gvim tabs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: gvim tabs Reply with quote

Seems some people don't think minibufexpl counts as tabs for gvim. So...

Screenshot!

It only works with gvim7 (which is in package.mask), it may or may not work with non-gtk2 GUIs, it will clobber your toolbar, it's a horrid hack and it's chock full of bugs. To use, stick the following in ~/.vim/plugin/ :

tabbar.vim

I want some crazy people to test it a bit before I send it upstream, thought here would be the best place to look :twisted:
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll test it! I'm at work right now, but I'll be sure to give it a try when I get home. Tabs would be great when coding, it can sometimes be a pain to manage grips of gvim windows.

edit: I've never used anything that's hard masked before. Something tells me I'm gonna regret it :lol:

But here I go anyways.... emerging. So, vim-7 isn't required for gvim-7, just vim-core-7 is. Hmm... I'll just emerge it anyways :)
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to keep vim-6, vim-core-6, and gvim-6 on but also have version 7 of each of those? I'm gonna RTFM right now, but if somebody knows the answer I'd appreciate it, it could save me some time reading/searching.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

00420 wrote:
Is there a way to keep vim-6, vim-core-6, and gvim-6 on but also have version 7 of each of those? I'm gonna RTFM right now, but if somebody knows the answer I'd appreciate it, it could save me some time reading/searching.

Not unless you modify the eclass quite a bit to do slotting.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
00420 wrote:

Not unless you modify the eclass quite a bit to do slotting.
Okay, thanks for the reply. I'll just stick with version 7 as long as I can stand.

I'm anxious to test out the tabs, and I'll give you as much feedback as I can.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you want bug reports? I'll just post them here for now, you're probably aware of most if not all of them, but I'll post them all anyways. BTW, I'm using gvim in enlightenment DR16 if that makes a difference.

1. Selecting "Close" from the menu opens a new tab, and typing ":close" gives the error "E444: Cannot close last window". So tabs are there forever.

2. I get wierd characters displayed in the file names (usually before the filename), but not always. The first file I open does not have the wierd characters. If I continue to open files from the same directory, there are no wierd characters. But, if I open a file from a different directory I do get them. Except for files that are only one directory deep (ie /etc/profile or /proc/meminfo) -- their names display correctly no matter what.

I don't have anywhere to post a screenshot, but I'll gladly email one to you.

3. Tabs that don't fit are not displayed unless the size of the window is increased.

4. It takes several seconds before modified files are displayed as such, or saved files are not displayed as modified. If the tab is unnamed then it is never displayed as modified until it is saved, then it is displayed as modified even though it isn't.

However, switching tabs causes the display to be current (including the unnamed ones).

Great concept despite the bugs :) -- I'll let you know if I find any more.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

00420 wrote:
1. Selecting "Close" from the menu opens a new tab, and typing ":close" gives the error "E444: Cannot close last window". So tabs are there forever.

You can use :bd (buffer delete) to delete a buffer. I'm not doing anything to tinker with vim's internal buffer handling -- :close will close a window, not remove a buffer.

Quote:
2. I get wierd characters displayed in the file names (usually before the filename), but not always. The first file I open does not have the wierd characters. If I continue to open files from the same directory, there are no wierd characters. But, if I open a file from a different directory I do get them. Except for files that are only one directory deep (ie /etc/profile or /proc/meminfo) -- their names display correctly no matter what.

I don't have anywhere to post a screenshot, but I'll gladly email one to you.

It *should* show up as three dots. It's probably a font issue -- you can change them in <SID>Shorten() to check.

Quote:
3. Tabs that don't fit are not displayed unless the size of the window is increased.

Yeah, I can't fix that without patching gvim.

Quote:
4. It takes several seconds before modified files are displayed as such, or saved files are not displayed as modified. If the tab is unnamed then it is never displayed as modified until it is saved, then it is displayed as modified even though it isn't.

However, switching tabs causes the display to be current (including the unnamed ones).

AFAIK, there's no autocmd I can use to detect when &modified changes, so the best I can do is to sit and wait for a cursor idle event :x I think I might see if Bram would allow an autocmd BufModified event...
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
You can use :bd (buffer delete) to delete a buffer. I'm not doing anything to tinker with vim's internal buffer handling -- :close will close a window, not remove a buffer.
Cool! Only problem is the tab numbers don't change after closing a lower one. And opening a new one will count from wherever it last left off. Not a big deal, of course.

Quote:
It *should* show up as three dots. It's probably a font issue -- you can change them in <SID>Shorten() to check.
There seems to have been a problem downloading the tabbar.vim file. Instead of three dots I had … :lol: It's fixed now though.

Quote:
Yeah, I can't fix that without patching gvim.
I figured as much, but I figured I might as well post my observation, just in case.

Quote:
AFAIK, there's no autocmd I can use to detect when &modified changes, so the best I can do is to sit and wait for a cursor idle event :x I think I might see if Bram would allow an autocmd BufModified event...
Yeah, I figured that one was out of your control too. It would be cool if it could be fixed, but it's not a showstopper :)
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

00420 wrote:
ciaranm wrote:
Cool! Only problem is the tab numbers don't change after closing a lower one. And opening a new one will count from wherever it last left off. Not a big deal, of course.

Those aren't tab numbers, those're buffer numbers. You can do 123<C-^> to switch to buffer 123, for example.
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Those aren't tab numbers, those're buffer numbers. You can do 123<C-^> to switch to buffer 123, for example.
Oh, ok. I'm still learning vim, so thanks for the added knowledge.

Well, other than the unfixable problems, all seems well. I'll do some more testing tomorrow night.

Even with the problems, it's a really cool feature. I've got a feeling I'll be using it a lot, unless I run into major bugs with gvim-7 that make me decide to downgrade.

Thanks for the coding!
Given M. Sur
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this for the last week, and it hasn't given me any problems. Thanks again, I've always wanted tabs in gvim :D
mfinger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this still available anywhere? All the links seem dead.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: