can't get games running
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ixion
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: can't get games running Reply with quote

I just got done with my first successful Gentoo install. I had some trouble getting a window manager up, but I'm finally running fluxbox. Anyway, I installed one of my favorite games, LOKI Descent3 for Linux. It starts fine (although it didn't have the graphical install, it was all text based), but when I start a game it reports "Recursive signal cleanup! Hard exit! AHHGGGG!". When I first installed it it had reported a libGL.so error, so I reinstalled the nvidia drivers (which I've been having trouble with) from scratch (downloaded the tar files, unpacked, did 'make install' in the 'kernel' and 'GLX' directories). Could that be causing the problem? I've been bouncing between the 'emerge nvidia-glx/nvidia-kernel (version 3123)' and the 4191's (manual install), could that have corrupted my install? Should I just reinstall gentoo? If I do a reinstall, how would I get the latest nvidia drivers? The only ones that would show up in the tree (with 'emerge -s nvidia') were the 3123's.
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'd suggest running something simple like glxgears (you should have it already) to try to get a better idea of where the problem is.

Also, the 4191 drivers are ~x86 masked, so you'll have to put ~x86 in your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in /etc/make.conf to get them. I personally doubt, though, that the 4191s would work where the 3123s didn't. I also don't think you'll need to reinstall Gentoo; even if a manual install of 4191 borked something, emerging 3123 or the 4191 should get you back in shape.
ixion
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I reinstalled (sorry, didn't see your post until after I repartitioned:-/), and got the new nvidia's (4191) on first try (without a problem). I can run 'glxgears' which runs like a champ. But my game still does not run the graphical setup, which from my previous experience tells me it's not going to run correctly after installed.

I found in nvidia's README about this problem (X starts fine, but OpenGL applications fail), but can't really follow it. It talks about the libGL symlinks. Some are missing (libGL.so.4191-1.0), but if glxgears runs, that means my environment's fine, right? How can I make my game (descent3) to look at the correct GL libraries? It did run great in slackware, so I must have something configured wrong somewhere.
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ixion wrote:
ok I reinstalled (sorry, didn't see your post until after I repartitioned:-/), and got the new nvidia's (4191) on first try (without a problem). I can run 'glxgears' which runs like a champ. But my game still does not run the graphical setup, which from my previous experience tells me it's not going to run correctly after installed.

I found in nvidia's README about this problem (X starts fine, but OpenGL applications fail), but can't really follow it. It talks about the libGL symlinks. Some are missing (libGL.so.4191-1.0), but if glxgears runs, that means my environment's fine, right? How can I make my game (descent3) to look at the correct GL libraries? It did run great in slackware, so I must have something configured wrong somewhere.

Quote:

usage: opengl-update <GL implementation>

note:
This utility switch between OpenGL implementations. Currently there
are two supported implementations, namely "xfree" and "nvidia", the
implementations for XFree86 and the NVidia drivers respectively.

examples:
opengl-update xfree
This will setup things to use libGL.so from XFree86

opengl-update nvidia
This will setup things to use libGL.so from the NVidia drivers.

Have you tried this?

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
ixion
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that did it! I logged in as my usual user, su'd to root, ran 'opengl-update nvidia', exited root, started X with usual user, voila!

How can I have this updated automatically on a reboot, so I don't have to type it as root everytime?
darktux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to type it anymore :roll:

The links have been made and you are GOOD TO GO! :D

btw, you're welcome :evil:

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: