Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Not losing the running apps when switching users?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Not losing the running apps when switching users? Reply with quote

Maybe the question will sound silly, but... when I'm logged in KDE, switch user and then log back with the first, I would expect (and like) the apps that were active from the first session to be still there and working. Instead, I have the feeling (correct me if I'm wrong) that they were closed when I logged out and restarted when I logged back in. Is it just a matter of X restarting, while the processes are still there and running? And if so, is it possible to get them back? Or this kind of "background" activity limited to non-X applications? Am I missing something in the settings (I don't think this is the problem, but...)? I couldn't believe that such a behaviour is just impossible to obtain... come on, Windows does it! 8)
TripKnot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are right, the apps are shut down and restarted when you log back in.

There is an option to make X start multiple sessions, ie on F7, F8 and so on. So basically you can have multiple people logged in using separate window managers and apps. Switching between users/screens leaves the apps running.

I'm sorry to say though that I don't remember how to go about this. I htink someone else tried this once before to get that winXP user switching like feature to work in X. A search might turn up something.
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One program which did this was xnest however gdm now has this capability in the gdmflexiserver which provides New login and New login in a nested window menu options in the default gnome menus. perhaps if you switch from kdm you could use this it works very well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: