Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate config DMA context

I can't start X, I noticed that initially edweirdo had this same error when he had trouble. I'm suspecting a kernel issue in my case, 2.4.20-gentoo-r1 has had numerous issues for me. I can not get nvidia drivers to work with it, even after rebuilding them, I have to use pci=noacpi to make my NIC work with it, I have neither of these problems with gentoo's 2.4.19 kernels. Also with 2.4.20, I tried to use agpgart instead of NvAGP to see if there would be any change - agpgart will not load. I've an Athlon XP on a KT400 mobo, the gfx card is a GeForce3 Ti200, the NIC (if it matters) it a realtek 8139-based generic. I'd be interested in knowing if anybody who has troubled getting X started w/ nvidia drivers can duplicate any of these other symptoms, or has any part of their configuration (besides an nvidia vid card, duh) in common with me. I think there's a bug here that takes very specific combinations of drivers and hardware to trigger :-/
spendabuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why can't I load DRI with the nvidia drivers? what does it do?

Narada wrote:
Supox wrote:
Well edweirdo, i do know one thing for sure and that is you shouldn't load dri, xtrap and record(see module section) at all when you're using the closed binary from nvidia. Try commenting those lines first and see if that solves it.

I thought it was only dri and glcore that should not be used with nvidia drivers. Why do you say xtrap and record cannot be used? What is a good source of such information?
shaniac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Cat: Reply with quote

I'm having similar problems.

Background: in the old days (yesterday) I had a KT266 mobo, TI4200 vidcard, and a generic realtek 8139 NIC. No problems whatsoever.

I installed an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, lost the realtek (because there are two NICs on the MB), and now X locks my system, hard. No Magic SysRq key. I've tried a lot of the fixes I've seen on the forums, but no luck so far. Still trying things, of course; isn't that what Gentoo is, a big epic adventure game with no payoff except the glorious boredom of a zippy system?!
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spendabuck wrote:

DRI is an interface used by a number of open-source 3D drivers. The nvidia drivers provide their own interface, so you do not need DRI to use them. To my knowledge, there are no DRI-based drivers for nvidia cards.
shaniac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheshireCat, I'm posting this from X! I built a kernel from the ac-sources, emerged nvidia-driver and nvidia-glx after booting the ac kernel, and voila! 4000+ fps in glxgears! Woo-hoo!
shaniac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheshireCat, I'm posting this from X! I built a kernel from the ac-sources, emerged nvidia-driver and nvidia-glx after booting the ac kernel, and voila! 4000+ fps in glxgears! Woo-hoo!
spendabuck
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheshireCat wrote:
spendabuck wrote:

DRI is an interface used by a number of open-source 3D drivers. The nvidia drivers provide their own interface, so you do not need DRI to use them. To my knowledge, there are no DRI-based drivers for nvidia cards.

Thanks for your reply.
squareroot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: kernel ac-sources Reply with quote

As Shaniac indicated the ac-sources work well with nvidia.
Specifically, 2.4.21-pre4-ac7 compiled with gcc 3.2.2

( I used this to get fixes in the NForce2 IDE drivers - now merged into the AMD 74xx drivers as kernel options.)

Running gentoo 1.4-rc3 bootstrapped from stage 1 in a fresh install.

No sign (yet) of the memory leak reported as a bug in the last three nvidia kernel modules.

NB: If your system is thrashing, (or compute bound in an attempt to solve storage allocation problems,) due to this bug you get serious performance problems. This may be reported as slowdowns in moving windows, or a sticky mouse pointer.
CheshireCat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the current -ac sources have any XFS support? My root is XFS, and I seem to have trouble with all of the patched kernels. I'd also miss supermount ;-)
decker in flux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has become a horrendously muddled thread -- i cant figure out whether edwierdo has solved his problem?

I have a quadro4 700xgl , w/ a Pentium4 2.4ghz coprocessor :twisted: that screams in gentoo, and runs X11 w/o a hitch, send me a PM because i am scared to post here anymore ;p

-d
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: