Need some advise on mail setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Need some advise on mail setup Reply with quote

Hi,

I need some advise as to what mail utils I should use in my situation. I have a setup where I use one box as a router/firewall/adsl general purpose server, a workstation and a notebook. Currently I handle all mail thru kmail on my notebook. What I really want is to be able to handle my mail using kmail on both my workstation _and_ my notebook. Because my general purpose server is allways on, my idea was to implement a mailserver on it that can handle imap, so the mail stays on the server. My second goal would be to acces my mail thru the internet from a browser. For this I would need a webmail package in my server. Do you guys have any advise for setting this up? What tools to use? What to avoid? Better alternative's?
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say experience is scarce but I did a setup like you describe and it's working well for me. I opted for a solution with apache/postfix/squirrelmail, as is suggested in the gentoo desktop guide ( points 6 & 8 )..

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

I'm sure there are better ways of doing it but the advantage here is that config is simple for all the components. I tried installing qmail which is supposed to be very safe but I couldn't figure out the config.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: