View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: now that Jackass! is picking-up interest, we seem to be experienceing a little spillover from thread to thread, with support requests going into the Release Announcement in OTW, and an occasional misplaced post in some of the other Jackass! threads. In order to help clarify where the most appropriate place is to post, I've added the following text to the first page of this thread:

Quote:
This is the Jackass! DEVELOPMENT Thread. This thread is used by Jackass! Developers and Testers to discuss the actual building of the Jackass! toolkit.

If you have a
SUPPORT question, please post your support request to the Jackass! Support Group thread in the Unsupported Software forum. Thanks.

Hopefully, this will help users to know where the best place is to post a support request in order to get a rapid response. :wink:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tailgunner.qmx wrote:
... but why not have all locales + localepurge in 2005.1 ?

thanks for the feedback and for the compliments. :D we'll definitely look into this if we have to do a 2005.1 release of Jackass!

tailgunner.qmx wrote:
In this case of missing locale. It's gentoo default to strip off pt_BR?

i answered this question in the support thread, because other people may be interested in the problem:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2399586.html#2399586
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:arrow: QUESTION for P3 TESTERS

i've run into a support request where someone installing from the P3 ISO has noticed that setting the hostname/domainname does not work properly with Jackass! for P3. according to the post, the /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname methods do not work with the P3 tarball, and the user has to revert to the deprecated method of setting /etc/hostname and /etc/domainname to get the proper output when checking hostname -f.

is this a phenomenon that is a fluke, or have you testers noticed it with the P3 Jackass! tarballs?

Fwiw, i have never observed this phenomenon with the Jackass! tarballs that I have tested when writing the docs -- the Pentium, Pentium-MMX, or Pentium-Pro tarballs. I'm wondering if there's a subtle difference that has crept into the P3 tarballs that has effected this change, or if its just a fluke.

here is the link to the related posts:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2399687.html#2399687

fwiw, it looks like the gentoo-release file needs to be updated in the P3 tarball as well.
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had this proble during any of my installs bob.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph? i seem to remember him mentioning something related to hostnames at one time or another.
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
:arrow: QUESTION for P3 TESTERS

i've run into a support request where someone installing from the P3 ISO has noticed that setting the hostname/domainname does not work properly with Jackass! for P3. according to the post, the /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname methods do not work with the P3 tarball, and the user has to revert to the deprecated method of setting /etc/hostname and /etc/domainname to get the proper output when checking hostname -f.

is this a phenomenon that is a fluke, or have you testers noticed it with the P3 Jackass! tarballs?

Fwiw, i have never observed this phenomenon with the Jackass! tarballs that I have tested when writing the docs -- the Pentium, Pentium-MMX, or Pentium-Pro tarballs. I'm wondering if there's a subtle difference that has crept into the P3 tarballs that has effected this change, or if its just a fluke.

here is the link to the related posts:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2399687.html#2399687

fwiw, it looks like the gentoo-release file needs to be updated in the P3 tarball as well.

I have this problem with the athlon-xp version. i've PM-ed you about it about a week ago.

P.S. did u notice my post in this thread about pentium-M???
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i think its interesting that Jeremy did not have that problem with the Athlon-XP tarball, so i wonder if there's a difference in the way that the two of you did the install, or if there are some other variables that we haven't tracked down yet. the guys who have been doing this stuff for a long time have never been able to duplicate this problem, so its confusing me -- i don't follow why only some of the newer guys keep running into it. :?:

on the subject of P-M, yes i saw it, but we're not doing any additional architecture builds right now. for the time being, i've recommended that people who want a pentium-m install take the appropriate jackass! installation, update the arch flags, and do two emerge -e systems before populating the world files. does that cover your question?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
nightmorph? i seem to remember him mentioning something related to hostnames at one time or another.

Yup, I DO run into this problem. Actually, I've had to rely on /etc/hostname--NOT /etc/conf.d/hostname--on every single installation I've attempted, whether P, P2, or P3. And even back in the old Stage 1/3 or the regular Gentoo installs. I don't know why this is, but I have to do both the "echo $hostname > /etc/hostname" as well as editing the 127.0.0.1 line in /etc/hosts to include the name I specify.

Might just be my experience, but the old deprecated way of doing this has been the only one that works for me.
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
on the subject of P-M, yes i saw it, but we're not doing any additional architecture builds right now. for the time being, i've recommended that people who want a pentium-m install take the appropriate jackass! installation, update the arch flags, and do two emerge -e systems before populating the world files. does that cover your question?

Ok i got it, notify me IF/WHEN you need a tester with those type of machines. You clearly asked for pentium-M testers, so i responded. But let's drop the subject for now.

about the Hostname problem, this is what i have in my /etc/conf.d/hostname file:
Code:
#cat /etc/conf.d/hostname
HOSTNAME="jpc"
i've exactly followed the manual.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as one of the other posters had noted, the /etc/conf.d method of setting the hostname and domainname appears to be specific at present to the testing branch version of baselayout, while the old /etc/hostname and /etc/domainname method is presently being used in the stable branch version of baselayout.

the problem is that this situation hasn't always been consistent. it seems that while the baselayout has been in a state of transition, the hostname/domainname naming methods appear to have been deprecated and reprecated a number of times, as reflected by deprecation warnings about /etc/hostname both appearing and disappearing during the boot cycle. as a result, there have been times that the user has had to switch between the two methods when setting the hostnames on their boxes. i have to admit that while i've been working on Jackass! i haven't been focused on the progress of baselayout development by the Gentoo developers, and some of this has caught me off guard. for the sake of clarity and completeness, the updated version of the docs will go back to the methods used in the Stage 1/3 Guide, where both methods are listed. the user will be advised that at present, for a stable branch baselayout, the old method should be used. the new method will be listed as an alternative for those who may need it.

this is another example of the price that we pay to use a bleeding edge distro like Gentoo. you really have to stay on your toes. :wink:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Website Statistics for Our First Week:

Code:

Visitor Statistics:

1,580 Unique Visitors
 1,898 Total Visits
 6,290 Page Views
15,112 Hits
  53.8 GB Bandwidth

Code:

Download Statistics:

1,338 PDF Document
  390 Athlon XP ISO
  287 Pentium 4 ISO
  140 Pentium 3 ISO
   60 Pentium-MMX ISO
   52 Pentium-Classic ISO
   52 Pentium 2 ISO
   39 Pentium-Pro ISO

1,058 Total ISO Downloads
  668 Intel ISO Downloads
  390 Athlon-XP Downloads

In the first 7 days since Jackass! was released:

1,580 unique users have visited http://jackass.homelinux.org

1,338 PDF downloads (85% of the unique visitors download the manual)

1,058 ISO downloads (79% of the people who download the documentation download an ISO)

The popularity of the ISO downloads remains biased toward the newer boxes.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIRRORS WANTED.

If anyone is interested in acting as a public distribution mirror for Jackass!, please contact me by PM.

basically, we need people with nice fat pipes that can host about 1.2 GB of files. our Jackass! Project home page will be the front end for the system, and a mirror page on our site will direct users to their choice of mirror.

there are all sorts of details that would be required for becoming a mirror, mostly related to technical aspects of file hosting, agreements not to post ads on the mirrors, etc.

please send me a PM if you're interested.

thanks!

bob

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIRROR ANNOUNCEMENT:

We are happy to announce that we have had two web hosts volunteer their service in support of Open Source Software Development by acting as file-download mirrors for The Jackass! Project.

Two Authorized Download Mirrors for The Jackass! Project went on-line today. At present, Jackass! is being hosted on three download mirrors that have very fat pipes.

I would like to acknowledge the following people who have been generous enough to provide file hosting services for the project. The new mirrors are administrated by Eric Davis and James Dio.

Code:

Host:          URL:                              Location:     Notes:
----------     ------------------------------    ---------     -------------------------------------------
Eric Davis     http://compuextreme.com           USA - CA      Free Hosting Plans for Open Source projects
James Dio      http://psunit.com                 USA - NJ      PS-Unit Mirror for OSS Projects
Ryan Lynch     http://bluebox.student.umd.edu    USA - MD      Jackass! Project Development Team

obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet. well there's one less thing to worry about
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still looking for additional mirrors to support distribution of The Jackass! Project. If anyone would be interested in supporting OSSD by providing a mirror for The Jackass! Project, please send me a Personal Message via the Gentoo Forums. Optimally, we would like to add an additional USA mirror (preferably in the Midwest) and a European mirror. 8)
DaTruck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Pentium-M Reply with quote

I have an Inspiron 8200 from work that I dual-boot with Gentoo and XP, I would be willing to test a Pentium-M Jackass! as I'm using the Pentium3 now and need to reinstall my XP anyway (I hate to use a MS OS for more than a month or so without a reinstall).
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look who downloaded jackass:

A17-216-30-135.apple.com (17.216.30.135)
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whom might that be?

Could it just be some PowerPC Gentoo user with a .Mac account, or something more sinister?
Rhyotte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sinister really, recently I read that Microsoft may be using gentoo's portage system for its Unix services. It would seem that Gentoo in general is getting popular. The fact that some one actually worked out a nice release of a NPTL gentoo system is certainly worth "others" taking notice :) In fact this box will be fully converted to a gentoo Jackass box sometime next week when I finsish backing up some files off of it. So thank you Jackass Dev's for all the great work, talk about saving time and headaches getting all the kinks worked out the google / rtfm way!!
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhyotte wrote:
Not so sinister really, recently I read that Microsoft may be using gentoo's portage system for its Unix services.

Just to clarify, Microsoft is not, but a very small team of independent coders is trying to. It's not an official Microsoft-endorsed project; they're just trying to get it to run on the existing framework provided by Microsoft.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhyotte wrote:
Not so sinister really, recently I read that Microsoft may be using gentoo's portage system for its Unix services. It would seem that Gentoo in general is getting popular. The fact that some one actually worked out a nice release of a NPTL gentoo system is certainly worth "others" taking notice :) In fact this box will be fully converted to a gentoo Jackass box sometime next week when I finsish backing up some files off of it. So thank you Jackass Dev's for all the great work, talk about saving time and headaches getting all the kinks worked out the google / rtfm way!!
Your not talking about this april fools joke are you?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Your not talking about this april fools joke are you?

Nope. You may or may not trust OSNews, but they first ran a story here. It's legit, though as I said not an official Microsoft project.

See these Gentoo forum threads:
GeNToo: Gentoo on Microsoft Services for Unix
Portage to be ported to Windows

Though it has similarity to the April Fool's joke, it's only superficial. The Windows coders are attempting to adapt Portage to the POSIX services included (by Microsoft) in Windows.
jamesshuang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I was just wondering, I'm currently doing an NPTL Stage 1/3 install on my pentium-m Dell 700m right now. I can easily package up a stage tarball after I'm done emerging system. If you guys want, I can put this somewhere and use it as a pentium-m tester. Would any of you developers like to take this up?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesshuang wrote:
Hey everyone, I was just wondering, I'm currently doing an NPTL Stage 1/3 install on my pentium-m Dell 700m right now. I can easily package up a stage tarball after I'm done emerging system. If you guys want, I can put this somewhere and use it as a pentium-m tester. Would any of you developers like to take this up?

Thanks for your generous offer. We've had a couple of offers similar to yours, and we've had to pass on them for a couple of reasons. For the sake of brevity, I'm going to re-post one of the responses that I posted in the Jackass! Release Announcement in OTW:

Bob P wrote:
unfortunately, compiling an ISO for the Jackass! project isn't as simple as just whipping up a tarball and sending it to me. whipping up a tarball for any architecture is something that I can do with about 5 minutes of actual seat time, and an afternoon of compile time. the real work comes along when its time to TEST the tarballs, certify that they are free of errors, and certify that they are stable for release under the Jackass! name.

COMPILING a Jackass! tarball only takes me a few minutes of actual work on my part. TESTING a Jackass! tarball takes about a man-year of time! it takes time for the Testing Coordinator, and it takes time for a 6 man Testing Team to perform thorough and adequate testing. then it takes lots of time for the testing team to discuss problems that have been encountered, for develpers to make changes, to recompile the new tarballs, and then thoroughly re-test everything all over again. the addition of one single architecture to the Jackass! Project requires an extensive time commitment from an awful lot of people. every tarball that we built for The Jackass! Project went through three different specifications/rebuilds and an entire team of people spent up to two months testing them.

i'm happy that we've had plenty of people volunteer to help with compiling for alternate arches, and i apprecaite your generous offer to do so. but i think that an awful lot of people share a common misconception that compiling constitutes any significant portion of the time that is required to build a tarball and an ISO for The Jackass! Project. it doesn't. actually, the time spent compiling was neglegible in comparison to the time that was needed to perform thorough and adequate testing for the project. although i've only spent a few minutes of actual seat time performing compilations, i have spent hours every day for the past 2 months working on the testing of the tarballs. an entire fleet of testers made similar time commitments.

so i think its safe to say that anyone who's offering to compile stuff and send it our way for testing doesn't really appreciate what a minor task compiling is in comparison to the monumental task of testing the system. in order for any tarball to make it into the Jackass! Project, it will have to be thoroughly tested before it can be labeled as a Jackass! Toolkit. if people are willing to compile using my methods for alternate architectures, i would happily welcome that. but i just don't have months of time to donate to recruiting an entirely new Testing Team and extensively testing someone else's work.

the only other option that i can see is releasing an inadequately tested or un-tested tarball under the Jackass! name, and i'm not willing to consider doing that. if somebody is interested in creating a parallel project for older AMD boxes, i would welcome that, and i might even be able to offer my help in an advisory role. but because those tarballs and ISO images wouldn't be built by the Jackass! Development Team and wouldn't be tested by the Jackass! Testing Team, they can't be branded as Jackass! Toolkits.

as it stands now, we have 3 or 4 people who have offered their services on pentium-m. i don't know about the other testers, but i'm sufficiently tired of this project right now that i don't want to re-enter the testing process -- i'm still enjoying having finished the project and taking a break. actually, i'm not even taking a break, because instead of enjoying free time after completing the project, i've taken-on the job of hosting the Jackass! Project Server, which is a project in itself.

with that said, if we can get enough people who are actually willing to make the testing commitment, then a pentium-m might be worth considering. right now, we've finished with Jackass! 2005.0 and adding any new architectures will have to wait for 2005.1. (Gentoo is already starting to work on 2005.1, you know. :wink: ) in the interim, i'd just recommend installing Jackass! for P3 and recompiling if you feel that its worth it to get the pentium-m arch flags into effect.

thanks again.
smeagul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Intel M Reply with quote

Wanted to put my two cents in that I am interested in Jackass supporting the Intel M processor. I would be willing to be a tester.

Regards,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: