snort + ACID
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: snort + ACID Reply with quote

what's the easiest way to install configure ACID on a gentoo system? Is there an ebuild available anywhere for it, or do I have to download and install from source? Any tricks or gotchas I should be aware of when configuring it to used a portage install of snort, apache, php, etc.? Thanks.
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on this myself. I have everything working somewhat, but not everything working right. There is a snort ebuild, but it isn't for the latest version. To get ACID going, you'll need to install MySQL, Apache, and PHP via ebuilds and then manually add some of the ACID dependencies as listed in the ACID install document. You'll also probably need to search this forum for help on getting PHP support working with Apache. I've been able to get everything working just using the ebuilds for everything Gentoo supports and manually adding the remaining tools ACID needs. The only thing missing at this point is I can't get image support to work, so no graphs. But since I don't use those much anyway, I can put that off until later.

RagManX
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Already had Apache and mod_php. Emerged snort and acid was tgzed in the install. Un tarred it to the htdocs and away it went after getting snort set up. I also used mysql with snort. The only time consuming thing was getting snort configured correctly.

I also can't get the GD support. I add GD to the use= and mod_php ebuild doesn't pick it up. I notice there is an if/then for pdflib to compile in GD in mod_php. I'll play with it some more later.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to play with snort of ACID much yet, but I did spend quite a while working on getting Apache + PHP + gd working a while back and never had any luck. Well, I believe I was able to get it working with the old version of gd, 1.8.4, but I needed the newest for the project I was working on. Also, in order to get the old version to work I had to disable a lot of other stuff in php, such as pdf support, etc. Really weird. Anyway, I ended up installing all 3 from source and didn't have a single problem. Not as convenient, but at least it works.
vibidoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have to install apache +php + mysql on the same machine than Snort ??

I had install snort + Iptables on a 32 Mb system , and I expect to install apache PHP Mysql on a other system to save system resource .
zentek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can setup snort to log to an extarnal database server and you can config acid to query mostly any DB server. The only requirement is that apache, php and acide live on the same box.

For image support, the latest version of acid is using a new set of libraries. It is working flawlessly for me ;-)
vibidoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:wink:

I will follow this Howto
zentek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i did :-)
RagManX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibidoo wrote:
:wink:

I will follow this Howto

Not a single mention of gentoo or using emerge to maintain the packages. My interest is in using managed packages as much as possible to maintain my monitoring system. On the plus side, apparently gd support is now built in to PHP-4.3.0, so those of us who had problems getting gd support working before should be able to see graphs in ACiD now. I'm doing a re-install now (thanks to the wonderful emerge-webrsync wipes your /usr directory) bug, so should know today or tomorrow how well it works.

RagManX
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: