serious reiser4 problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sge_kane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: serious reiser4 problems Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I'm having reiser4 filesystem errors all over my laptop harddisk....
The error occurred after I switched the laptop off by using the power button....

Everything started by mplayer not playing on console using asciiart-lib.... well, after i was neither able to switch back to X, nor to another console, nor to kill any processes locally (did not try remotely), i switched the laptop of as stated above...
After restarting some configuration stuff of Gnome (v 2.8) was obviously garbled again, as Gnome did not come up completely... Again, the laptop wasn't reacting anymore, so I again switched of by power button (yes, I do know, that one shouldn't do so, but what other choice did i have??)

Well,
anyhow... when rebooting again, Gentoo stopped when doing "mounting local filesystems..."
When nothing did happen, I again had to reboot the ugly way... Next reboot, I got error concerning, the system not being able to write...

Code:
/var/lib/init.d/softscipts

and different other scripts...

Anyhow, I got the system to start up, after waiting for some minutes... X did not work, also due to not being able to read/write stuff in /var/lib/...

Well, anyhow... after unmounting my /home partition, i did

Code:
fsck.reiser4 --rebuild-fs /dev/hda6

(--fix did not help for the fatal error)

Some files were corrected to size 0 bytes, but I did not find any serious damage up to this point, but did not really check due to the system not running....

Right now, I'm downloading the lxnay Reiser4 LiveCD, for being able to repair the root filesystem /dev/hda5....

With

Code:
ls -R / | grep "Input/output"

I get all directories that return an "Input/output error" (e.g. the /var/lib/init.d) on a ls command. In fact, /var/lib is totally broken, and some other stuff such as some directories (about 20-30) in /usr/share (e.g. X fonts).

The point I need your advice is, how you would tackle the problem... Can I say, that everything throwing an Input/output error on ls, will be set to zero, and by that being unusable after doing a fsck.reiser4 --rebuild-fs... If so, what way would you go... With back in mind, that sytem folders, such as /var/lib/portage would be missing??

I'm very thankful for any advice....

Many thx...

sge_kane
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reiser4 screws up data and causes hard lockups is not an unknown issue, These forums are full of posts about that (i also posted many :cry: ). It is an unmature fs in linux, and, regardless that for many users it works well it does not mean that reiser4 is usable at all.

If you want an advice: erase your whole hd and install in a reiser (3.6) or ext3 partition. I usually preffer ext3, but thats your choice.

That a file system is newer does not mean that it is best. All the info saying that reiser4 is the shinny thing that it is supposed to be is just sluggish info. In some circunstances reiser4 is faster than reiser 3.6, in many others is the oppositte, in some ext3 is faster, in others is xfs, so the magical fs still is a dream.

The only true thing is that reiserfs is a cpu eater (and 4.0 even more), so i would not install it on my hardrive unless i had a smp system or something like that. Anyway is your choice, so this is linux after all. :wink:
sge_kane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for your post....

Well, probably I will not stick with Reiser4, but go back to the googd old Reiser3 or try Ext3, which I never used up to this point...
But for now, the main goal is saving as much data as possible....
I do not have the space, to save all of my stuff.... Therefore, I would like to know:

1. Will everything (directory, files) that causes an "Input/output error" to an "ls" command be lost after "fsck.reiser4 --build-fs" ?

2. Will it be of importance which ReiserProgs to use? I mean, does anyone know about some algorithmic improvements concerning data rescue?

Many thx for all your posts...

sge_kane
NorthWoodsman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...Input/output error...

I don't really think this is Reiser4's fault, it's more likely that your HD is dying. Reiser4 would be more sensitive to this however (IE other filesystems wouldn't freak out as much as Reiser4 if it couldn't read some sectors)
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthWoodsman wrote:
I don't really think this is Reiser4's fault, it's more likely that your HD is dying.

I'm not sure about that... I had a similar experience many moons ago when I first tried R4, and my hdd hasn't died yet.

sge_kane:
1) Probably not. Some of it may well be, but much of it may be recoverable.
2) Find a LiveCD with the latest ones you can - one of Ixnay's should be pretty recent.

The best way is to boot off it and try to rescue what you can; then once you've done that run fsck.reiser4 and see what else you can get out.
Crossing fingers, praying or any other superstitions you might have are probably a good idea.
sge_kane
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: Many thanx for all your replies...

Well I'm rigth now running the lxnay 2.30 livecd... pretty actual i think...

well... when running fsck.reiser4 i get the following:

Code:

lxnaycd tecnico # fsck.reiser4 --check /dev/hda5
This is an EXPERIMENTAL version of fsck.reiser4. Read README first.

Fscking the /dev/hda5 block device.
Will check the consistency of the Reiser4 SuperBlock.
Will check the consistency of the Reiser4 FileSystem.
Continue?
(Yes/No): Yes
***** fsck.reiser4 started at Mon Apr 11 23:35:50 2005
Fatal: Failed to open the reiser4 backup.
Fatal: Cannot open the FileSystem on (/dev/hda5).

1 fatal corruptions were detected in SuperBlock. Run with --build-sb option to fix them.

Well, before doing so (build-sb) , I wanted to tell you that I get this message whether or not the given FS is Reiser4 or not...
Well /dev/hda5 is my Reiser4 root device, but I created it with an older version of reiser4progs... do not know which actually, probably 1.0.0, 1.0.1 or 1.0.2...
So somehow the new reiser4progs 1.0.3 do not recognize my partitions, though mounting them is possible...
I get the same message as stated for all partitions, so even for my /dev/hda6, that I already fixed...

Should I try the --build-sb option as supposed?

Well, I know that filesystem operations are critical and will not consider any suggestions from you guys as a warranty, but as a kind advice...

Many thanx...

sge_kane
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of have the same problem - the system boots fine, but after a couple of minutes I just get loads of IO errors and stuff like that - fsck.resier4 doesnt find any errors with the partition. Fortunately I have got backups of /etc and my home dir, so I can just rebuild the system on ext3 (probably) if I cant fix it.

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
Varuna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:
I sort of have the same problem - the system boots fine, but after a couple of minutes I just get loads of IO errors and stuff like that - fsck.resier4 doesnt find any errors with the partition. Fortunately I have got backups of /etc and my home dir, so I can just rebuild the system on ext3 (probably) if I cant fix it.

I had a similar problem with Reiser4 a long time ago: I couldn't make it through basic compiles and such without segfaults and file system corruption. I eventually figured out that I had bad memory, even though memtest86 (or whatever it's called) didn't find any errors. Lengthening the memory timings solved the problem completely. If you're sure your memory is good and that the file system was created by the the latest version of mkfs.reiser4 (1.0.5 I think) and that your kernel has good Reiser4 support (the most recent patches short of the 2.6.14-rcX ones or so, since some people have reported problems with the very latest -mm patches...) the best I can think of is trying another file system and seeing if that solves the problems. I personally have had no problems whatsoever with Reiser4 in many, many months, so it does work perfectly for at least some people and so hopefully it can work for you too. :)
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do NOT use build-sb

The reiser4 superblock changed somwhere around kernel 2.6.11 / 12

Because of that, you cannot mount a reiser4 partition if it has been mounted with a > 2.6.12 kernel.

The livecd you are using is probably running one of those old kernels.

I used knoppix to fix my filesystem not to long ago.

see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2763404.html#2763404
sirdilznik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:
NorthWoodsman wrote:
I don't really think this is Reiser4's fault, it's more likely that your HD is dying.

I'm not sure about that... I had a similar experience many moons ago when I first tried R4, and my hdd hasn't died yet.

It could still be a dying hard drive. I had a similar problem on my last system (Athlon Xp 2600+ running reiser3.6) and got a bad superblock error. I was able to fix it with fsck and the drive ran fine for almost half a year, then I got another corruption which I was unable to recover from and the drive finally died (I couldn't even reformat it and start over). Getting bad blocks on a hard drive is sort of like losing a gear in a transmission. You may be able to work around it at first but the rest of the gears are going to go sooner or later, how much later... could be an hour, a day, a week, months... For your sake I hope it is not a hardware issue though.
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar issues, it was due to a combination of switching between different reiser4 versions and kernel patches. fsck.reiser4 on a newer kernel/livecd fixed the issues.

RIP LiveCD is great, give that a try. 27mb, just the bare essentials :D
Access the livecd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: