Problems posting a long post
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Problems posting a long post Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm trying to post about a problem emerging a package (mythtv). I've attached lots of logs and so the post is pretty long.

However, I invariably get an error:

Quote:
Internal Server Error (500)

I've been trying over three days now.

How do I troubleshoot this? I've been a member of these forums for many years and never had a problem before. Although my posting frequency has been pretty low over the past few years.

Cheers
Ferg
lexflex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Problems posting a long post Reply with quote

Hi Ferg,

I do not know what the limit is. However, you can use wgetpaste to post long files.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wgetpaste

Bye,

Alex.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bigger files use a pastebin, tahts a webservice.

Those pastebins make things more easily readable too.

And plesae one file for each pastebin, ...

Funny bugs.gentoo.org told me that the offical pastebin I used with wgetpaste is not supported by gentoo devs, whatever... Their choice if they want to improve the portage tree or not, I am not allowed to tell them what to do. (happened recently to one of my bug requests)
What should I do with something whihc is over 150MB and the other webservices refuse to accept those logs.
Gentoo portage system tells us to prove the deves with those junk, so i uploaded it, and one of the files was 150mb or so(bigger as 120MB !)

And i do not get that they do not trust their fellow gentoo users, afaik they could check with an editor or with tail / head if its a textfile or not (those build lgos are usually text files ) ...
ferg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for those tips!

Cheers,
Ferg
ferg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again. That all worked fine!
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIR MySQL text-type variable size limit is 64kB, which states the maximum size for a post.
Quote:

Gentoo portage system tells us to prove the deves with those junk, so i uploaded it, and one of the files was 150mb or so(bigger as 120MB !)
Would they accept a gzip file in attachement? Last time I needed technical support I had over 1GB of logs, gzip turned it into 15MB bundle. I must say I was impressed.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well right, i totally forgot about compression. noobish myself.

tar.gz or something like that. good hint, thanks. for the bugs.gentoo.org site.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124 wrote:
Funny bugs.gentoo.org told me that the offical pastebin I used with wgetpaste is not supported by gentoo devs, whatever... Their choice if they want to improve the portage tree or not, I am not allowed to tell them what to do. (happened recently to one of my bug requests)
What should I do with something whihc is over 150MB and the other webservices refuse to accept those logs.

And i do not get that they do not trust their fellow gentoo users, afaik they could check with an editor or with tail / head if its a textfile or not (those build lgos are usually text files ) ...
Bugzilla and the forums have rather different policies on such things due to having rather different technical constraints. Here there are, as noted, limitations on post length that are due to our architecture so long build logs or unabridged kernel configurations can run over, usually general loquaciousness is not enough to put a post over that line in a timeframe that people are actually wiling to spend typing/dictating/whatever a forum post. Bugzilla, however is set up specifically to accommodate most sorts of plain text data that developers need to diagnose and address, whether that means fixing or avoiding, bugs. As it stands, the only third party site canonically accepted for storing build logs is the amazon hosting hired by flameeyes, and even that is somewhat controversial. Still, for files of that size, even on bugzilla, ask before posting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: