Spontaneous Disk Unmount
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dank_waldmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Spontaneous Disk Unmount Reply with quote

I'm having a slightly perplexing problem. I've been a gentoo user for a while but I'm in no way an expert so I thought I'd see what the experts here think.

I'm on an AMD64 machine running e17 enlightenment. Everything works fine but recently I've noticed something odd. I run Klamav and Clamav because I dual boot with windows and I need to make sure anything I transfer over is clean. I'm on 0.40 of Klamav and 0.88 of Clamav I believe. I mention this because both times this has happened has been when I've been using Klamav, but I actually think it might be a different problem.

Here's the problem. I have usr/local on its own partition, /dev/sda2 and in there I have the virus definitions for Klamav, as well as my testing apache2 server, my firewall settings, some emulation like WINE along with all the regular things you put in usr/local.

Anyways, this partition spontaneously unmounts.

Both times I've noticed it happen now has been right after I've been using this version of Klamav as root. This version of Klamav so the update doesn't work, but that doesn't reproduce the error. Instead if I run Klamav from a root terminal and then close it. I get these errors:
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 10520, errno = 0
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 10516, errno = 0

I see these occasionally ever since I first started to use enlightenment a few years ago so I didn't think anything of it until recently when I saw this disk unmount issue. I couldn't reproduce it with an earlier version of Klamav, but like I said, I'm not sure if thats the issue.

I did reproduce it doing this. Using KDiskFree as root I check to see that the partition is mounted. Then I open klamav as root, try to update and then close that. After a short wait, in the terminal I get the ICE default errors and then I reopen KDF as root and the disk is now unmounted. It remounts fine and everything works like normal.

I'm just concerned this might be something more serious that just a simple ICE error so I thought I'd post it and see.

I didn't have time to search to see if it had already been discussed so if there is another thread, please just link me to it.

Thanks any help is appreciated.

D.A.N.

Owner/Editor - Sights & Sounds from the Fifth Column
The Fifth Column Online Magazine - www.fifthcolumnmagazine.com

A division of Fifth Column Media -- Freelance Graphic/Web/Multimedia Design
www.fifthcolumnmedia.com
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the partition is bad - either in filesystem consistency or has bad blocks. If the linux kernel encounters a problem it can't handle it can umount it, or remount it read-only (I forget which, hasn't happened to me for a while). dmesg ought to report if this happens. Umount it and run fsck, then again looking for bad blocks. If still a problem consider moving the data, or changing the fs type from ext3 to reiserfs (or vice-versa) (requires backup to temporarily store data).
pteppic
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some spontanious unmounting on my amd64, you sound like you are using KDE too.
For me it was a dbus issue, which was solved with the recent v1.* upgrades.

It's probably not the same problem, but I'd feel bad if I didn't tell you and it turned out that it is.
dank_waldmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the partition is bad, because there is a disk check run on boot and it always comes back saying that the file system is clean. I guess it could be missing it though. How would I determine if that was the case? Doesn't a disk check at boot use fsck, so if fsck is missing it, what else could I check it with? It is a reiser partition as thats what I use for everything. Would unmounting and running fsck directly be any different than the check at boot? I have enough space on my storage drive to back it up and reformat if you think that might clear up some issues.

I'm actually not using KDE entirely, I use enlightenment (e17 the testing version) and then run a variety (mostly KDE) programs on top of it. Still, those ICE defaults errors tend to show up when using KDE programs, so pteppic, you might be on to something. How did you fix the issue with dbus? I see those ICE errors a lot running enlighentment with KDE programs. Can someone explain to me whats actually going on there and maybe if there is a way to resolve those? Usually they don't effect anything but if I can resolve them, than all the better.

I recently updated the entire system so I guess it could be a problem with one of the newer versions I upgraded to. I am in the testing branch for amd64 a bit because the software I need tends to dictate it. This error seems pretty harmless. Could it be something serious?

I thought maybe that the disk was starting to fail at first, but the entire linux system is on that hard drive (/, usr/local, and swap are the three partitions) and I haven't seen any problems with swap or /. Plus that disk is under a year old and the temperatures all look well within reason. I would think I'd see more problems if it was hardware related.

It just seems so random.

Thanks so far, I really appreciate the help.

D.A.N.

www.fifthcolumnmedia.com
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full filesystem check isn't always necessary at boot, even when it was unmounted uncleanly. Perform a check manually.
Code:
umount /dev/sda2
fsck.reiserfs /dev/sda2
dank_waldmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll give it a try. Sounds like a good idea anyways even if it doesn't fix this. I'll let you know what what comes up.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

D.A.N.

www.fifthcolumnmedia.com
dank_waldmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just ran the check, Comes back and says no corruptions found, so thats good.

It seems like such an odd set of circumstances to make it happen, I guess as long as we're sure its not something really serious like a possible security breach, bad hardware, or some kind of system instability and corruption, I might just leave it.

What do you all think?

Thanks again.

D.A.N.

www.fifthcolumnmedia.com
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create another partition of the same size, but make it ext3. Then copy the files on /dev/sda2 over and use the new partition, see what happens.
dank_waldmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you thinking the problem is whig?

I'd rather know what going on before repartitioning anything, as I cannot afford to corrupt or over write anything on this computer by mistake should something go horribly wrong. If its something serious I'll make backups first, but thats a hefty undertaking as it'll be a lot of disks so if its not serious, I deal with it for now.

I've never seen it unmount on its own accept for the original situation I described.

Thanks for the help.

D.A.N.

www.fifthcolumnmedia.com
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating a new partition will not corrupt any existing data, if it is an addition like /dev/sda10 say. If your hard disks are full of partitions then it is another story.

I don't know why /dev/sda2 is unmounting by itself. The above may help find out why, or fix it (or both or none).
dank_waldmb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the thing, is these disks are full of partitions.

Hmm I'm gonna keep an eye on it, maybe I can pinpoint with more accuracy when I can reproduce the error. Thanks anyways everyone though. I appreciate the thoughs and the help.

D.A.N.

www.fifthcolumnmedia.com
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just two more things you can ponder. The first is whether the partition is near full. Creation of temporary files pushing it to near 100% could well cause problems. The second is to select a partition with lots of free space, and copy /usr/local over to it. Then eg if it is /home
Code:
umount /usr/local
rmdir /usr/local
ln -s /home/local /usr/local
... and comment out /usr/local in /etc/fstab. This will avoid the need for /dev/sda2 - if that is the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: