Installing a server. USE flags ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syntech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Installing a server. USE flags ? Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm about to install a server and I'm curious which USE flags to use.

The box is a PentiumII-450Mhz with 512Mb of RAM. I know I probably should go for the stage3, but I have the time and the box isn't
going anywhere :)

Here's my make.conf

CFLAGS="-march=pentium2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
USE="-X apache2 php mod_php hardened hardenedphp mysql mysqli perl samba ssl zlib bzlib snmp bash-completion x86"

The box will primarely be a web/file server behind a firewall/router for personal use. Are there any other USE flags that I should
insert/remove from the make.conf file (for security or other reasons, "pam, sasl, fam ...") ?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it will poll my mails from a POP3 account too.

Do I need to specify "-gnome -kde -qt -gtk -gtk2 ...." or will they not be used by default ?

I'm aiming for a stable build since it will act as a server. Do the CFLAGS look ok ? Should I add -mmmx to it and mmx in the USE
variable ?

How about "nptl", add or leave it ? Do I need both "mysql" and "mysqli" or can I just have the later one for mysql support?

Any comments/thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Anders Kallander
benow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stage 2 is fine, you'll end up with a speedy box. CFLAGS look ok. You may want to include "-gnome -kde -qt -gtk -gtk2" in your global useflags if you don't want to install X (ie not going to tunnel thru ssh or run vnc). Most server packages don't use these flags, but some may. I'm not sure about nptl, but mysql use flag should be in make.conf if you are going to use mysql db backend as a general rule.

I'd not be too worried about nailing USE flags right away... do it as you go. You seem to have a good starting set. When emerging new packages, do a
Code:
emerge -av <packages...>

which will show use flags and dependencies and prompt for continuation. Add any global use flags (ie you'd like that setting across all packages) to /etc/make.conf and per-package USE flags (ie flags you want associated with a single package) to /etc/portage/package.use, ie
Code:
mail-filter/maildrop -gdbm
mail-mta/postfix -pam

It's easy enough to change the use flags and re-emerge. Hope this helps.
bet1m
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

USE=""

acuix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Post your USE-Flags Reply with quote

These use flags i defined for a very small customer. They are in production on a small server used as samba pdc, imap, smtp, nntp, apache, mysql,postgres, etc. Works quite well.

Code:

USE="X aalib acpi apache2 apm avi berkdb bzlib crypt cups curl dba dvd encode flash ftp gd gdbm ggi gif gmp iconv imagemagick imap imlib jpeg ldap libg++ libwww maildir mbox memlimit mhash mmap mmx mpeg mpi mysql ncurses nis nls pam pcre pdflib perl php png posix postgres python qdbm readline recode samba sasl session shared slp -snmp sockets spell spl ssl svga sysvipc tiff truetype unicode xml xml2 zlib"

Or for a gateway machine (router,proxy,dmz)

Code:

USE="-X mmx sse aalib ncurses readline svga encode snmp xml xml2 perl python php gdbm gpm memlimit unicode hardened -ipv6 sasl pam ssl crypt -socks5 pthreads"

Look here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=2332538#2332538

I'm curious what others may contribute to this thread.

Acuix
starrbuck
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a hobbyist server on a dual Pentium III 600 system here, which primarily uses Apache2, MySQL, and PHP. I did a Stage 1 install and the system is pretty perky. I do like to play around on the desktop from time to time, and I prefer Gnome over KDE. I also burn CDs and DVDs on it.

Here is my /etc/make.conf:

CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -pipe -O3"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
USE="gtk gnome hal howl -qt -kde -arts dvd dvdr cdr apache2 berkdb dba exif ftp gdbm innodb java mozilla mysql pam perl php ssl xml xml2"
xbmodder
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"-gnome -kde -qt -gtk -gtk2 msn oscar yahoo distcc mysql apache2 php gd -X offensive imap sasl ssl"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: