Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ripping Robbie Williams' "Escapology"...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ypsilon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Ripping Robbie Williams' "Escapology"... Reply with quote

Hi guys,
has anyone ever ripped the album "Escapology" by Robbie Williams?

When I do so, I always get horrible "skips" in the wave, as if I had eaten lunch on the CD before I put it into the CD player for ripping.
But the CD ist absolutely clean.

So these "skips" definitely come from the copy-protection of the CD.
I was surprised that cdparanoia couldn't fix that, as I never had problems ripping any copy-protected CD before (except "Bravo Hits", which has the same copy-protection and is only available in germany I think)...

I ripped the CD with
cdparanoia -Bs ,
I also tried disabling paranoia and some other options, but always without any effect.

Has anyone of you an idea what I could do to ripp this great album without these skips?

Ypsilon

[/list]
int1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the copy protection where you can just use a permanent marker (like a Sharpie) to cover a portion of the CD, is it?

From http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=25345:
Quote:
Cracking Audio CD copy protection ... With a 99-Cent Magic Marker
Consumer advocacy groups recently went into Defcon 5 mode when major recording labels admitted that they're shipping select new audio CDs in a new copy-protected format that prevents PC and Macintosh owners from playing or ripping songs. But it turns out that you can sidestep the copy-protection scheme using nothing more than a 99-cent felt-tipped magic marker: Simply color in the outer edge of the disk and you're good to go; the disk will copy and play just fine. Heads up to Sony, Universal Music, and any other companies that are experimenting with this bogus technological attempt at bypassing our legal rights: We're on to you, and we're not amused.
Elm0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"Escapology" by Robbie Williams: Reported corrupt in Australia, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, France, Portugal, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, and in some shops in the UK. This is an EMI release. The labelling on this one is very poor -- the warning text is written in an non-contrasting colour, and it is near impossible to read. It appears that CDs ordered through CD-WOW and Play247 are corrupt; 101CD.com actually carries a warning for this CD, unlike the others. Problems are reported with PCs, MiniDisc players, and several models of car CD player. The Windows player uses ultra-lo-fi 47kbps compressed audio. In the Netherlands, both corrupt and uncorrupt copies are on sale (the uncorrupt version does not have the warning). Most copies bought in UK high-street shops have been reported to be clean; however corrupt import discs have been seen for sale in Music Zone, the Co-op and Makro in the UK. Please let us know if you have seen the corrupt version being sold anywhere else in the UK.

Lifted off this site: http://ukcdr.org/issues/cd/bad/

=( Might be worth trying to get at that 47kbps files, but they will sound little better than AM radio. Not much you can do really, unless you have some really good quality hi-fi equipment to do an digital (CD) -> analog (output on CD player) -> digital rip (PC). However, a lot of this quality equipment won't work with copy protected CDs either, because they use components similar (or even higher quality) than those in PC CD-ROMS.

My suggestion would be to boycott companies who put out these CDs, or write to them and complain.
Ellidi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This copy protection is for your own good..
Why would you want to listen to Robbie Williams anyway ? :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: