PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
i'd like to help, but my usefulness has waned in previous months. :oops:
waned...?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can only do so much without db and acp access... and it seems i'll never get that at this point. i don't really want to get into it.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
i can only do so much without db and acp access... and it seems i'll never get that at this point. i don't really want to get into it.
it was a joke bunder, "waned" as in "is it possible to go lower than none?"
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
bunder wrote:

i just don't have the interest for jokes anymore. :?

cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
bunder wrote:

i just don't have the interest for jokes anymore. :?
:(
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
but WHEN ????????????????
As soon as it is ready for us and we are ready for it, no sooner. Essentially, once we get it patched, working and tested in a configuration which is a good enough analog of how it would be deployed. This would include translating any new messages into all of the languages the interface here is available in, so there may be some solicitation in that regard heralding what amounts to beta testing of the new system.
kernelOfTruth wrote:
if there's no ETA WHEN the new search function(ality) will be implemented so I BEG you, guys, at least let google - again - hammer the database a little so that the people

who don't can spare hours searching useful stuff find it in no time :idea:
That is, unfortunately something we are simply unable to do now, though that may be changing during the next few weeks or so, at which point it would be implemented. Bear in mind that there would still be ways of restricting access to the forums which none of the forum administrators would have access to, though so far as I know there are no relevant restrictions in place at that level at this time.
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
This would include translating any new messages into all of the languages the interface here is available in,

i could help with the german translation.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.blackbit wrote:
desultory wrote:
This would include translating any new messages into all of the languages the interface here is available in,

i could help with the german translation.

they already have one. providing we don't add any new error messages or anything, should be a drop-in and go thing. 8)

http://www.phpbb.com/languages/index.php?type=3.0.x

gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: How am I supposed to search the Forums effectively? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Apparently Google search has been banned.
Please read this and the links in there.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-728822-highlight-.html
When I have a problem I always search the forums.
After all that's the place where your chances of finding a solution are the best.
Unfortunately the Gentoo search engine sucks to put it mildly.
The only thing left apparently is to start a new topic!
I hope someone will point me to another possibility.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
lxg
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I also don't like the internal search and would prefer to use Google -- especially for three reasons: better relevancy of top results, availabilty of search operators and the lack of stop words.

I understand the reasons why Gentoo banned Google. However, I think there must be a way to have the forums searchable with Goolge (and, if you will, other SEs). For example a cooperation would be thinkable. Or there could be a read-only version just for search engines, which is updated regularily. Or, if Google is interested, one could even give them the bare database dump. I don't know how realistic these ideas are, but I think there can be a solution. Maybe the problem is similar with other projects with big forums or mailing lists. For example one could allow to mirror the Gentoo forums on something like Google Groups.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above two posts here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard van Vuuren wrote:
Apparently Google search has been banned.
So it seems. Due to circumstances beyond our control, there is no viable estimate of when that can be changed.
Gerard van Vuuren wrote:
The only thing left apparently is to start a new topic!
If you have searched and have not been able to find an appropriate topic, start a new one. Perhaps even mention what search terms you tried, it might garner some tips on searching for similar problems.

lxg wrote:
I don't know how realistic these ideas are, but I think there can be a solution.
There are various reasons for those not being viable solutions, but the main reason shared by all is that each would take longer to implement than the currently planned solution and none could be started sooner.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it can index and search through all topic in fgo but it is a start :D

http://www.linux-solved.com/post/emerge-fails-undefined-reference-clock-gettime-SOLVED-8038.html

your central place to go for linux issues:

http://www.linux-solved.com/

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahenobarbi wrote:
loki99 wrote:
Sir Link wrote:
[x] Meh

Although there's nothing wrong with the site _generally_, it does look like it's fresh from 2001. A slightly more modern look might be nice.

++

As long as the redesign doesn't end up like the last attempt, that ended in developers infighting instead of an update.

++
And menu is a mess.

++

and:

Gerard van Vuuren wrote:
Please give us a forum search engine that works!!
Google search has been blocked (why?) so searching has become a pita.
Gerard.

++

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Ahenobarbi
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

and:

Gerard van Vuuren wrote:
Please give us a forum search engine that works!!
Google search has been blocked (why?) so searching has become a pita.
Gerard.

++

++
I forgot about that but searching forums is troublesome.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged two posts from the Gentoo WWW site thread.
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone maybe found out something about this gentoo forums and google saga? I just can not believe that nobody care about this, some dev just blocked google bot, mentioned something about proxy solution for this and one year later nothing happened?! There were a lot of good ideas suggested, what to do with robots.txt etc. and they are maybe not that good as proxy solution, but that kind of temporary solution is better then what we have now. Interesting, in past you could enter just forums in google and gentoo forums was first link, now it looks like forums doesn't exist at all, and one of the top links is this Where is the Gentoo forum? - LinuxQuestions.org , thread from year 2003. 8O Yeah.
I understand that moderators can't do nothing about it but they are not helping either with locking all the threads where this topic is mentioned.
Uncle_Psychosis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, when is this going to get fixed? The forums are one of the best things about Gentoo (if not THE best) but being unable to properly search them severely limits their usefulness.

A whole year without google search? Thats a bad joke!
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M wrote:
Did someone maybe found out something about this gentoo forums and google saga?
Yes, the findings can be summarized as follows: bureaucracy is not an efficient means to solve a problem.
M wrote:
I just can not believe that nobody care about this, some dev just blocked google bot, mentioned something about proxy solution for this and one year later nothing happened?! There were a lot of good ideas suggested, what to do with robots.txt etc. and they are maybe not that good as proxy solution, but that kind of temporary solution is better then what we have now.
That is essentially the executive summary of events to this point.
M wrote:
Interesting, in past you could enter just forums in google and gentoo forums was first link, now it looks like forums doesn't exist at all, and one of the top links is this Where is the Gentoo forum? - LinuxQuestions.org , thread from year 2003. 8O Yeah.
Not that it makes much of a case for leaving things as they are, but it has reduced the average daily volume of spam. Impressive cloud, shabby lining.
M wrote:
I understand that moderators can't do nothing about it but they are not helping either with locking all the threads where this topic is mentioned.
Another pattern you might also have noticed, the topics being locked strongly correlates with them descending into flames.

At the present time I have no information which suggests that any substantive changes to these circumstance will be made before the end of this month at the absolute earliest, and rather little to suggest that changes would be forthcoming then.
Tekeli Li
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all the pages of this topic, so excuse me if this has been suggested before.

It should be fairly easy to write a PHP script that dumps (changed) topics into static HTML files once a day or something. That should not pose a burden on db since only changed topics would be affected, not all tens of thousands of posts/topics per dump -- except of course the first dump which can be throttled. The dumped pages can have links to actual forum entries with a rel="nofollow" attribute. Then, googlebot can be instructed to index those static HTML files. Kinda like simulating the archive feature of more advanced forum software, but for phpbb. IMHO this is the optimal solution.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more than enough features provided to control the behavior of legitimate Google bot traffic that while implementing such a solution would be quite possible it would probably end up being more work for site staff and more load on the server than just putting any necessary rate limits in place and letting Google do what it already does. So thanks for the suggestion but we are probably going to let Google do anything that resembles actual work so far as them indexing the forums is concerned.
Tekeli Li
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are very simple ways to "configure" the bot to crawl slowly, in fact it is a matter of single line in robots.txt for the domain. But I'm guessing the devs are concerned with the bot accessing, regularly (but no matter how fast), the older, archived content thus invalidating the caches which are supposed to serve the latest content, because I see no other reason why Crawl-Delay would not be implemented.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the headers the forums send with every page, you will find them to be incompatible with that reasoning.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved seven posts to "The forums and Google. Episode II".
Yminus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I just was about to post a new thread to complain about this shitty forum search with this braindead stop-word list and missing of Boolean expressions - and despite the maddening search found this thread dating back to Feb 2003! Sorry folks, I did not read this thread since it is far too long, but believe me the forum search still sucks...
Maybe you should make a sticky explaining why it is not possible to implement a sane forum search.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: