View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread ought to be moved to the dustbin. No-one at Gentoo cares about it at all.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above three posts here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
This thread ought to be moved to the dustbin. No-one at Gentoo cares about it at all.

Every now and then I see this thread and I cannot remember anymore why it was started in the first place :) there is the "quicksearch" which is fine for basic search, but there is also the "real" search button which leads to more advanced search options.

Maybe this discussion is only about the quicksearch?
ashrack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi
it's about the advanced search which sucks ass. Read from the beginning of this thread and you will find out why.
libertytrek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quicksearch is much worse... can't even use more than one word... ridiculous...
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can and does accept multiple search terms, though it does deliberately ignore a specific set of terms.
libertytrek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, allow me to retort that thats the stupidest fucking thing that I've ever heard of.

Why in the hell would the site maintainers deliberately want to cripple the search capability?

Thats moronic with a capital M - O - R - O - N - I - C
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libertytrek wrote:
Well, allow me to retort that thats the stupidest fucking thing that I've ever heard of.

Why in the hell would the site maintainers deliberately want to cripple the search capability?

Thats moronic with a capital M - O - R - O - N - I - C

That's not the kind of attitude we foster here. Thus, goodbye.
libertytrek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the Mods (and specifically, Kurt) were gracious enough to un-ban me, so I figured that I should close out my participation in this thread by posting a portion of my last email to Kurt/them, which includes my apology:

<snip>

My biggest mistake was not actually reading that 5 *year* old ongoing thread about the problem (like I did just now), instead of just seeing that the problem was 5 years old and still unresolved, and assuming (yeah, I know, I know) that the Admins just didn't care, as opposed to there being certain technical reasons for the choices made - then I'd have posted something more like:

"Deliberately crippling the forums *without informing the user* when he does something that triggers the 'borked behavior' (ie, used the banned words) - and/or even better, having a permanent link somewhere next to the Quick Search box, like 'Having Trouble Using the Search?', that links to a simple FAQ entry or whatever explaining the quirky Search behavior - is *extremely* user *unfriendly*, and in fact is basically *inviting* the kind of criticism that is evident in this 5 year long thread."

<snip>

My apologies to all of the Moderators [and anyone else reading this thread] for not taking the time to read the history of this problem and then engaging in constructive criticism, but instead choosing to act like a moronic kid - yeah, I can do moronic things too - in fact, I do them much more often than I'd like to admit.

So, thanks again, Kurt, for being gracious enough to un-ban me after my childish tirade...
ashrack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be one of the longest rants on Gentoo forums.
I mean 5 years for such a critical feature.
At least they could use GOOGLE search instead of Quick Search.
madhusker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Forum is not OMG optimized Reply with quote

All I want to do is re-define my search and I get this:

Quote:
You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

I thought this forum just might be running on Gentoo. Isn't Gentoo OMG optimized for another search 5 seconds later? Annoying!
l0l
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Search by title only Reply with quote

I noticed: Search topic title and message text AND Search message text only, but I did not notice Search by title only.
I think that option would be very useful. Does anyone else agree on that?
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum is not OMG optimized Reply with quote

madhusker wrote:
All I want to do is re-define my search and I get this:

Quote:
You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

I thought this forum just might be running on Gentoo. Isn't Gentoo OMG optimized for another search 5 seconds later? Annoying!

I believe that the limitation is removed after you have a certain number of posts under your belt. It is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread... ;)
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works... (PHPBB isn't too good at searching).

Often, you're better off searching like "site:forums.gentoo.org (searchquery)" in google. You won't get old(er) posts that way, but at least you don't get posts about audacious when you're searching for kernel compilation errors.
l0l
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:
If it works... (PHPBB isn't too good at searching).

Often, you're better off searching like "site:forums.gentoo.org (searchquery)" in google. You won't get old(er) posts that way, but at least you don't get posts about audacious when you're searching for kernel compilation errors.

Thx. for the advice (I already knew that). But it does not solve the problem, I still can't search by title ;)
It's a problem because I noticed 90% of cases when I search something the keyword is in the subject(title) and I always have to browse through 50-100 posts to find it, arrrgh....

p.s. There's another topic on gentoo forum search -> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-33345.html
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged three, of the above four, posts.
madhusker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Forum is not OMG optimized Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe that the limitation is removed after you have a certain number of posts under your belt. It is probably mentioned somewhere in this thread... ;)

That should widen the user base! Wait until you know everything, then we allow you to aggressively search. Sorry, the logic does not make sense. If you waste your time to create a login you should be able to aggressively search as a member of the site!

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/

has been a big help too.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 742 posts, I still don't have such functionality.
cazort
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Search by Title? Reply with quote

BTW, I think the search is terrible...I can never get "AND" to work in a reasonable way, and I often fail totally to locate relevant topics, or find the topics way down on the page (or on the second or third or later pages of results).

Why is there no option to search by title? Half the time I'll search for something like "pam" or "pam AND upgrade" and I get pages of garbage...I then use my browser search box to locate relevant threads.

This seems incredibly easy to fix.

Why not just add a title search option?
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik the gentoo people are working on getting the forums phpbb3 ready. at the latest then things should become better.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above two posts here

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Sugestions for search department: Reply with quote

I have been finding myself searching in long threads dating back years and finding useful information.
It would be nice to have the same (All available, this topic, this thread) drop down box next to to "quick search" in the search results and add a "this search".
So one can search again in the results, same thread or search again in the same sub forum.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sugestions for search department: Reply with quote

turtles wrote:
I have been finding myself searching in long threads dating back years and finding useful information.
It would be nice to have the same (All available, this topic, this thread) drop down box next to to "quick search" in the search results and add a "this search".
So one can search again in the results, same thread or search again in the same sub forum.

we probably won't be doing much more to v2... and since v3 doesn't have a quicksearch, we'll have to add that first. :wink:

merged into "search sucks" thread. 8)

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.blackbit wrote:
afaik the gentoo people are working on getting the forums phpbb3 ready. at the latest then things should become better.

but WHEN ????????????????

yesterday I was desperately in need of some search results but couldn't find them because the friggin' forum search isn't able to find them at a decent time (also it's limited to a certain number of terms :roll: ) - if it wouldn't be that sad I actually would laugh my a** off :cry:

if there's no ETA WHEN the new search function(ality) will be implemented so I BEG you, guys, at least let google - again - hammer the database a little so that the people

who don't can spare hours searching useful stuff find it in no time :idea:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd like to help, but my usefulness has waned in previous months. :oops:

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: