MySQL 4.1x status
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
expat_iain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: MySQL 4.1x status Reply with quote

What are the delays/holdups relating to MySQL 4.1x getting into portage and what's the status of resolving these issues??

Regs.

Iain.
transienteagle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MySQL 4.1x status Reply with quote

expat_iain wrote:
What are the delays/holdups relating to MySQL 4.1x getting into portage and what's the status of resolving these issues??

Regs.

Iain.

Iain,

4.1-8 is in portage, but masked. I use 4.1-7 without any problems (for a long time)

rgds

TE
expat_iain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proably should have said 'portage regular'. Seems all of the 4.1x series have been masked for some time and not just ~<arch> but in the packages.masked file. My concern is running this on production systems when Gentoo is making noises about the 4.1x series.

I really need the subselects functionality and MySQL have rated the 4.1x series as being stable for some time now. So the question really is what is holding up this series from being added as stable into portage?? Cannot find anything (brief searches) that explains what the hold back is being caused by, especially as there are so many ebuilds out there and people, like yourself, talking about how stable these versions are.

Regs.

Iain.
transienteagle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

expat_iain wrote:
Proably should have said 'portage regular'. Seems all of the 4.1x series have been masked for some time and not just ~<arch> but in the packages.masked file. My concern is running this on production systems when Gentoo is making noises about the 4.1x series.

I really need the subselects functionality and MySQL have rated the 4.1x series as being stable for some time now. So the question really is what is holding up this series from being added as stable into portage?? Cannot find anything (brief searches) that explains what the hold back is being caused by, especially as there are so many ebuilds out there and people, like yourself, talking about how stable these versions are.

Regs.

Iain.

Iain,

I suspect that it is lack of resources for full testing, or maybe for database changes going from 4.0 to 4.1, hopefully a dev will spot your post and we will get an answer. All I can say is that the masked pakages work really well (for me anyway).

rgds

TE
Bollenator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the ignorance, but how exactly do you emerge a hard-masked package? Is this where I need my own portage overlay or can I safely edit /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask? Thanks for any help!

"This one's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, baked in a conundrum, splashed with brain-twisters, diced, and served cold on a riddle roll with secret sauce."
expat_iain
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably doing this the wrong way, but I comment out the entry from packages.mask.

But I'm still not totally comfortable doing this as one can run into problems with other packages.

Perhaps this all comes down to where one is using Gentoo. As a home server or desktop system, it's great. Personally I have used it in production server environments and it is an exceptional distro. But if one is looking for a totally stable distro then IMO Debian is hard to beat.

That being said I'm sure there are plenty of people who on the OSS front would suggest FreeBSD for a truely stable OS!

Regs.

Iain.
JoKo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollenator wrote:
Sorry for the ignorance, but how exactly do you emerge a hard-masked package? Is this where I need my own portage overlay or can I safely edit /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask? Thanks for any help!

Try editing /etc/portage/package.unmask (or create it in case it doesn't exist)...
kdillen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to reask my question again, because some moderator found it to be a duplicate thread...

Where is the first official stable release of MySQL 4.1.x series in portage ?

And no I don't mean the 4.1.8 in it already.... Because that was still a beta, I am talking about the 4.1.10 or higher which was the first official stable release.

And when can we expect it to be in portage ?

Thanks in advance.

Kurt
jgomo3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoKo wrote:
Bollenator wrote:

Try editing /etc/portage/package.unmask (or create it in case it doesn't exist)...

I tried but it didn't work. Please, could you explain how should i insert registers in packages.unmask?... I tried this way:

=dev-db/mysql.4.1*

textually from packages.mask.
Scytale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try >=dev-db/mysql-4.1
jgomo3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didin't wait for an answare and desperated commented the packages.mask and installed mysql-4.1.8-r1.

So i'm not gona try waht you suggest but it sounds logic. I wish i had readed that before. Thanx any way.
kdillen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scytale wrote:
Try >=dev-db/mysql-4.1

Just tried it, and the result is negative.

<dev-db/mysql-4.1 (is blocking dev-db/mysql-4.1.8-r1)

Any other suggestions ?
jgomo3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdillen wrote:
Scytale wrote:
Try >=dev-db/mysql-4.1

Just tried it, and the result is negative.

<dev-db/mysql-4.1 (is blocking dev-db/mysql-4.1.8-r1)

Any other suggestions ?

emerge --unmerge mysql
emerge mysql
LordArthas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I think I'll wait for MySQL 4.1.11 to be in portage (I hope ti comes soon) before unmasking the 4.1.x series.

Morever, the 5.0.x should appear as well soon or after (masked, of course!).

Michele.
dramue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mifiele wrote:

I think I'll wait for MySQL 4.1.11 to be in portage (I hope ti comes soon) before unmasking the 4.1.x series.
Morever, the 5.0.x should appear as well soon or after (masked, of course!).
Michele.

There are ebuilds for MySQL 4.1 and 5.0 and detailed instructions for installation available here: http://www.francesco-riosa.com/gentoo/
adelante
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: MySQL 4.1.11 Reply with quote

From what I understand, Mysql-4.1.11 has gone stable from MySQL's side and they rate it as:
Generally Available (GA) release (recommended)

How come there is such a delay with this getting into the portage as even ~x86 ?
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should read the changelog and/or ask the package maintainer.
Usually, when a certain new package takes a long time to become stable in Gentoo, this means its dependencies are the problem, not the package itself.
Or there just aren't enough people to test all the different arches and combinations of dependencies.

If you look at the MySQL website you will see that they recommend either a minimum set of system libraries for that version, or specifically warn you about using certain versions with that new release.

That all has to be tested on Gentoo as well...
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the previous two posts here.
cdunham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaptr wrote:
You should read the changelog and/or ask the package maintainer.
Usually, when a certain new package takes a long time to become stable in Gentoo, this means its dependencies are the problem, not the package itself.
Or there just aren't enough people to test all the different arches and combinations of dependencies.

If you look at the MySQL website you will see that they recommend either a minimum set of system libraries for that version, or specifically warn you about using certain versions with that new release.

That all has to be tested on Gentoo as well...

So is that the problem? You use "usually" and "if" a lot. Are you giving us facts about this particular package, or conjecture about Gentoo development in general?

Having followed this for awhile, it looks more like that the actual developer is unavailable, and the packages are being developed by someone else, who may or may not be an actual developer who is able to check them into CVS. I could be talking out my ass also, however... ;-)
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... yeah, I was generalising, but probably no more than the OP was, i.e. if he'd bothered to firstly do all of those things (check bugzilla, ask the maintainer) then he wouldn't have asked the question - in any case, not in that way.

The only actual rule I have observed is that unstable packages should wait at least a month before being declared stable - even if nothing has been changed in the meantime.

And that's only common sense.

Besides, most of these guidelines and rules are up on the dev web site somewhere - which I've never bothered to read since I don't maintain any packages.

Quote:
Having followed this for awhile, it looks more like that the actual developer is unavailable, and the packages are being developed by someone else, who may or may not be an actual developer who is able to check them into CVS

Yuo seem to be confusing two types of person: a Gentoo package maintainer is usually not an upstream source developer.
They can be, but that would be more an exception than the rule.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MySQL 4.1x status Reply with quote

expat_iain wrote:

Regs.

Iain.

What I have always done is emerge the stable version of mysql then download whatever version I want from mysql.org. Right now I run 4.1.4-gamma-standard because I want to stay upto date with Mysql's new features like subqueries and I ran the 5.0 series to try the stored procedures... but I am way to used to Oracle PL/SQL packages to switch over to the standard (SQL99??) mysql is employing. The reason I emerge the stable portage copy is so that I have the libraries available where portage will be looking for them (USE="mysql" packages). My mysql server has never had a hicc-up even after a 147 day uptime stint following a 114 day uptime stint. just my 2 cents.

- Jon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: