Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Microsoft amazes Engineering students!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nadir-san
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 May 2004
Posts: 174
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Microsoft amazes Engineering students! Reply with quote

Hey Check it out,
My flatmate went to a talk from the computer engineering department at his university, and there were two Microsoft guys there for no reason, except to pimp the company.
Check out these shit keyrings they gave us!
I mean we broke one in about 20 seconds and another guy totally wrecked his hand playing with one, all they're good for is garotte wire!

http://netsoc.tcd.ie/~broadhed/microsoft2.jpg

text reads 'Microsoft Top 10 2005 - Best company to work for'

The guy said that a year ago they were in the top 5 and that he
Quote:

didn't know what happened

lmao
I mean, come on are these badly designed , easily broken, and, lets face it, dangerous pieces of junk really supposed to convince an engineer to join their company!?

or is it just the same as everything else they make?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steve_d555
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 458
Location: Belmont, Massachusetts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft amazes Engineering students! Reply with quote

nadir-san wrote:

or is it just the same as everything else they make?

Same :lol:
_________________
rubyforums | blog | boxwhore
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguinlnx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 124
Location: Ice Station Alert AFB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they went from the top OS down to the Top 10 OSs? and celebrated with a keychain? ouch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killfire
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2003
Posts: 618

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguinlnx wrote:
So they went from the top OS down to the Top 10 OSs? and celebrated with a keychain? ouch.


not sure if it was a joke or a missunderstanding, he said "top ten businesses to work for"

killfire
_________________
my website, built in HAppS: http://dbpatterson.com
an art (oil painting) website I built a pure python backend for: http://www.lydiajohnston.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spent
n00b
n00b


Joined: 30 May 2004
Posts: 55
Location: Bawlmer Hon!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't think MS actually manufactured the keychain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we really that desprate for reasons to criticize Microsoft? They hand out crappy keychains for free?

Hmmmmm. I was going to write a list of good reasons to complain about Microsoft, but I can't really think of any. They abused their monopoly to quash competition, but besides that, their OS is getting pretty decent. It is stable at least.

Wow, me complimenting Microsoft. What has the world come to?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1261
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Are we really that desprate for reasons to criticize Microsoft? They hand out crappy keychains for free?

Hmmmmm. I was going to write a list of good reasons to complain about Microsoft, but I can't really think of any. They abused their monopoly to quash competition, but besides that, their OS is getting pretty decent. It is stable at least.

Wow, me complimenting Microsoft. What has the world come to?


I was looking at this thread thinking the same thing. I'm no fan of the company, but they are getting their work together.
_________________
Git has obsoleted SVN.
10mm Auto has obsoleted 45 ACP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguinlnx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 124
Location: Ice Station Alert AFB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They abused their monopoly to quash competition..
So good you have to read it twice!...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguinlnx wrote:
Quote:
They abused their monopoly to quash competition..
So good you have to read it twice!...

To be fair (to myself), the long version of that sentence would be "They abused their operating system monopoly to quash competition in other software areas, such as office products and media programs". I guess I am too tired to let even a little joke go. Sorry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Are we really that desprate for reasons to criticize Microsoft? They hand out crappy keychains for free?

Hmmmmm. I was going to write a list of good reasons to complain about Microsoft, but I can't really think of any. They abused their monopoly to quash competition, but besides that, their OS is getting pretty decent. It is stable at least.

Wow, me complimenting Microsoft. What has the world come to?


I was looking at this thread thinking the same thing. I'm no fan of the company, but they are getting their work together.

Wow, when I agree with wswartzendruber about Microsoft, I am really in trouble. Someone just shoot me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Posts: 1557
Location: Brno, Czech Republic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is for sure, I will never make Windows my primary OS, even if Longhorn or whatever after that blew the fuck out of Linux in terms of speed and stability. There are other reasons unrelated to those I mentioned which make Linux/Unix my preferred OS, thus Microsoft sucks, and Windows double that. Us who trully enjoy Linux/Unix have the very right to keep bagging MS till death. Imho, i feel some people change to use Linux not because they would trully enjoy it but because Windows has let them down in some aspects, and deep within them they are still MS fanboys just waiting for their opportunity to jump back on the bandwagon of windows users. I don't understand when someone says they dont like Windows and Microsoft, and in the next sentence they seem so enthusiastic about the next piece of shit MS puts out called Longhorn, and adding onto it something like "Now Microsoft is really fixing it and getting the work done".
I will use one of Buddha's sayings paraphrased to my own agenda "Either go all the way, or do not go at all".
Just my two cents. :wink:
_________________
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ats007spdou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft amazes Engineering students! Reply with quote

nadir-san wrote:
http://netsoc.tcd.ie/~broadhed/microsoft2.jpg

That's pretty fruity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goalie_Ca
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 156
Location: Vancouver,B.C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half the time they send reps or speakers its usually contracted or subcontracted and the reps don't always have full respect. Sad.
As an engineering student i hardly see myself writting desktop programs for a living anyways.
_________________
Jabber: goalieca[AT]jabber.fr
Beautiful Vancouver, B.C.
http://www.sfu.ca/~rdickie/images/sig_small.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1261
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Are we really that desprate for reasons to criticize Microsoft? They hand out crappy keychains for free?

Hmmmmm. I was going to write a list of good reasons to complain about Microsoft, but I can't really think of any. They abused their monopoly to quash competition, but besides that, their OS is getting pretty decent. It is stable at least.

Wow, me complimenting Microsoft. What has the world come to?


I was looking at this thread thinking the same thing. I'm no fan of the company, but they are getting their work together.

Wow, when I agree with wswartzendruber about Microsoft, I am really in trouble. Someone just shoot me.


Gentoo Linux is my primary OS, not Windows.
_________________
Git has obsoleted SVN.
10mm Auto has obsoleted 45 ACP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ats007spdou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Posts: 97

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Are we really that desprate for reasons to criticize Microsoft? They hand out crappy keychains for free?

Hmmmmm. I was going to write a list of good reasons to complain about Microsoft, but I can't really think of any. They abused their monopoly to quash competition, but besides that, their OS is getting pretty decent. It is stable at least.

Wow, me complimenting Microsoft. What has the world come to?


I was looking at this thread thinking the same thing. I'm no fan of the company, but they are getting their work together.

Wow, when I agree with wswartzendruber about Microsoft, I am really in trouble. Someone just shoot me.

Ok :) .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nadir-san
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 May 2004
Posts: 174
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:
And I don't think MS actually manufactured the keychain.


just rebranded someone elses goods.... Oo same policy :p
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Gentoo Linux is my primary OS, not Windows.

Yet you manage to spend the majority of your posts on the Gentoo Forums talking about Windows and Microsoft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
porodzila
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 307
Location: Terrapin Station

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:
And I don't think MS actually manufactured the keychain.


but they certainly picked a crappy looking one.
_________________
ubi primum potero, me hinc subduco.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 17 Nov 2002
Posts: 6378
Location: Graz / EU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last October at the LWE they were giving away cool lanyards. Actually Microsoft's lanyard was heavier than the one i got from IBM, Sun and everyone else. It also was the most expensive probably. It still sucks because there is no penguin on it. ;)
_________________
Dinosaur week! (Ok, this thread is so last week)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 223

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent wrote:
And I don't think MS actually manufactured the keychain.

Microsoft prefers to make everything themselves, so that they won't depend on others (which is bad...).

Just like China!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ruzbeh
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 223

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or:

Microsoft made Windows, Windows brakes.

............ made keychain, keychain brakes.

Take a guess! :wink:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1261
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
Gentoo Linux is my primary OS, not Windows.

Yet you manage to spend the majority of your posts on the Gentoo Forums talking about Windows and Microsoft.


When I see someone blame Microsoft for their own mistakes, I point it out.
_________________
Git has obsoleted SVN.
10mm Auto has obsoleted 45 ACP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
richk449 wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
Gentoo Linux is my primary OS, not Windows.

Yet you manage to spend the majority of your posts on the Gentoo Forums talking about Windows and Microsoft.

When I see someone blame Microsoft for their own mistakes, I point it out.

Who is to blame for Microsoft's mistakes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1261
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
richk449 wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
Gentoo Linux is my primary OS, not Windows.

Yet you manage to spend the majority of your posts on the Gentoo Forums talking about Windows and Microsoft.

When I see someone blame Microsoft for their own mistakes, I point it out.

Who is to blame for Microsoft's mistakes?


Not Microsoft's mistakes, their (a few of the people here) mistakes. For example, people not disabling RPC via network.
_________________
Git has obsoleted SVN.
10mm Auto has obsoleted 45 ACP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richk449
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Oct 2003
Posts: 345

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Not Microsoft's mistakes, their (a few of the people here) mistakes. For example, people not disabling RPC via network.

Yea, I understood your meaning (after a bit of thought). I was curious who was to blame for Microsoft's mistakes.

By the way, what is RPC via network?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum