View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
growse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Finally configured x, couple of easy q's Reply with quote

I emerged x, gnome and enlightenment and then configured x. FIrstly, it doesn't have my gfx card (radeon 8500) in the card database. for the moment I used the first ati driver as that sort of works for the moment. Is it possible to get proper drivers for my gfx?

Secondly, when x starts, all there is are 2 bash windows and nothing else. I take it enlightentment/gnome hasn't kicked in.

Basically, I have a vague clue about what I'm doing but would like a little pointer in the right direction...... :)

Thanks
drakonite
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the desktop configuration guide for more info about setting up your desktop...

For the gfx card issue I don't know...

For the problem with the window manager... What you see is twm (refered to as a very ugly window manager in the desktop guide.. ;)) it should actually start up a clock and three terminals (bash shells)

In other to use the window manager of your choice you need to edit /etc/rc.conf.
At the very bottom of that file you should see a line that looks somewhat like the following:
Code:
XSESSION=enlightenment
although it won't say enlightenment. Change the value it sets XSESSION to to what ever window manager you want to use. I would recommend giving Enlightenment a shot since you have it emerged. Gnome apps will run just fine (great even :)) in E as long as you have the libs for gnome installed (which you obviously do if you emerged gnome..)

The other way is to create an ~/.xinitrc file and set it up with what you want to run... The XSESSION is quite a bit nicer though (and will set the default wm for all users)

My GPG/PGP Public key
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: