View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Matrox G400 weirdness Reply with quote

I use a Matrox G400 card for my Linux system and it exibits strange behavior consistant with a buggy driver.
SImple animations such as the smiley faces used in this forum software for use in messages, and GIF animations in websites, are occasionally displayed as nothing more than a series of vertical lines. The content of the virtical lines is the same as it should be, but the areas of the image without said lines are blank, or sometimes black and "splotchy."

Additionally, the video seems somehow out of sync. When the electron guns pass back and forth, they must be timed such that all horizontal lines that they draw match up with vertical lines, that is, if they are not times write the screen seems to "wiggle." That is the behavior that I am getting, and it does not happen in Windows. Odd that such synchronization is, AFAIK, not related to the video driver. It has the same effect as having an extremely cheap monitor, like a ViewMate brand. This behavior is far worse when I move the mouse over an animation (the entire screen's pixels get misaligned and then realign again rapidly as I drag the mouse)
I put the monitor specs into the X config file straight from the specs from Sony, so that isn't the problem. Or at least, shoudln't be.

Is the driver for the G400 buggy, or is it something else? Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time for any help!
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some monitors are picky about video modes... my vivitron 15 has problems when I use the nvidia drivers and try to make 1152x864 work (but it works fine with the nv driver and the same modeline)

Although, I don't have another monitor here to test it with...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: