View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dook_master_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have found that linux is very much more stable that windows, I have one other thing to say. Do you even have room to complain? Not only was the vast majority of stuff you use in linux coded on someone's free time, for free distribution, you chose to use it as well. It's great that it works really well, but if something bothers you, you should just take it in stride. :)
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really quite surprised that there's so many people posting in this thread that have stability problems with X.

I have never had a problem, and I have far from perfect hardware (emachines). I even leave most of the programs that I use running all the time without incident. I can recall having firefox freeze once since reaching 1.0 (and crashing a few times on poorly written sites with pre-1.0 versions) but other than that I can't think of any stability problems that I've encountered with any of the programs I use.

Maybe I'm just lucky :?
Riddick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_dook_master_ has the correct philosophy -
that's all it, but if you're trying to be serious it can be a pan having things fail all the time...
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's take it to the logical conclusion: stop bitching and start coding!!! :)
Illissius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly have uptimes of 10-20 days, which end because of either an intentional reboot or a power outage. I'm running KDE from CVS, and don't have much instability with that either...
That said, I didn't have any with Windows, either. Windows 2003 also got 10-20 days-ish uptimes that were only terminated intentionally. Don't know about 2000 or XP, as I tended to shut them off at night... (that was before I discovered F@H)
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antiwmac wrote:
well most of linux users will say "because of hardware"
not this time, because I have tested on three computers ( one, my laptop, two, my desktop , there,, my friends desktop)

I'm just saying Windowze does have stabilitiy(only NT kernel) with GUI ends then Xorg.
I know my friend's server got more then 1year uptime in linux system.(no runnin x's)
and its quite amazing :D

this IS because of hardware. You say you have stability when using the "nv" driver? This is why, nvidia allows laptop manufacturers to modify the chips slightly, this is why every windows laptop with nvidia hardware has custom drivers from manufacturer.

My personal view, linux (the kernel) is rock stable, X is very stable, nvidia/ati drivers closed source.... not so stable on some hardware configs, gnome/kde/software on linux not neccesarly stable.

A friend of mine was complaining about linux stability, as he was browsing a windows network with his laptop (using nautilus) and it appeared to be hung for a while until it timed out and closed. I asked him to demonstrate how well this worked on windows and it crashed, taking his start menu with him, and it did not come back ;)
DNL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neuron wrote:
this IS because of hardware. You say you have stability when using the "nv" driver? This is why, nvidia allows laptop manufacturers to modify the chips slightly, this is why every windows laptop with nvidia hardware has custom drivers from manufacturer.

That was me who said "nv" driver. but for the record, I think it is Nvidia's driver as I've read other people with similar problems. Or perhaps, a setting I need to make it in it? Don't know, don't really care at this point, it's not critical. This is a workstation, not a server, and I can login via a terminal to restart X when it happens so no sweat.

But as for the OP, he didn't mention any details at all, which makes me wonder if he's even tried to figure out what is going on.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I am not complaing or having fun saying linux is not stable.
I am linux fun, and I have met linus several years ago, and I do love linux.
but in other way, I must agree that windows DOES have nice rendering of GUI's(but slow)
so pls, dont take this wrong way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: