devfs question (dvd)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: devfs question (dvd) Reply with quote

Hi. I'm a new gentoo user, and I'm trying to figure out how to set up my system to play dvds and write cds.

I have a dvd on secondary master and a cdrw on secondary slave. I have scsi emulation and udf compiled in the kernel correctly, I think. but I can't use them yet, except for reading normal cds. So instead of complaining about it, I thought I'd ask a few questions to try and sort out the problem from the start. So here's the first one.

Does devfs always put the devices in the same place? not the symlinks, I mean stuff like ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/... Can I know for certain which are the primary locations for my two drives? Assuming the cdrw is under scsi emulation, where can I find it? I'd like to know the original locations of my two drives, so I can test if it is a problem with the symlinks, set my fstab correctly, and eliminate this possibility from troubleshooting.

After I find out the original locations, should I make the symlinks in the devfsd.conf file or manually? what are the differences between the two approaches?

That's it for now. I'll make other questions once I get and try the answers to these ;)
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, yes, they should always have that same long name.
But, AFAIK they should also be given the same symlink also.

I can't help much with your DVD drive but I'm guessing you just haven't gotten your v4l stuff configured correctly. I can't remember but you may need to add "dvd" to your use flags for certain programs to have dvd support. I'm not sure if it could be a problem or not, but also make sure they are looking at your dvd drive for the dvd and not your cdrom drive (xine seems to like the idea of trying to use my cdrom as a dvd player... I don't know if it would wise up if I really had a dvd player or not..)

For your cdplayer there is a very good chance you don't have your permissions set up correctly for burning cd's. There is some group (cdrw I think?) that you need to add all the users to that you want to be able to burn cd's. You may also have to chgrp a few files to the right group but I don't know.
To check if it's the permissions try burning a cd as root, root should be able to burn cds.

My GPG/PGP Public key
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I have my regular user both in the cdrw and video groups, dvd is in the use flags, and I installed xine correctly I think. can you please tell me the "correct" long names for a dvd on sec master and a cdrw (with scsi emu) on secondary slave?

Astro
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you'll find your cdrw living happily in "/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd" ( you can use 'generic' instead of 'cd' if you are so inclined ), and your cdrom will take /dev/cdroms/cdrom0? If you do an "ls -al" in that directory, look to the one that's pointing to the IDE bus... for example:

Code:
bash-2.05b$ ls -al *
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           33 Jan  1  1970 cdrom0 -> ../ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 Jan  1  1970 cdrom1 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Incidently, unless you've done something drastically amazing with your DevFS config, you can still use the oldstyle names like /dev/hdc, etc, with no penalty.

-- Curious
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm, this might be a problem. My /dev/scsi directory is empty.
as for my /dev/ide subdirectories, ls /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/ is also empty, and /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd is there. what's up here?
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astromarine wrote:
erm, this might be a problem. My /dev/scsi directory is empty.
as for my /dev/ide subdirectories, ls /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/ is also empty, and /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd is there. what's up here?

It looks like it's seeing your cddrive (the one on secondary slave) as an ide drive. I'm guessing that somewhere or another you don't have scsi-emulation configured correctly, or you are missing something in your kernel. To use scsi-emulation you have to pass a line like "hdd=scsi" (I believe that would be correct for you cdrw..
So you should edit your grub.conf file and change
Code:

kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda?

to something like:
Code:

kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda? hdd=scsi

(Substitute the correct location for your root partition instead of "/dev/hda?" in both cases of course ;)

For you dvd drive I am going out on a limb but it sounds like you don't have support for it in your kernel at all. I would help out more on it but I dont' have much experience with DVD drives in linux.

My GPG/PGP Public key
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, this might be a hint. You're saying that the secondary master is *always* hdd even if I have only one hard drive and 2 cdroms? because my relevant line in grub.conf is:

kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi

maybe I should changeit to hdd?
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astromarine wrote:
hmmm, this might be a hint. You're saying that the secondary master is *always* hdd even if I have only one hard drive and 2 cdroms? because my relevant line in grub.conf is:

kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda3 hdc=ide-scsi

maybe I should changeit to hdd?

Yes, you should.
Primary Master is always hda
Primary Slave is always hdb
Secondary Master is always hdc
Secondary Slave is always hdd
Always.

That would explain why you dvd drive isn't working as well. It is trying to emulate scsi support for it and has no clue what to do.

My GPG/PGP Public key
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, made the change and also put ide-scsi in modules.autoload *blush*. Now I get the /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd correctly, and also
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

I have the /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/ directory there, but no "cd" file inside it. is this correct?

if so, I'll go to the next step: configuring symlinks to the devices :)
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astromarine wrote:
ok, made the change and also put ide-scsi in modules.autoload *blush*. Now I get the /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd correctly, and also
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

I have the /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/ directory there, but no "cd" file inside it. is this correct?

if so, I'll go to the next step: configuring symlinks to the devices :)

With the exception of it seeming to think your dvd drive is a cd drive that looks right. Like I said, I haven't played withdvd drives in linux so that might be what it's supposed to look like.

If you are using devfsd (and you should be...) you shouldn't have to put anything in modules.autoload and you shouldn't have to make symlinks... But I dunno. Maybe it's one of those YMMV things and it just likes making things for me so I don't have to..

My GPG/PGP Public key
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the modules.autoload thingy is one of the steps required in the installation docs, so...

as for the symlinks, I'm trying to uncomment the correct lines in /etc/devfsd.conf and rebooting, to see how it goes.
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. if you compiled kernel module autoloader support (why wouldn't you?!?!) then I still think you don't need anything in modules.autoload.. However I compiled all my cdrom stuff into the kernel instead of using modules so I haven't experimented with it so I could be wrong.

My GPG/PGP Public key
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Bottom line, it all appears to be correct. all files exist, and all symlinks were created correctly with the /etc/devfsd.conf change. Now I can't test any more without going home, I can't put cds in the drives by ssh ;)

thanks for the help, I'll report on the status later.

Astro
Astromarine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as promised, status report. I enjoyed a nice run of ST:TNG episodes in my PC yesterday night :) dvd worked fine with a normal user, a bit choppy but better as soon as I turned on hdparm -d1 :)

I've installed gcombust and it detected the burner ok, I didn't test it because I had no cds, but it looked ok.

thanks for the help, guys :D

Astro
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: