Mouse 1 R 4 SendToModule FvwmRingMenu PopUp Topmenu
[snip]
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmRingMenu: *
*FvwmRingMenu: Debug           1
*FvwmRingMenu: IconSize        64
*FvwmRingMenu: Radius         120
#*FvwmRingMenu:  Setting menu_setting.png

*FvwmRingMenu: Menu Topmenu, Center gcalc.png, Mouse1 "exec gcalc"
*FvwmRingMenu: Menu Topmenu, Icon word-processor.png, Mouse1 "exec oowriter", Mouse3 "*Submenu Office"
*FvwmRingMenu: Menu Topmenu, Icon opera.png, Mouse1 "exec opera", Mouse3 "*Submenu Internet"
*FvwmRingMenu: Menu Topmenu, Icon music.png, Mouse1 "exec wxmusik.png", Mouse3 "*Submenu Multimedia"
*FvwmRingMenu: Menu Topmenu, Icon linux.png, Mouse1 "exec darimasen.png", Mouse3 "*Submenu Filesystem"
*FvwmRingMenu: Menu Topmenu, Icon game-action.png, Mouse1  "exec westnoth", Mouse3 "*Submenu Games"

Code:

mirko_3@mirko3 ~ $ echo $PERL5LIB
/home/mirko_3/.fvwm/perllib
mirko_3@mirko3 ~ $ ls .fvwm/mods/
FvwmRingMenu  FvwmRingMenu.html
mirko_3@mirko3 ~ $ ls .fvwm/perllib/FvwmRingMenu/
Action.pm  Icon.pm  Image.pm  Menu.pm  Ring.pm

I also tried copying the FvwmRingMenu dir /usr/share/fvwm/perllib/ for good measure, but I get nothing at all when invoking it (the cursor switches to the loading one for a fraction of an instant). Have I forgotten something?
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your config looks good - do you have any error messages? They'll probably be in .xsession-errors or printed out to the virtual console if you used startx.

Other things to check - the FvwmRingMenu file will need execute permission. I'd have expected that to be preserved in the tarball, but it's worth checking.

Another possibility is to set

Code:
*FvwmRingMenu: Debug 1

which will generate popup debug messages. Assuming it's running at all. Come to think of it, does the process show up on ps?
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, no errors in the vt nor in .xsession-errors, and debug is already on. The file is executable. I'll try moving it to /usr/lib/fvwm/2.5.12/... I'll post back in a minute.
UPDATE:
No go, still doesn't work. Also, it doesn't show in ps:
Code:

mirko_3@mirko3 ~ $ ps aux|grep -i fvwm
mirko_3   6158  0.0  0.1   5528  2928 tty1     S    22:00   0:00 fvwm -s
mirko_3  11720  0.0  0.0   3280   924 tty1     S    23:05   0:00 /usr/lib/fvwm/2.5.12/FvwmAnimate 7 4 none 0 8
mirko_3  11836  0.0  0.0   1944   732 pts/0    R+   23:07   0:00 grep -i fvwm

boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then - try running it from an xterm. It should say something like

Code:
FvwmRingMenu should be spawned by fvwm normally.
Activating a dummy command line mode for 30 minutes (no events).
----------------------------------------------------------------

But since it's not running, there is a chance the crash is down to a missing module, which would show as an error message up on the terminal.

One possible candidate, now I come to think of it, is gtk-perl. I've been think of that as part of the standard perl distribution, but it occurs to be, somewhat belatedly, that I'm getting it mixed up with the Tk class.

Anyway, try the terminal experiment, and possibly emerge gtk-perl
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't crash. I emerged gtk-perl and I still get nothing...
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. How are you starting it? Perhaps something like
Code:

AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmRingMenu

What happens if you open an FvwmConsole and type

Code:
Module FvwmRingMenu

Preferably with debug turned on.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I start one? I found an executable with that name in /usr/lib/fvwm/2.5.12/FvwmConsole, but when I try to start it I get "*FvwmConsole version 2.5.12 should only be executed by fvwm!"

Anyway, there seemed to have been problems with emerge; now that I finished emerging Gtk-perl, on every restart I get (I'm typing from memory as the error appears in vt1 and I have to switch back and forth):
Code:

Undefined reference in /home/mirko_3/.fvwm/perllib/FvwmRingMenu/Ring.pm line 276
DESTROY created new reference to object 'FVWM:Module:GTK' during global destruction

Also, this is how I start the module:
Code:

AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I Module FvwmAnimate
+ I Module FvwmRingMenu

Off to bed now, it's 00:15 in Italy...
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! There's a bug that crashes it if you don't specify a background image with the Setting option. I'll see if I can get a fixed version ready for the morning. Thanks for the report.

Oh. and FvwmConsole is another module. You need to start it from a menu or key binding with

Code:
Module FvwmConsole

[edit]
Fixed: New tarball here. You should find this one works.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get the same error; I'll try with a background now...
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it to work! It was my fault, one of the icons I specified wasn't there, so the module just quit on not finding it, printing the DESTROY message. Thanks, it's really cool!
Now, if only I could find a cool iconset...
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool, just a thought: could you add an HoverIcon (or whatever you wish to call it) so that I can specify a different icon to use when the mouse is over the icon? You can than have icons that grow when your mouse passes over them...
If it's too much work, never mind, as it's already great!
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirko_3 wrote:
Really cool, just a thought: could you add an HoverIcon (or whatever you wish to call it) so that I can specify a different icon to use when the mouse is over the icon? You can than have icons that grow when your mouse passes over them...
If it's too much work, never mind, as it's already great!

Hover/Mouseover is on my todo list. I have one bit of work I want to do with another module, FvwmThumbnail, and then I'll take a look. I'll add a better error message for "icon not found" as well, I think.

The DESTROY message is a bit of perl weirdness that happens if an object can't be reclaimed. I think that's because the module doesn't get shut down properly when it crashes or on KillModule for that matter. There must be a way to silence it, but I've not yet found it.

Thanks again for the feedback
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, using your FvwmThumbnail is on my todo list :lol:
Anyway I'm glad to see you will do it, this will really become great. One annoying thing I've been experiencing is that whenever I left-click on an icon, to open it's submenu, the fvwm menu opens just as if I had left-clicked on the desktop...
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... that shouldn't happen, and I can't replicate it at this end. Any chance you can pm me with your complete config? there are probably going to be interactions between fvwm and GTK for which I have failed to make proper allowance.
plbe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if any of you guys are looking for a central place to put all your scripts we have one up at www.boxwhore.org
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroshan wrote:
mmm... that shouldn't happen, and I can't replicate it at this end. Any chance you can pm me with your complete config? there are probably going to be interactions between fvwm and GTK for which I have failed to make proper allowance.

I sent you my whole config :D
One other thing - is there a way to have it act like a real menu - that is, when I click on che desktop or somewhere else, it disappears instead o redrawing itself where I clicked?
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirko_3 wrote:

I sent you my whole config :D

Yeah, I got it, thanks. I meant to acknowledge that before now. I've loaded it up but wasn't able to replicate the problem. I'll try again tomorrow, see if I get any further then.

mirko_3 wrote:

One other thing - is there a way to have it act like a real menu - that is, when I click on che desktop or somewhere else, it disappears instead o redrawing itself where I clicked?

Not yet :) I'm thinking about a "Toggle" option which toggles the display state of the menu. I just want to think about the syntax a little.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks, I didn't really expect you to work so hard on it :D
In case this helps, here's some more info:
-I start a terminal, I click on the desktop beside it, so that many icons appear above it; I center-click on an icon which has no Mouse2 action configured, and nothing happens. Then I center click on the central icon, which is set to *Withdraw: in this case the Menu disappears, but the clipboard text gets pasted in the terminal below. Same thing for left-click: if the icon has a configured action, both the icon and the app below it respond to it
-I keep my browser full screen, and start FvwmRingMenu using the combination defined in my config (click anywhere pressing alt and winkey), and the menu fires up. Same thing as above, only that if, for example, I left click on an icon, the left click is "passed on" to the desktop, not to the browser (and therefore a menu appears). Again, the icon responds as it is supposed to, and if it has no configured action, nothing happens.

Hope this helps you some
quellthrix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow fvwm faithfuls.
I've been using fvwm for maybe about a month or so, and I think I may have found my WM of choice after trying KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox and XFCE4 (although XFCE4 would be my secondary desktop of choice). I have been meddling extensively with Taviso's config file and have as of late been attempting to extract the portions of his code that I liked into my own home-grown config. However, I've of course run into some foggy areas and need some assistance from you guys who seem to have boundless knowledge on the subject...

This is what I envision: at the bottom of the screen, an area reserved via EwmhBaseStruts for Taviso's thumbnail function, which would effectively be my taskbar, running across the bottom of the screen. At the right of the screen, I hope for a two-part panel (hopefully transparent) that will hold torsmo to keep an eye on my system, and below it, a nice little pager. I managed to get my menu configured just the way I like it, and I am planning to use only the menu to launch programs (perhaps assign a hotkey to let the root menu popup when the cursor is in a window? Not sure). I wanted to do this because I'm still hooked on fluxbox's menu-driven navigation, and why not use it, it'll free up space otherwise used by a toolbar.

Anywho, I know this may seem a tad self-aggrandizing to ask for help to set up my desktop, but despite all my studying different configs, I'm at a loss to figure out the mechanics to get it all to work.

So, if you gurus could send me off in a direction to study some tutorial (which I would understand, after all, it's quite a workload to accomplish) or just give me a basic, bare-bones config file to work off of, I'd appreciate it either way.

On a different note, I'm also a bit curious about the various ways that Taviso has placed his toolbar and FvwmShelf, using the different commands that somehow grab the resolution of the desktop or something like that (it involves using Piperead and $[w.h] variables somehow?...) to be able to place his toolbars in scale with the screen. How in the world does he accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for your help!
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm quite new to fvwm and have a little question: I use the whiteglass cursors and this works quite good in general, however when I'm on the desktop and not on the pager, a window or something I get this ugly default black cross cursor. I guess I have to specify a cursor for this special situation in the fvwm .conf (the rest is done by the X cursor theme atm) but don't know exactly how. Some help would be nice. Thanks!
quellthrix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, I beleive that you can resolve this by adding
Code:
CursorStyle ROOT top_left_arrow

to your config file.
If you have the ugly X cursor pop up anywhere else, you can take a quick look into the fvwm man page under CursorStyle (try checking it out here ) and messing about with those settings.

Good luck. :mrgreen:
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boroshan: any updates to your FvwmRingMenu?
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. My wife wasn't well last week, and this one I've just started a new job. I haven't forgotten though :)
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furor wrote:
Hello fellow fvwm faithfuls.
I've been using fvwm for maybe about a month or so, and I think I may have found my WM of choice after trying KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox and XFCE4 (although XFCE4 would be my secondary desktop of choice). I have been meddling extensively with Taviso's config file and have as of late been attempting to extract the portions of his code that I liked into my own home-grown config. However, I've of course run into some foggy areas and need some assistance from you guys who seem to have boundless knowledge on the subject...

This is what I envision: at the bottom of the screen, an area reserved via EwmhBaseStruts for Taviso's thumbnail function, which would effectively be my taskbar, running across the bottom of the screen. At the right of the screen, I hope for a two-part panel (hopefully transparent) that will hold torsmo to keep an eye on my system, and below it, a nice little pager. I managed to get my menu configured just the way I like it, and I am planning to use only the menu to launch programs (perhaps assign a hotkey to let the root menu popup when the cursor is in a window? Not sure). I wanted to do this because I'm still hooked on fluxbox's menu-driven navigation, and why not use it, it'll free up space otherwise used by a toolbar.

Anywho, I know this may seem a tad self-aggrandizing to ask for help to set up my desktop, but despite all my studying different configs, I'm at a loss to figure out the mechanics to get it all to work.

So, if you gurus could send me off in a direction to study some tutorial (which I would understand, after all, it's quite a workload to accomplish) or just give me a basic, bare-bones config file to work off of, I'd appreciate it either way.

On a different note, I'm also a bit curious about the various ways that Taviso has placed his toolbar and FvwmShelf, using the different commands that somehow grab the resolution of the desktop or something like that (it involves using Piperead and $[w.h] variables somehow?...) to be able to place his toolbars in scale with the screen. How in the world does he accomplish this?

Thank you in advance for your help!

http://edulinux.homeunix.org/fvwm/fvwmchanfaq.html#7, you might want to take a look at the rest of the document too. depending on your needs :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: