Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone have KDE 3.4 running on a SPARC yet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i-right-i
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Anyone have KDE 3.4 running on a SPARC yet? Reply with quote

I am looking to try it, but was curious if anyone else has, and if they have had any success.

Also I have been reading for 2 days all kinds of stuff trying to figure out how to unmask it for my X86 box at home. But I just can't seem to find anything that makes sense to me. Its at bits and pieces. I looked at the Doc's for portage, but again it is written in a way that just doesn't give you what you need if you have never done it before.

Thanks

i-right-i
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been unmasked since the day it came out. However it's still in ~sparc and not in sparc, if that's what you mean. Same goes for x86.
Risk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: KDE 3.4.0 on SPARC Reply with quote

I have successfully compiled and run KDE 3.4.0 on:

Ultra 10 2.6.11-r6 (w/ crappy builtin ATI Rage)
Ultra 10 2.6.10-r8 (")
SS20 2.4.30 (w/8MB builtin SX/cg14)

all using gcc 3.3.5
squash
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running it on an E450 that is otherwise arch, and it works great.
llewelyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sparc Ultra 10 with kernel 2.4.28-sparc-r6 had no problems compiling and running KDE 3.4. I don't know if the way I installed it was the most sensible: ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge kdebase kdeadmin kdeartwork kdegraphics kdenetwork kdeutils, but although it took a while I have had no issues to complain of.
i-right-i
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses guys. One last question from a semi-gentoo noob. So what file do i put the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in. make.conf? or Someplace else?

Been scouring the boards looking for this little tid bit. Just can't can't seem to find it, or I am just blind. Probably the latter.

Thanks,

i-right-i
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llewelyn wrote:
... ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~sparc" emerge kdebase kdeadmin kdeartwork kdegraphics kdenetwork kdeutils ...

That's not really the best way to do this. For one thing another emerge without ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and it will likely want to downgrade your packages, then if you again add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to avoid the downgrade you will pull in other ~sparc packages that you may not want as ~sparc.

Instead you should add those packages to /etc/portage/package.keywords,
Code:
kde-base/kdeadmin ~sparc
kde-base/kdeartwork  ~sparc
... and so on ...

Then you can emerge KDE without having to add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, and it avoids the risk of pulling in other non-desired ~sparc packages.
i-right-i
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: KDE Stuff Reply with quote

Is there a way to basically emerge KDE 3.4 without having to list every single package in the package.keywords file.

Let me rephrase that, a way to pull all non-developer packages.

The reason I ask is becuase there are like 92 packages when i do a emerge -s kde

Like adding a kdebase* or something.

Thanks,

i-right-i
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can emerge KDE 3.4 using the monolithic ebuilds for it .. in that case you would only need to add a few packages to package.keywords, else with the split ebuilds (i.e either individually or using the meta ebuilds) you will have to list everything you need -- i.e. the 20-30 packages or so.

To emerge KDE 3.4 with the monolith ebuilds, just emerge kde -- once you have such things as kde-base/kdemultimedia, kde-base/kdeaddons, etc in package.keywords.

To help clear some of this up, take a look at these Gentoo docs.
i-right-i
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Giving up Reply with quote

I read those Docs, but I still can't get it to work. This has got to be the most assinine way of doing something. I am just giving up until kde 3.4 makes is to the regular unmasked base portage tree. Last thing I want to do is break this box. I use it way too much during the day to go without it.

Thanks for all your help.

i-right-i
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I personally like the split ebuilds for KDE ... makes it much quicker to install KDE, also given that between versions of KDE not all things get changed, with the split ebuilds you will only have to update that which really needs updating, unlike with the monolithic ebuilds where everything has to be rebuilt. This will be more noticeable once KDE 3.4.1 comes out.

In the meantime, KDE 3.4.0 is marked ~x86 and ~sparc because there is a problem with kuser -- supposedly it can really hose your user accounts, at least that's what I have heard.

You would experience this same problem/annoyance with Gnome, or even XFCE4, and package.keywords if you were trying to emerge a keyword-masked version of it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: