View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thumbnail problems Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:
surian wrote:
Thanks, but that didn't seem to do anything. I don't have any modifiers on. Just for good measure though, I did try to toggle them on and off but to no avail.

Upload your config somewhere (or use a pastebin: http://rafb.net/paste).

-- Thomas Adam

Thanks, I posted it here ->http://rafb.net/paste/results/EHjEPr45.html
varikin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Add desktop name to FvwmButtons Reply with quote

I have been twiddling with Taviso's FvwmBar (FvwmButton based taskbar - very nice) to make it act similiar to pypanel. I have a swallowed FvwmIconMan and a clock. Now I am trying to have a button that displays the current desktop. How would I accomplish this?

I tried:

Code:
*FvwmBar: (10x1, Title $[desk.name] )

But that did not work. I don't even know if I have the variable right.
cubancigar11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!
I am using taviso's fvwm config file and everything is fine. But I want to use gkrellm instead of xosview. Is it possible? I want to use certain modules of gkrellm only, like disk module, memory module etc.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gkrellm too. gkrellm is monolilthic, you can only deactivate modules for an existing instance. But you can start more than one instance if you want to split to seperate places of the desktop.
I am afraid you will have to edit the config to achieve this :roll:
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again all :wink:
I've been playing around and changing the looks of my Fvwm everything works great, except for one small thing. I'm trying to get an image that I've edited to work as the rootmenu title, it shows up though but the menu get twice as big as it should be and the icon shows up in the topleft and the menusettings shows up at the right side. This looks wierd
How it looks now (except that it's twice as wide):
Code:

--------------------------
|ICON                      |
|                    Apps >|
|                     Etc >|

I want the icon/image to be centered and the menu to be in normal width, is it possible or am I a dreamer?

BTW, my settings for the image is:
Code:

AddToMenu MenuFvwmRoot %fvwm_logo.png% title

TIA
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
zolar czakl
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try:
Code:
AddToMenu MenuFvwmRoot *fvwm_logo.png* title
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh, now I feel really dumb. Spent most of my time yesterday trying different settings and searching for an answer but didn't find anything
Works perfectly, thank you very much :)
nss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: FvwmBar Reply with quote

Currently I have a FvwmBar that swallows FvwmIconMan. This bar is located at the bottom of my screen. I would like to add another FvwmBar at the top of my screen. There I'll have other things inside the FvwmBar (besides FvwmIconMan), but am unsure how to do this. How do I get Fwvm to handle two instances of FvwmBar? I'm using the FvwmBar from Taviso's config, slightly modified.

--Update--
I figured out how to have two FvwmBar's. Things are working well but I can't seem to figure out how to make the LockingSlide function work for the top FvwmBar. Here's the code for the LockingSlide of the bottom FvwmBar. (Thanks taviso.)
Code:
DestroyFunc FvwmBarHideFunc
AddToFunc FvwmBarHideFunc
+ I WindowID $[bar.id] PipeRead 'echo LockingSlide keep $$(test $$(($[w.y]+$[w.height])) -le $[vp.height] \
    && echo w$$(($[w.height]-$1))p \
    || echo w-$$(($[w.height]-$1))p)'
+ I WindowID $[bar.id] PipeRead 'test $$(($[w.y]+$[w.height])) -le $[vp.height] \
    && echo SetEnv strut.bottom $[w.height] \
    || echo SetEnv strut.bottom $1'
+ I EwmhBaseStruts $[strut.left] $[strut.right] $[strut.top] $[strut.bottom]
+ I All (Maximized, !FvwmBar) Maximize True

Last edited by nss on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:52 am; edited 2 times in total
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged last post.
HotGinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Problem after migrating to modular X (solved) Reply with quote

The fvwm config file according to Taviso's fvwm2rc. After I migrated X11R6 to modular X, there are tow problems.
1. For the font settings,
"-bitstream-bitstream vera sans-medium-r-normal-*-10-*-*-*-p-*-iso10646-1, -misc-simsun-medium-r-normal-*-11-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1" works fine with X11R6, but for modular X can only show English properly, for Chinese, the text is incomprehensible.

2.After minimize the windows, show the program icons but not thumbnail on the desktop.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know why there is such a holdup getting new versions of fvwm in portage? Now we are 2 versions out of date.

Sorry if this was discussed above, I didn't want to wade though the whole huge thread.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont use translucent menus you can just copy the last ebuild to a overlay, get rid of all the patches and install newer version. I additionally copy over the fvwmtabs code from CVS as it is more stable for me (yeah, I have been addicted to fluxbox :twisted: )

But I would prefer a maintained, official ebuild too :roll:
vonr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fangorn wrote:

I concur. It seems that taviso is away and has been for quite some time.
cubancigar11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fangorn wrote:
I use gkrellm too. gkrellm is monolilthic, you can only deactivate modules for an existing instance. But you can start more than one instance if you want to split to seperate places of the desktop.
I am afraid you will have to edit the config to achieve this :roll:

For those who would like to do this, I did this with these lines of code:
Code:

*FvwmShelf: (11x8, Colorset 18, Frame 0, Left, Swallow(UseOld) "gkrellm" `Exec exec gkrellm -c 1`)
*FvwmShelf: (11x8, Colorset 18, Frame 0, Right, Swallow(UseOld) "gkrellm" `Exec exec gkrellm -c 2`)

Here, 1 and 2 are user config files (read man pages and google, its pretty easy)
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonr wrote:
fangorn wrote:

There's always the CVS ebuild if you want an up-to-date FVWM version which incorporates a lot of additional patches too (see the other thread for details).

Taviso's busy with other things atm, but he can still occasionaly be reached in #fvwm on freenode (irc.freenode.net) where you are very likely to eventually get an answer to your questions (mark the "eventually").
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBlackDragon wrote:
vonr wrote:
fangorn wrote:

There's always the CVS ebuild if you want an up-to-date FVWM version which incorporates a lot of additional patches too (see the other thread for details).

Taviso's busy with other things atm, but he can still occasionaly be reached in #fvwm on freenode (irc.freenode.net) where you are very likely to eventually get an answer to your questions (mark the "eventually").
Looks like 2.6.18 was recently added to portage by taviso. Thanks!
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taviso, I was reading the first part of this subject, and it is a brief discussion about a common menu system for all the wm in gentoo and a link to the glep 16. Debian have such a menu system.

I filled a bug repport it was a few weeks ago: Feature request: menu management as in Debian

I hope at this info can be usefull. Debian don't use the desktop file for this program. I think because not all the programs have such a desktop file. Basiquely, it is in 3 parts, the menu program itself and its general configuration files, a method file in the debian packages for each wm, and a configuration file in the debian packages for each program. Those last files is a text file with some variables (the command, the menu category, ...). If I look in those files, the category for the menu can be extrapoled from the portage tree, the command can be extrapoled from the .desktop file when a program have such a file. An other way to do that will be to add 2 variables in the ebuild, one to tell the menu if it is a X or a console application, the second one with the command. Some packages can have multiple commands.

It is a little more information about the debian menu syetm in the bug repport. I hope at this info can be usefull to you.
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
Taviso, I was reading the first part of this subject, and it is a brief discussion about a common menu system for all the wm in gentoo and a link to the glep 16. Debian have such a menu system.

I filled a bug repport it was a few weeks ago: Feature request: menu management as in Debian

I hope at this info can be usefull. Debian don't use the desktop file for this program. I think because not all the programs have such a desktop file. Basiquely, it is in 3 parts, the menu program itself and its general configuration files, a method file in the debian packages for each wm, and a configuration file in the debian packages for each program. Those last files is a text file with some variables (the command, the menu category, ...). If I look in those files, the category for the menu can be extrapoled from the portage tree, the command can be extrapoled from the .desktop file when a program have such a file. An other way to do that will be to add 2 variables in the ebuild, one to tell the menu if it is a X or a console application, the second one with the command. Some packages can have multiple commands.

It is a little more information about the debian menu syetm in the bug repport. I hope at this info can be usefull to you.

Debian doesn't use .desktop files because they didn't exist when they created their menu system. I think it would be beneficial to just us the .desktop files instead of adding yet another layer of abstraction and possible errors. Apps that don't have a desktop file could be given one by either the user, the package maintainer or one of the application's developers.

Most users don't even want to see console applications in their menus or want them launched with specific settings only creating even more of a cludge imho.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBlackDragon wrote:
Debian doesn't use .desktop files because they didn't exist when they created their menu system.

They were kind of around at the time, but since it was only the main players such as GNOME and KDE using them (and thus excluding about 90% of all applications, they just used their own format that each package maintainer was responsible providing -- and this is the key point -- if they felt it necessary. The Debian menu system is great in theory, but utter shite in terms of usability. Yet again, Schneidermann would be upset with the over use of enumeration. I can't say I'd blame him either.

theBlackDragon wrote:

I think it would be beneficial to just us the .desktop files instead of adding yet another layer of abstraction and possible errors.

Heh. Implementation via abstraction in this case is not a hinderance. It helps, to include almost all window managers and DEs.

-- Thomas Adam
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:
theBlackDragon wrote:
Debian doesn't use .desktop files because they didn't exist when they created their menu system.

They were kind of around at the time, but since it was only the main players such as GNOME and KDE using them (and thus excluding about 90% of all applications, they just used their own format that each package maintainer was responsible providing -- and this is the key point -- if they felt it necessary. The Debian menu system is great in theory, but utter shite in terms of usability. Yet again, Schneidermann would be upset with the over use of enumeration. I can't say I'd blame him either.

theBlackDragon wrote:

I think it would be beneficial to just us the .desktop files instead of adding yet another layer of abstraction and possible errors.

Heh. Implementation via abstraction in this case is not a hinderance. It helps, to include almost all window managers and DEs.

I meant adding another system besides the .desktop files already in use. They are there now, they are a standard and I think they should be used. Furthermore I think that users of console apps are smart enough to add those few applications they use regularly to a menu themselves, but then, I might be overestimating some peoples' intellect :wink:

Personally I don't have menu entries for most console apps and as stated before, those that I do have use a bunch of command line options so I'd have to add them manually anyway. I think I can safely say this is so for most people using console applications.

So yes, I agree it would be handy to create uniform menus accross different WM/DEs by default, but I don't think it's very useful to include console applications in these menus or to create an entirely new system when there's .desktop files one could use. It surely would be more beneficial to the community as a whole to provide apps lacking a .desktop file with one than it would be to write yet another attempt at a generalized menu system.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theBlackDragon wrote:
I meant adding another system besides the .desktop files already in use. They are there now, they are a standard and I think they should be used.

I agree with you. Packages maintainers must not forget at it is still many X applications that doesn't have any .desktop files and provide them when needed.
Quote:
Furthermore I think that users of console apps are smart enough to add those few applications they use regularly to a menu themselves, but then, I might be overestimating some peoples' intellect :wink:
I was not thinking about all the console applications. It will be usefull only for a few of them as mc.

Quote:
So yes, I agree it would be handy to create uniform menus accross different WM/DEs by default, but I don't think it's very useful to include console applications in these menus or to create an entirely new system when there's .desktop files one could use. It surely would be more beneficial to the community as a whole to provide apps lacking a .desktop file with one than it would be to write yet another attempt at a generalized menu system.

My point is at it is still some wm as fvwm that doesn't use the .desktop files on they own. The debian menu package is smart because it use only one program for all the wms. Package maintainers must provide a method file with each wm.

Furthemore, by using .desktop files, it must be possible to provide method files only for the wms that doesn't already use them.
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: wallpaper makes me crazy... Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been using Fvwm for a couple of months and tried to tweak it to my needs (from taviso's config).
My problem comes from the wallpaper browser. I didn't use this wallpaper browser for a while, and recently, I tried to use it... and it doesn't work anymore :cry:
Here are the relevant parts of my .fvwm2rc:
Code:
SetEnv fvwm_wallpaper_dir $[HOME]/image/backgrounds
DestroyFunc WallpaperBrowser
AddToFunc WallpaperBrowser I PipeRead 'test ! -d "$0/.thumbs" && mkdir "$0/.thumbs"; \
    for i in "$0/"*; do \
        test -f "$0/.thumbs/${i##*/}" -a "${i}" -ot "$0/.thumbs/${i##*/}" || { \
                convert -quality 0 -sample 42 "${i}" "png:$0/.thumbs/${i##*/}" 2>/dev/null \
                    || continue; \
            }; \
    done; \
    fvwm-menu-directory --icon-title folder_view.png --icon-file __PIXMAP__ --links \
    --icon-dir folder_paper_closed.png --dir "$0" --command-file="NewWallFunc \\"%f\\"" \
    --exec-t="^xv -wait 2 *" \
    --func-name WallpaperBrowser | sed "s#__PIXMAP__\\(.*\\)\\\"\\(.*/\\)\\(.*\\)\\\"#\\2.thumbs/\\3\\1\\2\\3#g"'

AddToFunc NewWallFunc
+ I PipeRead 'printf "%s\\n" $* > $[FVWM_USERDIR]/.wallpaper; echo Nop'
+ I Exec exec fvwm-root --dither --retain-pixmap $[fvwm_wallpaper]

DestroyMenu MenuFvwmConfig
AddToMenu MenuFvwmConfig
+ MissingSubmenuFunction WallpaperBrowser
#+ "Edit config" Exec exec urxvt -tint grey -tr -sh 30 -sl 1000 +sb -g 84x45 -e vi ~/.fvwm2rc
+ %accessories-text-editor.png%"Configure FvwmForm" Module FvwmForm FvwmForm-Form
+ %mouse.png%"Configure Cursor" Module FvwmForm FvwmForm-RootCursor
+ %kscreensaver.png%"Screensaver Settings" Exec exec xscreensaver-demo
+ %mouse.png%"Mouse Settings" Module FvwmScript FvwmScript-PointerSetup
+ %keyboard.png%"Keyboard Settings" Module FvwmScript FvwmScript-KeyboardSetup
+ %yast_soundcard.png%"Configure Bell" Module FvwmScript FvwmScript-BellSetup
+ %gnome-control-center.png%"General Settings" Module FvwmScript FvwmScript-BaseConfig
+ %document-properties.png%"Edit fvwm2rc..." Exec exec gvim -geometry 100x45 ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc
+ %filesave.png%"Fvwm Modules" Popup MenuFvwmModules
+ %background.png%"Browse Wallpaper" Popup $[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]

What I have is that it pops up an empty menu, like if nothing was inside it, even though it creates the sample files. If I click on the empty menu, Fvwm crashes :? That's why I think the problem is from the fvwm-menu-directory function.
However, when I change the path to another directory, where I have one small png image and other types of images (gif, jpg, ...), it shows a snapshot of the small png file and the name of the other ones.

Is it possible that an update in ImageMagic made it change the convert app and therefore the thumbs can't be read anymore by the script? (I'm guessing big time here as I really have no clue how to debug it :()

Thanks for your help!
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: wallpaper makes me crazy... Reply with quote

Thesee wrote:
What I have is that it pops up an empty menu, like if nothing was inside it, even though it creates the sample files. If I click on the empty menu, Fvwm crashes :? That's why I think the problem is from the fvwm-menu-directory function.

Could be, or more likely it's a facet of the dynamic menu code itself. Can you get a backtrace from the core file, assuming FVWM can create one.

Thesee wrote:

However, when I change the path to another directory, where I have one small png image and other types of images (gif, jpg, ...), it shows a snapshot of the small png file and the name of the other ones.

Is it possible that an update in ImageMagic made it change the convert app and therefore the thumbs can't be read anymore by the script? (I'm guessing big time here as I really have no clue how to debug it :()

Doubt it. Does clicking on this PNG file in your example above cause it to load?

-- Thomas Adam
Thesee
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ThomasAdam!
Actually, thanks to the backtrace, I checked the output of the startx command (to actually see if it was telling me "Segmentation Fault) or something). There I saw a message like "No enough vertical space". And then I got it!
As in the config the dir was where the wallpapers are, it wasn't trying to display the thumbnails, but all the wallpapers! Thus it couldn't display. I pointed to the .thumbs directory, and it showed them all!
After that, just a change in the function did the trick:
Code:
AddToFunc NewWallFunc
+ I PipeRead 'printf "%s\\n" $* > $[HOME]/.wallpaper; echo Nop'
+ I Exec exec fvwm-root --dither --retain-pixmap `cat  $[HOME]/.wallpaper  | sed "s#/.thumbs##g"`

Now, it stores the wallpaper path to the file $[HOME]/.wallpaper, and when it changes it, it removes the "/.thumbs" in order to have the big wallpaper, not the tiny one.

Thanks once again for showing me the path :D
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all :)
I feel that it's time to upgrade my panel, it's been around for awhile now, but I don't know how to do it as I want it or if it's possible. So I thought it might be worth asking in this thread
The panel I have to day are using the shape function with an transparent xpm background, I still want a background like that but I want it to be smaller than the icons on it, so the icons gets outside the top and bottom edge. So is this possible? If so how do I configure it?

TIA
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: