Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
/dev/hda is the gentoo 2005.0 livecd. What the?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure from your last post if you got the keyboard working, but if you didn't, for the keyboard to work, make sure that you have ADB enabled. If it's a USB keyboard, you'll need to have USB input devices and the Event Subsystem. I'm not sure which bus / driver the CD drive is on, you'll have to boot from the livecd to figure it out. I'm also not sure why emerging pciutils hangs things, are there any error messages? Does it hang when other packages are emerged?

Sorry you're still having trouble.
i_know_tim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disconnected the cd drive and connected a hard disk instead and found that i couldn't get access to it and when it was booting with the cd drive connected it was comming up with an error saying it couldn't be mounted. I now know why.

The keyboard still doesn't work properly but i have discovered it i keep hitting keys while it boots the keyboard works every time. but i have set up ssh now so it's not a massive problem even though it would be good to get it fixed. I did a genkernel kernel build with a few extra drivers installed and that fixed a few other problems. but i thought if i installed coldplug and hotplug that would fix the keyboard problem but since pciutils won't install i can't. the pciutils emerge hangs at
Code:
updating pci.ids...

and it doesn't give any errors it just sits there forever. i might leave it overnight. you never know it may work eventually but the cpu usage is sitting at 0.3%, so i doubt it.

The problem i am most worried about is that when it boots it comes up with the following error messages:
Code:
hda: dma_intr: status=051 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown

does anyone know why i would be getting these errors.

I'll have to reconnect the cddrive and work out what 2 ide buses are in there so i can get the cd drive working properly.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On rev 1 Blue + White's there are some DMA corruption issues with hard drives on the CD controller, especially if you try to put two drives on. Another common reason are bad sectors on the disk. Not very good. :( I've had similar errors when my reiserfs filesystem got screwy on ppc, but besides that, I'm not sure. As for the keyboard, again, sounds like a hardware problem, sorry. :(
i_know_tim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason pciutils has decided to emerge, woot. hopefully that will fix my keyboard problem and give me a clue on how to get my cd drive to show up.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: