Idea: Gnome-light -> gnome with gnome specific use-flags
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zredna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Idea: Gnome-light -> gnome with gnome specific use-flags Reply with quote

Hi!
I noticed that alot of people who installs gnome-ligt usually does it only because of a few gnome apps they do not need (in my case epiphany - that also depends on huge mozilla), so I was thinking if it would not be better to replace gnome-light with a few gnomespecific use-flags; like fx 'gnomeepiphany' or 'gnomeevolution'. Of course all of them should default to being enabled.

I already looked at little on the .ebuild-format, and as far as I could tell it should be quite possible and easy to implent by placing fx an 'gnomeepiphany? ( )' around the epiphany dependency.

I think that makes alot more sence. I do not want gnome-light plus most of the gnome-apps. I want gnome without epiphany.
Another problem is I do not want to miss any features, but at the same time I do not want to bloat my system. Right now I have installed gnome-light plus the things I need and yet when I do an 'emerge -pv gnome' some things I have no clue what is shows up. I do not want to just emerge them, because what if they are replaced in a latter version of gnome? Then I would still have them in my world-file - my world-file is for the things that I specifically want, and that is gnome without epiphany.

What does everybody else think?
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think this sounds like a bad idea. USE flags were primarily there to enable optional features, not optional programs. For me at least, I make the instant logical connection that a USE flag is roughly analogous to passing in options to ./configure. For a USE flag to actually block or enable programs themselves from being built doesn't make sense.
psyqil
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just copy it into your overlay and remove the epiphany line? Or tell the gnome devs their desktop doesn't need a browser...
Zredna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diastelo:
Yeah, but gnome is not an program and there is not any configure script; gnome is an meta-package - a bunch of dependecies - and all current use-flags that can be passed on to the gnome-ebuild only changes dependencies. Also you could say that the use-flags would be used to disable features of the gnome desktop.

I did not mean for the use-flags to block for the program, but only to change the dependencies of the gnome meta-package.

psyqil:
Sure! This was not an supportrequest. Actually 5 mins ago I just emerged gnome and decided to live with a few programs I do not use installed. But still think it would be a cool feature.
diastelo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that it should be more generic. The Gnome meta-package shouldn't have an evolution requirement. It should have a mail client requirement. Or a browser client flag. For example, the Gnome office suite is a set of individually developed programs combined loosely under a single category (Abiword, Gnumeric, etc). Gentoo chooses to install them separately, but I'm sure at least one disto will package them together.
tfh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Idea: Gnome-light -> gnome with gnome specific use-fl Reply with quote

Zredna wrote:
Hi!
I noticed that alot of people who installs gnome-ligt usually does it only because of a few gnome apps they do not need (in my case epiphany - that also depends on huge mozilla), so I was thinking if it would not be better to replace gnome-light with a few gnomespecific use-flags; like fx 'gnomeepiphany' or 'gnomeevolution'. Of course all of them should default to being enabled.

I already looked at little on the .ebuild-format, and as far as I could tell it should be quite possible and easy to implent by placing fx an 'gnomeepiphany? ( )' around the epiphany dependency.

I think that makes alot more sence. I do not want gnome-light plus most of the gnome-apps. I want gnome without epiphany.
Another problem is I do not want to miss any features, but at the same time I do not want to bloat my system. Right now I have installed gnome-light plus the things I need and yet when I do an 'emerge -pv gnome' some things I have no clue what is shows up. I do not want to just emerge them, because what if they are replaced in a latter version of gnome? Then I would still have them in my world-file - my world-file is for the things that I specifically want, and that is gnome without epiphany.

What does everybody else think?

I love the idea, i'm in the exact same position. I want gnome, but i do not want evolution and epiphany (mozilla dependency is too much) which are two "big" packages that take a long time to compile, so i'm not very happy about having them without using them.

Is there anyway to have gnome without epiphany and evolution ?

I think i'll use the portage overlay and modify my gnome so that it does not incude epiphany and evolution .

use package should translate in compilation option but I think it would be very nice to allow a little bit of "customisation" of metapackages through use flags.

The main problem is what does "a little bit" mean ? , i think evolution really has nothing to do in gnome, but epiphany is developed by gnome so where shall the limit be put ?

I'd like to have the option though.
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something to help with this using what portage gives us. Adding the -mozilla use flag, the evolution package doesn't ask for mozilla. I like evolution, but I don't want to install the mozilla suite only for this. But adding -mozilla to make.conf makes some things behave strangely with firefox. Take a look at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2446910.html#2446910 Now I can use evolution without mozilla, and still have everything working with firefox.

About epiphany... I'm still trying to figure out how to exclude it.
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what this is, but I found an use flag that makes gnome forget about epiphany: mips. Add +mips to make.conf use flags and you won't have epiphany.

BTW... WTF is mips? I never saw it before, and profuse tells me it doesn't exist. But it exists.. And it works. :)
TrueDFX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't add mips to your flags. It means that you're on a mips comuter, similarly to how x86 means you're on an x86 computer. It may add mips-specific patches to some packages and completely break your system this way (that shouldn't normally happen, but it's not impossible). The arch-specific flags are not shown in profuse/ufed/emerge -pv for a good reason. Also, once mozilla and epiphany work on mips (assuming they some day do), this "flag" will no longer cause it to be excluded from gnome.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use /etc/portage/profiles/package.provided to prevent gnome from installing mozilla or epiphany, or anything else for that matter. directions are in man portage
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: