Server patchsets?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthWoodsman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Server patchsets? Reply with quote

Are there any server patchsets out there? I found vividserv, but unfortunately it doesn't have the Reiser4 patch (yeah, yeah, I only use it on /var and /home because they have lots of small files). I was trying to avoid any patchsets that have the interactive scheduler because as this is a server, I'm going for throughput not interactivity.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a server I emphatically recommend going for hardened-sources or vanilla-sources. Use ReiserFS (3) if you feel the need to save space on file systems with lots of small files (and don't use the notail option in that case, it sacrifices space for speed, in theory - in practice there's hardly any difference, so notail isn't worth it).
Patch the vanilla kernel manually with the Namesys patches if you really, really, really can't live without Reiser4.
2.6.9 was a very good server kernel.
Other than that, you could go with the CKO patchset.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
NorthWoodsman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm using 2.6.10-nitro4 (Not the best choice but was the only one at the time with Reiser4 support)
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Server patchsets? Reply with quote

NorthWoodsman wrote:
Are there any server patchsets out there? I found vividserv, but unfortunately it doesn't have the Reiser4 patch (yeah, yeah, I only use it on /var and /home because they have lots of small files). I was trying to avoid any patchsets that have the interactive scheduler because as this is a server, I'm going for throughput not interactivity.

Hi, I'm the maintainer of vividserv....... well, its kinda not maintained because I haven't gotten around to it lately. One thing I'd like to say is, I won't include reiser4 in vividserv EVER, because its strictly not suited to server usage period. Also, vanilla is likely your best bet for server usage (+/- a patch or two).
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthWoodsman: Try ck-server. It's got all the good stuff of ck, but interactive mode in staircase is turned off.
NorthWoodsman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I'd like to say is, I won't include reiser4 in vividserv EVER, because its strictly not suited to server usage period.

Does it really matter that you wouldn't want to use it? It's a filesystem driver, you may as well add it; if people don't like it, they don't have to use it.
moocha
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthWoodsman wrote:
Quote:
One thing I'd like to say is, I won't include reiser4 in vividserv EVER, because its strictly not suited to server usage period.

Does it really matter that you wouldn't want to use it? It's a filesystem driver, you may as well add it; if people don't like it, they don't have to use it.
It's stuff like this that's the fabric for support nightmares, because if you add it people will use it even when advised against it, then when things break or work too slowly they come running back and demand support, thus either placing more load on the maintainer, or getting sent away because "we don't support that" and becoming angry.
Experimental stuff does not belong on a server. It belongs on test machines.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- attributed to Benjamin Franklin
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moocha wrote:
NorthWoodsman wrote:
Quote:

It's stuff like this that's the fabric for support nightmares, because if you add it people will use it even when advised against it, then when things break or work too slowly they come running back and demand support, thus either placing more load on the maintainer, or getting sent away because "we don't support that" and becoming angry.
Experimental stuff does not belong on a server. It belongs on test machines.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Edit: I'll prepare a new vividserv and see if I can get fallow to approve it sometime soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: