View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Praxxus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it accepted by your system. The trick now is to discover just which driver(s) its using, and remember that for future use!

But as to your problem now . . .
Code:
ifconfig eth0 up
will bring your adapter up, but with no settings at all. If you turn back around and just run
Code:
ifconfig eth0
you'll see the adapter listed with no IP address, netmask, etc. That's why your networking isn't working.

If you've got your /etc/conf.d/net.eth0 configured already, you can just
Code:
ifconfig eth0 down
if you haven't already, and then
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.et0 start

jmroach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally got it working... i decided on a whim just to try dhcp- and it worked. so that's good. now if i could just get my mouse to work too!

thanks to everyone for all of the help,

john
leonef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, first time here... I just installed Gentoo on my old Dell and ran into the same problem... I can't get the eth0 to work... I have been reading this and other threads looking for a solution but nothing seems to work.... It works fine if I boot from the live CD... I did all the steps that Praxxus have on his post and nothing. I new to the Linux world and I decided to install Gentoo by recomendation of a co-worker.... Now, how do I find out which module on the live Cd makes my network card to work???? I did the lspci and it shows up, I did the lsmod but nothing shows up.

Any help!!!!

Thanks!
leonef
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind!!! I got it fixed!!!!!
pjf02536
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching thsi thread for a bit, and apreciate all the detail.

One last question for whoever may have any ideas.

Is there a way to automate the card detection ? and module insertion ?
or are we stuck with manual methods ?

-PF
pjf02536
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I figured it out

To do Automatic Hardware detection .....

You need to "emerge sys-apps/hwsetup" and "emerge sys-apps/hwdata-knoppix"
These are the detector and the databse of devices respectively.

(if you want it to probe every time you start-up)
issue an "rc-update add autoconfig boot" (or default)
Fejimush
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: More eth0 heartaches... Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem as mrpotatohead and I have tried everything stated in this thread and no luck. I get the error:

"eth0 does not exist" [!!]
ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
"netmount" was not started.

Just like mrpotatohead eth0 works fine from the CD. I have an nForce2 chipset and that's what the CD kernel recognizes the network card as even though in the M/B manual (ABIT AN7) it says it is an onboard RTL8201BL 10/100M LAN controller.

When booting from the CD lspci gives this for the network card

"Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)"

In the Device driver section of menu config I don't see a suitable driver.

Anything else that I might be missing?

Also is there a way to step through the boot process so I can read the text that is flying by? Maybe there will be some clues there.

Thanks much in advanced.

<Edit>

I added this to the menuconfig:
<M> RealTek RTL-8139 C+ PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M> RealTek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support
[*] Use PIO instead of MMIO (NEW)
[ ] Support for uncommon RTL-8139 rev. K (automatic channel equalization) (NEW)
[ ] Support for older RTL-8129/8130 boards (NEW)
[ ] Use older RX-reset method (NEW)

...and also added the line:
8139too
to the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file

The module seems to load fine, at least I don't see an error, but lsmod does not show any available modules.

I still get the same eth0 error as above, no luck.
Captain Colon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pretty much the same problem as the guy above, just a different card...Linksys NC100, I don't see anything that looks even remotely like the proper driver for it, on boot I get the "bringing up eth0 via DHCP [!!" and ifconfig has nothing but lo...modprobe for the livecd doesn't look to have anything special, and
Code:
ls blahblah/drivers/net

only returns:

dummy.ko
s2io.ko

I would very much like some internet :(

*E* nm I just redid everything and used genkernel to build the kernel and now it works fine...now if only I could get my mouse to work so I could use X :\ I guess any linux distro that isn't mandrake is still above my head :o
escobar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've came aroun d the same problem here, I checked lsmod in live cd and it loads the tulip module, and probably thats what my ethernet card uses, the problem is, I can't compile the tulip like a module... what should I do?
I recompiled the kernel and still it can't get my driver's dhcp...
thef0x82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar problem. It's claiming netmount not started. I don't need any network shares mounted so I did the rc-update command previously recommended in this post.

The next problem is that I can't get an IP address. I run all my boxes DHCP, but my router makes it static by reserving IP addresses for specific MAC addresses.

It shouldn't be a problme with incorrect modules being loaded. I compiled with genkernel and used lsmod to find out what modules were running when I booted from the livecd. I copied down that list, then told it to load all the same modules when it boots normally.

The NIC is a Broadcom NetExtreme which should use the tg3 module (which is loaded).

Using the command "#dhcpcd eth0" doesn't work. When I get the long listing of interfaces with ifconfig the HWaddr for eth0 is about twice as long as it should be with a bunch of zeroes.

Any thoughts?
corley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: More eth0 heartaches... Reply with quote

Ok.. I think I know what your problem is. You need to emerge the nvidia nforce stuff. Then goto /usr/src/linux and make menuconfig.. select the new nforce driver configured for ethernetcard.. NOT sound. Then save and compile your kernel with make && make modules_install, copy the grub stuff etc. and restart. Appearently there is an issue or perhaps it was designed that way to use a shared bus so the nforce motherboards can use either the network card OR the sound card. This issue is different from what everyone else is experiencing although you will follow the same steps after you have done this in order to your your ethernet running. Remember to make sure you have emerged the dhcp client and have it installed with rc-update add dhcpd default.

Fejimush wrote:
I have the exact same problem as mrpotatohead and I have tried everything stated in this thread and no luck. I get the error:

"eth0 does not exist" [!!]
ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
"netmount" was not started.

Just like mrpotatohead eth0 works fine from the CD. I have an nForce2 chipset and that's what the CD kernel recognizes the network card as even though in the M/B manual (ABIT AN7) it says it is an onboard RTL8201BL 10/100M LAN controller.

When booting from the CD lspci gives this for the network card

"Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)"

In the Device driver section of menu config I don't see a suitable driver.

Anything else that I might be missing?

Also is there a way to step through the boot process so I can read the text that is flying by? Maybe there will be some clues there.

Thanks much in advanced.

<Edit>

I added this to the menuconfig:
<M> RealTek RTL-8139 C+ PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M> RealTek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support
[*] Use PIO instead of MMIO (NEW)
[ ] Support for uncommon RTL-8139 rev. K (automatic channel equalization) (NEW)
[ ] Support for older RTL-8129/8130 boards (NEW)
[ ] Use older RX-reset method (NEW)

...and also added the line:
8139too
to the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file

The module seems to load fine, at least I don't see an error, but lsmod does not show any available modules.

I still get the same eth0 error as above, no luck.
DetectiveInspekta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I have is problem too
using a nforce2 mobo I think im using forcedeth drivers

I stoped netmount by going
Code:
rc-update del netmount default

dhcp gets a ip but I can't get ping in or out, where as for the installation I could ping the net. I think its something to do with genkernel
But i want to get the net working first.
DetectiveInspekta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I spent a couple of hours trying to sort it out.

Finially I got it, all I did was put in /etc/conf.d/net was

Code:
iface_eth1="dhcp"

then did

[code]dhcpcd eth1[code]

I hope this works for people as there were HEAPS of people who had the same kind of problem

ie nforce MPC buildin lan not working
kLUMSY bOT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!

Please allow an ignorant summary:

1. Boot your live cd
2. run #lspci
3. look for the line "Ethernet controller" Write down this line.
4. run #lsmod
5. look for your evdev module. write down the name of the next one
6. reboot to your normal install.
7. cd to /usr/src/linux
8. enter #make menuconfig
9. Go to device drivers --> networking support --> networking options
10. Search through the "Ethernet(10 or 100Mbit)" and the "Ethernet(1000)"
11. find the matching ethernet controller from step 3 and press m to compile it as a module
12. Exit (go back) until you are asked whether you want to save - yes you do.
13. install with #make install && make modules_install
14 edit /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, and add a line which is the result of step 5. It should be only one word.

reboot and pray :)
refund
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find the help I needed in this thread (or I simply missed it '_- ) but I got it working with some good ol' trial and error.

the tutorial says to type this for manual ip settings etc, in the "etc/conf.d/net" file

config_eth0=( "192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
routes_eth0=( "default gw 192.168.0.1" )

I kept getting errors, it worked when I typed it like this...

ifconfig_eth0=( "192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
routes_eth0=( "default gw 192.168.0.1" )

and now it works,

it'd be nice if someone updated the tutorial to mention this phenomenon(?)

(it should be noted that I was using a gentoo2004.3 minimum install cd, if that makes a difference)

(also I only installed just then and got it working and it's my first time using linux)
martindv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys i got the same error with "netmount". what should i do, is available any simple way to load eth0 with dhcp at startup?.

I didnt understand what are you taking about in previous post. so it would be great if you put in code the necessary steps..

many thanks./
corley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: k Reply with quote

yes.. there is a few things..
edit your /etc/conf.d/net file and make sure yours has iface_eth0="dhcp"
then as root run the command
rc-update add net.eth0 default
that will allow your system to automagically start dhcp on eth0 at startup. If you want to manually start and stop it after the system is up, then you can just type:
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start or /etc/init.d/net.eth0 stop
same goes for other interfaces as well. You should have a sym link in your /etc/init.d directory for each interface you have such as eth0, eth1 and so on and they should all point to net.lo.

On another note it seems like alot of people (me included) are having alot of problems with dhcp and/or pppoe and connectivity after the latest emerge. After looking through all the posts here it seems like everyone that is having problems is using 8139too driver. I am wondering if there was an update to this in the last kernel update and the code is broken.

martindv wrote:
Guys i got the same error with "netmount". what should i do, is available any simple way to load eth0 with dhcp at startup?.

I didnt understand what are you taking about in previous post. so it would be great if you put in code the necessary steps..

many thanks./
PennyroyalFrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the e1000 module and I've also been having problems getting it to start. It just hangs on the part at boot where it brings eth0 up and says netmount can't be started.

It's weird cuz sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, for example, before the last worldly update i did it would always hang when the computer wasn't shutdown properly but worked fine otherwise. Then, when I emerged -uDav world it stopped working completely. I forgot to update my config files with etc-update and did all but a couple that i didn't feel like editing again (/etc/conf.d/hostname and domainname or whatever they were). It didn't work until I replaced those files with the new ones and then edited them appropriately. This, i found strange because there wasn't any new code in those files that i noticed. They looked exactly like the old ones i had that were there before it started to work again. Anybody know why this is?

Also i noticed that when i built my kernel manually (not using genkernel) eth0 would not start and i used the same config file. Can anybody explain this?
PennyroyalFrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything seems to be working correctly AND consistantly now, even with a manual compile of the kernel. I emerged world and everything is good now. of course if you can't get on the net to emerge --sync then emerge -uDav world then you will have to boot your box with the Gentoo Live CD and chroot into your root directory and emerge from there (that's assuming the net works with your Live CD)

NOTE:
This won't solve you're problem if you don't have your kernel/system correctly configured.
darksarin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: same problem as others--different HW Reply with quote

Am building on an older celeron, and CANNOT seem to get the network to be reliable.

I have edited /etc/conf.d/net numerous ways and it does not work reliably. This is my current configuration:
Code:

iface_eth0="dhcp"
dhcpcd_eth0="-HD"

This is set, and when I run dhcpcd eth0 or rc-update, or ifconfig eth0 up, I GET NO ERRORS, but the network STILL doesn't do a thing!!!!!

I am getting VERY frustrated. I KNOW that I have the right drivers in the kernel (compiled, not as modules), and that it CAN work. If I reboot, it complains about the netmount not being started, and then will pick up an address via dhcp when I run it manually, but when I try to emerge ANYTHING it will only work ONCE! After that first package (not even first emerge) it craps out and DIES! I then have to reboot to do ANYTHING else.

I am doing this at work, but I do need to get the system working. We are trying to do something VERY specific with this one, and HAVE to have networking be ABSOLUTELY stable!

I COULD set it to a static IP (we have several available), but I am reluctant to do so, and I don't think that would solve my problems, since I still haven't had any luck getting the to see the network at all!

I just did dhcpcd eth0 and it gave me no errors at all, but when I try to ping the next machine over, it tells me the network is unreachable!

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
saberspark77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure the sticky is as good a place to put this as starting a new thread...

I've been having basically the same problems as everyone else, except under some different circumstances. It all started on Sunday, when I opted to do my first "emerge --update world" and "etc-update" since early June on a normally operating server. 12 hours and 50 some odd packages later, I came back to a normally functioning server. I had been reading up on another problem I'd been having for several months, but never had time to fix, and decided to try a solution I found on Sunday. This required rebooting, so I did it. Shortly thereafter, I was lugging my server all the way upstairs to my room because it wouldn't reboot at all. So start the similarities.

First, the problem was that old "eth0 does not exist [!!]" that I've seen so much of. I browsed around the gentoo forums, reading various "fixes" that people were claiming worked for them. I tooled around in the /etc/init.d/ and /etc/conf.d/ directories to see if I could see anything that was wrong, and noticed that net.eth0 was symlinked to net.lo. I didn't think that looked right, so I got a copy of my roommate's net.eth0 and copied it into the directory.

On the next boot, the system hung at "Bringing up eth0 via DHCP" for a bit, then failed, causing all the remaining eth0-dependent services to fail. I logged in at the terminal and ran lsmod, which returned nothing. Hmm...odd. So I modprobed tulip (yes, this is the right module for my NIC, before anyone asks ;)). lsmod returned tulip, so I read up on what that indicated, finally adding tulip to /etc/module.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 (and yes, I am running 2.6).

Great. So now I have the kernel loading tulip on startup just fine. By the way, rc-update show proves that net.eth0 has been set to be started at the default runlevel. I can login and lsmod and tulip is in the list. However, the system still failed at getting an IP address via DHCP. I opted to remove both copies of net.eth0 that I had borrowed from two different friends who run gentoo and resymlink net.eth0 to net.lo, as has been suggested to work by a number of people on these forums. No go. Same failure at DHCP.

The uncommented contents of /etc/conf.d/net:

Code:
iface_eth0=( "dhcp" )
dhcpcd_eth0="-n"

As you can see, I've got the correct contents in /etc/conf.d/net. This is the kicker: the /etc/init.d/net.eth0 script that runs at startup fails. The same script, when run via the command "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start" once I've logged in, works perfectly, and dhcpcd returns an IP address.

Last night I tried backing up my config files (for things like apache) and running "emerge baselayout", from which I got sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.13. Rebooting proved that the same problem was still occurring. This afternoon, I reemerged dhcpcd, but the same problem still occurs.

I am absolutely stuck.
kLUMSY bOT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, i can do it withouth the kernel module - compiled instead.
Bague
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm reinstalling gentoo after being without due to circumstances. Now, I'm having similar problems. My Mobo is An MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. I believe my network isn't coming up due to the fact that nowhere in the defacto kernel is there nforce drivers that I can find. Now, I wouldn't mind emerging them, but the entire section in the handbook that used to cover external modules (such as audigy, nvidia video, etc.) seems to have dropped off the face of the planet. Can someone tell me the name of the nforce modules for emerge?

I'm curious as to why this part of the handbook was removed, as it is rather important for anyone on an nforce chipset or requires similar modules.

Also odd, now whenever I start the livecd, eth0 refuses to rise. Any ping will return "unknown host" bull. It worked earlier, why shouldn't the same disk on the same system work now?
Psych0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: I got it :!: Reply with quote

OK, I've been at this off and on for a couple of days and finally got angry enough to stay at it tonight...

This is an nForce2 mobo using the forcedeth driver, it's never been an issue since forcedeth was added to the kernel modules quite a while back. Like a lot of others apparently after updating (to dhcpcd 2.0.0 and BaseLayout 1.11.13-r1) dhcpcd quit working. Anything set in /etc/conf.d/net was politely ignored, I couldn't even cause an error. dhcpcd eth0 from command line worked fine. This is on my wife's machine, which doesn't get updated like it should so something usually breaks when I get around to it. She's starting to get annoyed running dhcpcd by hand, can't say that I blame her...

Updating rc-conf to use /etc/init.d/hostname did not ever get rid of the warning that I should update to /etc/init.d/hostname until I deleted /etc/hostname. Now all of a sudden I get an error griping about the syntax in /etc/conf.d/net :!: Hot damn, now we're getting somewhere. Why leaving /etc/hostname laying around should cause a problem, I have no idea. I mean WTF??
Code:

No /etc/conf.d/net (all commented)

OR
config_eth0=( "dhcp" )

OR
config_eth0( "dhcp" )
ifconfig_eth0( "nodns nontp nonis" )

all seem to work now, note the syntax change between net.example and the nodns ... line above, as mentioned upthread. Adding the correct syntax, and mentioning deleting the old hostname file from etc. would be nice. I'll bet that's a lot of people's problem.

Bug not filed, if someone is comfortable searching out and filing a bug on this if appropriate go for it. I searched a bit and didn't find one, but that don't mean it isn't there.

Cheers, now on the the next.[/b]
pen8wen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your ifconfig output include the word "UP" in the third line for eth0?
if not, it's not completely up yet (no pun intended)

if it sez, "UP" then
sounds like your config isn't completely up to par yet - (sorry, i got lost in the previous posts - not sure if you're using dhcp or static)
try
ping 64.233.161.99 # this is google's ip address
instead of
ping www.google.com

you might try ping'ing your router address (by number) as well (unless you're connected directly to a dcl/cable modem without router, it MIGHT be something like 192.168.1.1)
netstat -rn can be useful here.

if this works, seems your dns isn't config'd yet. /etc/resolv.conf should contain something like
nameserver 123.156.78.90

if static you need to config /etc/resolv.conf -
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: