Mplayer without realplayer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weingbz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Mplayer without realplayer Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to install the new mplayer versions without installing realplayer while still being able to play realvideo/audio, like in the older versions of mplayer? I don't want another media player and I don't want software from realnetworks on my computer.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mplayer requires realplayer mainly because of the real codecs, which now enables mplayer to play files meant for realplayer.

What I would suggest is a very convoluted way (many here will not approve of this). First of all get hold of the real codecs (the .so files) from somewhere. One way is to actually install realplayer, and copy those codecs from /opt/RealPlayer/codecs to some temporary location and then unmerge realplayer. Add realplayer package to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided And then copy those codecs back to /opt/RealPlayer/codecs. And then emerge mplayer.

There might be other better ways of doing this, but right now I don't see any.

HTH
weingbz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
I think mplayer requires realplayer mainly because of the real codecs, which now enables mplayer to play files meant for realplayer.

I would like them to play through the old wincodec library.
ppurka wrote:

What I would suggest is a very convoluted way (many here will not approve of this). First of all get hold of the real codecs (the .so files) from somewhere. One way is to actually install realplayer, and copy those codecs from /opt/RealPlayer/codecs to some temporary location and then unmerge realplayer. Add realplayer package to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided And then copy those codecs back to /opt/RealPlayer/codecs. And then emerge mplayer.
HTH

Just tried that, didn't work :-(
Code:

opening shared obj '/opt/RealPlayer/codecs/drv4.so.6.0'
Error: /opt/RealPlayer/codecs/drv4.so.6.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
opening win32 dll 'drv4.so.6.0'

The file it's looking doesn't exist, in the codecs directory I only have
amrn.so atrc.so cook.so drv1.so drvc.so rv10.so rv30.so sipr.so
amrw.so colorcvt.so cvt1.so drv2.so raac.so rv20.so rv40.so
So it's back to the old version for me until I figure this out.
arma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe unemergeing real and adding "-real" to your USE varible will allow mplayer to recompile without the real dependence. then
check the webpage of mplayer, there are many codecs to download (choose the archive named "all"). untar the archive you've just downloaded to /usr/lib/win32 or /usr/lib/codecs, then re-emerge mplayer, he will search for these codecs when initializing its installation
Stuart Hickinbottom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also having trouble with this. With 1.0_pre5-r5 I was able to use the win32codecs to be able to decode Real content without problems, but the change to the actual RealPlayer dependendency in 1.0_pre6-r4 means it also wants to pull in all of the required dependencies (approximately 75MB of source in my case).

This is a problem for me as my server is low powered, headless and doesn't have X11 installed.

I wonder whether it might be possible to differentiate between the 'real' RealPlayer and support using the win32codecs, possibly with different flavours of the 'real' USE flag?

The alternative for me is to stick with this older version, as I can't afford to bring in all of the X11 dependencies onto this small machine.

For information, this is the emerge output for this updated version:
Code:
[ebuild     U ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_pre6-r4 [1.0_pre5-r5] -3dfx +3dnow -3dnowext -X -aalib -alsa (-altivec) -arts -avi -bidi -cdparanoia -debug -dga -directfb -divx4linux -doc -dts -dv -dvb -dvd -dvdread -edl +encode -esd -fbcon -ggi +gif -gtk -i8x0 -ipv6 -jack -joystick +jpeg -libcaca -lirc -live -lzo -mad -matroska -matrox +mmx -mmxext +mpeg -mythtv -nas +nls -nvidia +oggvorbis -opengl -oss +png +real -rtc +samba -sdl -sse -sse2 -svga -tga -theora +truetype -v4l -v4l2 -xanim -xinerama -xmms -xv -xvid -xvmc 6,230 kB
[ebuild  N    ]  media-video/realplayer-10.0.3-r1  -mozilla 6,486 kB
[ebuild  N    ]   x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.4-r1  -debug -doc +jpeg -static -tiff 10,985 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    x11-misc/shared-mime-info-0.14-r2  347 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    dev-libs/atk-1.8.0  -debug -doc 488 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-terms/xterm-200-r1  -Xaw3d -debug -toolbar +truetype -unicode 681 kB
[ebuild  N    ]  sys-apps/utempter-0.5.5.5-r1  -debug 20 kB
[ebuild  N    ]   x11-libs/pango-1.8.1  -debug -doc -static 973 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1  -3dfx +3dnow +bitmap-fonts -cjk -debug -dlloader -dmx -doc -font-server -hardened -insecure-drivers -ipv6 -minimal +mmx +nls -opengl +pam -sdk -sse -static +truetype-fonts +type1-fonts (-uclibc) -xprint -xv 45,094 kB
[ebuild  N    ]     x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r2  -debug 19 kB
[ebuild  NS   ]    dev-libs/glib-2.6.3  -debug -doc -hardened 2,246 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    media-libs/fontconfig-2.2.3  732 kB

Total size of downloads: 74,305 kB
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, all you need to do is this:

USE="real" emerge win32codecs
USE="-real" emerge mplayer

That should give you the real codecs for playback in /usr/lib/real and mplayer will use those. Its the "real" flag in mplayer that is installing RealPlayer, which, btw, installs its own codecs in /opt/RealPlayer/codecs.

If you really wanted to, you could just copy its codecs over to /usr/lib/real and then get rid of RealPlayer.

Code:
cp -Rvu /opt/RealPlayer/codecs/* /usr/lib/real

Or you could just not emerge RealPlayer, and extract the codecs from the RPM.

Code:
# emerge -O realplayer
# cd /tmp
# mkdir real
# cd real
# rpm2targz /usr/portage/distfiles/RealPlayer-10.0.3.748-20050223.i586.rpm
# tar xzf RealPlayer-10.0.3.748-20050223.i586.tar.gz
# cp -vu usr/local/RealPlayer/codecs/* /usr/lib/real

and that's it. :)[/code]
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weingbz wrote:
ppurka wrote:

I would like them to play through the old wincodec library.
ppurka wrote:

HTH

Just tried that, didn't work :-(
Code:

opening shared obj '/opt/RealPlayer/codecs/drv4.so.6.0'
Error: /opt/RealPlayer/codecs/drv4.so.6.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
opening win32 dll 'drv4.so.6.0'

The file it's looking doesn't exist, in the codecs directory I only have
amrn.so atrc.so cook.so drv1.so drvc.so rv10.so rv30.so sipr.so
amrw.so colorcvt.so cvt1.so drv2.so raac.so rv20.so rv40.so
So it's back to the old version for me until I figure this out.

Wait a minute... is drv4.so.6.0 a realvideo codec?

In that case you need to
Code:
emerge realvideo-codecs
too, and copy those codecs to the /opt/RealPlayer/codecs directory.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Hickinbottom wrote:
I'm also having trouble with this. With 1.0_pre5-r5 I was able to use the win32codecs to be able to decode Real content without problems, but the change to the actual RealPlayer dependendency in 1.0_pre6-r4 means it also wants to pull in all of the required dependencies (approximately 75MB of source in my case).

This is a problem for me as my server is low powered, headless and doesn't have X11 installed.

I wonder whether it might be possible to differentiate between the 'real' RealPlayer and support using the win32codecs, possibly with different flavours of the 'real' USE flag?

The alternative for me is to stick with this older version, as I can't afford to bring in all of the X11 dependencies onto this small machine.
Why don't you emerge realplayer with
Code:
emerge realplayer --nodeps
That way it will not pull in all those X dependencies. And then follow the method I provided earlier. Alternatively, you could do the same as beandog said to get the real codecs.
Stuart Hickinbottom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have just listened to you the first time ppurka - that worked, thanks!

I emerged realplayer without the dependencies, captured the codecs, unmerged it, moved them back and then emerged the new mplayer, and it seems happy now.
weingbz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:

Wait a minute... is drv4.so.6.0 a realvideo codec?

In that case you need to
Code:
emerge realvideo-codecs
too, and copy those codecs to the /opt/RealPlayer/codecs directory.

OK thanks that worked. I had to unmask and emerge realvideo-codecs and move the two libraries from /opt/RealPlayer8/Codecs to /opt/RealPlayer/codecs (oh and rename Realplayer into RealPlayer) and it worked again :-)
kb_ganesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just stumbled onto this thread from gentoo-wiki.com...i am not able to emergerealvideo-codecs...whats the problem? emerge says no ebuilds to satisfy "realvideo-codecs"...?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: