm using the latest nvidia drivers by now with some new hardware geforce6600GT pci-express.
Option "NvAGP" "0" in xorg.conf (I was using NvAGP 1 before and I don't use the in-kernel agpgart) fixed the problem for me.
I don't quite understand what does the NvAGP option actually do (some performance tweaks for the agp bus ?!).
Anyway, I had no performance loss from switching that option from 1 to 0 and I had no lockups at all since.

edit :
currently on nvidia 1.0.7174-r4 and xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1
chonger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: Gnome now freezes frequently Reply with quote

I think we all believe that the root cause is coming from xorg. To see if this is true regarding my system, I have turned off xorg and see if it is going to run without freezing for a while.

Over the weekend I experienced more frequent freezes. I upgraded to the latest kernel and re-compiled glibc. The reason why I recompiled glib was because I had built my and ran my kernel with nptl support for a long time, but never rebuilt glibc with nptl support. Having nptl in glibc and kernel does not help. That's why I am resorting to turning off my xorg server now.

I will report back on whether this is helping my system or not.

If it doesn't improve my stability then I believe I have some other issues (bad MB/cpu or something else?). If it does stop the freezes then I think it indicates that xorg has been the problem.
fotisaueb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inserted nolapic flag on grub but with no success
As far as I remember on part 1 of this topic some users turned of the APIC option from kernel but lockups didn't stop
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotisaueb wrote:
I inserted nolapic flag on grub but with no success
As far as I remember on part 1 of this topic some users turned of the APIC option from kernel but lockups didn't stop

did you try also "ide=poll"? I'm very curious to see how you do with ALL these options activated together.

what about "noapic"? [you mentioned just "nolapic"]
MalachiX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added the idle=poll noapic noacpi and even added noapm. My system has not frozed. Instead, one time when it seemed like it was going to freeze it just got real sluggish for 30 seconds and then it began running again with no problems. I have been running for 2 days now with no problems. I'll see how this works a week from now but I really think this is an answer. Normally I would have experienced a freeze by now.
pludodog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been experiencing this problemwith the 7167 nvidia drivers, I'd run glxgears, and as soon as I either hit the x to close the program, or even moved the window, the system would freeze with X at 100% cpu, and I couldn't kill it or get the screen back (Could still move the mouse though). I just downgraded to 6629-r4 and did an emerge - e world. I ran glxgears and move the window, and alas, it appeared to freeze. However, I clicked on the terminal, and after about three minutes it popped up, and I was able to kill glxgears. Dropped from about 93 frames per second to .5 during the freezing, so I suppose there's something there. I had added the noapic noacpi options a while back with the older drivers, but it didn't seem to help.
nbkolchin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is correct thread...

I have X11 lockups with QT4 Arthur demo. Everything else work. Machine is in hard freeze --- no ssh connection possible. Anybody else have this problem?

Enabling/Disabling RenderAccel in xorg.conf don't change anything.

This issue is very bad, cause I'm porting QT application to new version now.

Versions:
kernel-2.6.11.4
glibc-2.3.5 (nptl)
gcc-3.4.3.20050110-r2
xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1
nvidia-kernel-1.0.7174
nvidia-glx-1.0.7174-r4
barureddy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Somewhat a Solution Reply with quote

For people with older video cards (geforce2), they only way I could get RenderAccel to work is use the older nvidia video drivers, 6629. Now it works great. Though kompmgr is not perfect, it has been getting much better quickly and in a year, it should be aproaching comercial quality.
kopfsalat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was haunted for months by the same problem as the original poster in Thread No.1.

Symptoms: freezes occur randomly, X in some loop at max cpu, mouse still moves, ssh works, XID error 13 in dmesg.
This is on an athlon xp with a geforce 4 ti on a 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 kernel.

Problem went away for a few days, sometimes weeks, thought I (or portage) solved it, then it would reappear out of the blue.

Most of the time I use a system backup I created in december that runs absolutely stable. So much about using a "bleeding edge" distro.
It has the same kernel configuration, so it's no acpi, apic, .... issue related to the kernel config in my case.

For me the problem was finally reproducable by simply viewing
http://computer.ytmnd.com/
in konqueror, a link I found in the nvnews forums.

Well, I just downgraded stuff, till the page loaded without freezing.
Putting
Code:

>=media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629
>=media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.6629

into /etc/portage/package.mask.

and emerging the dated 6111 nvidia drivers, the page loaded finally. nsplugin segfaulted, though, but I can live with that.

I hope it stops the random freezes, too. I will keep you posted.
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: i think its fixed :) Reply with quote

I think the problem kinda disapeared from my machine.
Got an uptime of 8 days using the nvidia drivers and no hardlocks or freezes - the bad thing is I have no idea how/what fixed it.
;)
ps: kernel 2.6.12-rc4 ( full ~amd64 - no-multilib profile )

*update*
since it was running so well, i decided to try the composite stuff to get some shadows going .. well it locked up instantly :D
So for sure im not messing with composite again in any near future.
linux: #232767

Last edited by ikaro on Thu May 19, 2005 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
brullonulla
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it can help, but I yesterday experienced my first hard freezes / lockups with Gentoo.

I'm running kernel 2.6.10, with latest Xorg. Radeon 9200 running on free drivers (not the ATI proprietary ones) and DRI enabled.

I experienced two lockups. The first just after switching with Ctrl-Alt-F8 from an X session to another. Rebooting the machine, me and my roommate tried to reproduce the freeze opening two X sessions and switching between them a couple of times. Nothing happened, but after 20 minutes of navigation with Firefox the machine locked up again. Checking with memtest86 overnight I was sure there were no memory/motherboard errors.

I never experienced any lock up before, but I really rarely started more than one session before.
Don't know if they're X freezes or kernel freezes. Logs of both programs tell me nothing.
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing great with the ide=poll noapic [see above]. I turned DRI back on. Then it froze solid trying to load openoffice.

still testing.
MalachiX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalachiX wrote:
I have added the idle=poll noapic noacpi and even added noapm. My system has not frozed. Instead, one time when it seemed like it was going to freeze it just got real sluggish for 30 seconds and then it began running again with no problems. I have been running for 2 days now with no problems. I'll see how this works a week from now but I really think this is an answer. Normally I would have experienced a freeze by now.

I have to report that the parameters didn't fix the issue. I ran limewire and experienced a hard lock. I also downgraded to the nvidia 6111 drivers. That downgrade didn't help either. The last part for my new computer should be comming in the mail tommorow. I'll only be using this computer for a week or so before I turn it into a server and just switch to my new desktop.
gotaserena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to reemerge the 6.8.1 branch? Until this problem is solved I cannot afford to risk the 6.8.2, and I can't find ebuilds for the older versions either...

And to think that my machines went on 30 and 60 days with 6.8.1.904... Why oh why I had to upgrade? :cry:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 3 of 37

Jump to: