Internet connection BARELY working.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiritmage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Internet connection BARELY working. Reply with quote

Internet on my gentoo computer is for the most part dead. The odd thing is that I can connect to Skype but programs like gaim and even firefox and thunderbird simply won't work. Gaim will sit there for a long time saying "connecting", but never will. I find this extremely odd. The computer that I am on now is connected to the same network but works fine. I even ran a bandwidth test just to make sure the internet was running well (it is.) my network consists of (computers ---> hub, hub ---> router, router ---> cable modem, cable modem ---> internet). The linux box can communicate with everything on the network just fine. It will only connect to one internet program that I know of though, and that is skype. I tried
Code:
ping -c 3 www.yahoo.com
but it didn't work. The terminal would just sit there waiting, I always ended up having to ctrl-c the ping. Any comments are welcome! thanks!!

P.S. it is worthy to note that it was working just fine... but then poof all of a sudden went from great to pretty much nothing. It seems my DHCP IP address changed around the time that it went down. Could this be the cause?
greasy_grasshopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you compiling something while you're trying to use firefox? I've seen that it sometimes it doesn't respond while compiling.

If that's not the case, try setting a static IP address for each machine in your network (if you think that the change of IP address has caused this).

Last edited by greasy_grasshopper on Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Spiritmage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not compiling anything, and as for IP, i'm talking about the weird like DNS IP 24.blah.blah.blah not network ip like 192.168.1.xxx. It's really weird and I don't know how to fix it.
greasy_grasshopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I understand this correctly:

First of all your Internet connection used to work (that's probably how you installed Gentoo in the first place) and then suddenly it stopped. Theoretically something has happened. Now we have to see what the source has been. You are suspicous of the ISP, but you say that other computers are still using the internet using the same gateway. So we have to immediately eliminate that possibility. The problem has to be internal. Here are the possibilities that I could think of:

1. You installed a program that caused this. (If this is the case, then try re-emerging those programs that don't work with all their dependencies.

2. You changed your network configuration. (Try redoing all the steps you took to get your Internet connection working in the first place, assume that you still don't have it)

3. Check all the connections between the router to your computer and make sure that they're fastened properly.

4. Your saying that Skype works but Gaim and Firefox and ping don't. Can you ping the other computers on your network? Can they ping yours? Trying using ping as a root.

5. The last possibility that I can think of is that you have granted permission to Skype to access the Internet but not to others. I don't know how this might be possible but since you say that you did nothing, I don't think this might be it.

I'm sorry, but I did some brainstorming on the possibilities and I hope it helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: