View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Speedtouch 330 installation guide. Reply with quote

Hi,

I found out this method does not work for a Speedtouch 330 modem (a newer model, it's red). The reason is that support for the 330 requires newer drivers, the 1.2 beta1 driver.
The driver being used on the install CD is 1.1, one without proper support for the 330.

NOTE: This doesn't work without fine-tuning. I'm so late to add that, I thought I did it before already.

That means you have to download and compile it. First, download (on another PC or on your current OS) the beta (not the normal ones! the support for 330 was added in 1.2 beta 1) drivers from http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net/index.php?/download.en.html . Put these on a floppy disk (together with mgmt.o, you need that too.), or somewhere else where you can access them.
Make sure to set a root password using passwd before entering chroot! And remember it too.
Now ignore the parts of the install related to networking, and follow the normal install to step 9, but don't emerge sync. Since you do not have the mount command after you enter the chroot later, mount the usbdev fs on the chroot now:
Code:
mount -t usbdevfs usbdevfs /mnt/gentoo/proc/bus/usb (change if you mounted gentoo somewhere else)
Now you mount the floppy/harddisk and copy the beta drivers and mgmt.o somewhere (I suggest the drivers to /root and mgmt.o to /lib, altough it just are my settings).
Unpack the drivers using
Code:
tar -xzf speed[tab]
. Now "cd speed[tab]" Now do:
Code:
./configure
make
make install

Now initialize the modem:
Code:
modem_run -f /path/to/mgmt.o

Now: (note these slightly modified instructions comes from the topic starter, I changed them a little)
Open another console (alt+f2) and log in as root using the password you set earlier. These steps must be done under the normal CD-root, not the new gentoo installation. Execute
Code:
modprobe ppp_generic
modprobe ppp_async
modprobe n_hdlc (a line will be output, it's normal)
modprobe ppp_synctty
Edit /etc/ppp/peers/adsl.sample and put your connection ID (username@provider) at the indicated place, and change the pty line to pty "/mnt/gentoo/usr/local/sbin/pppoa3 -c -e 1 -m 1 -vpi 8 -vci 48" (change the vci and vpi values! these are for the netherlands. Make sure you have the /mnt/gentoo before it too! if you mounted your root elsewhere change it. You want to use your freshly compiled binaries, not the provided ones, because those don't support the -e 1 setting) and save the file under the name "/etc/ppp/peers/adsl"
Edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and put this line in : 'your_connection_ID' * 'your_connection_pass' *
Edit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and put the exact same line as above
Edit /etc/resolv.conf and put in your adresses and cp it to /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf becuase otherwise you won't be able to emerge sync later.

You should be able to "pppd call adsl" now, and do an emerge sync (on your chroot console, Alt+F1 of course) and continue installation! If not, please tell me any error messages or problems you stumped on (I know my instructions aren't very clear), I will do my best to solve them and help.

Also when compiling your kernel later, make sure you enable non-standard serial port support, and check the entry HDLC line disipline (I don't know the exact spelling, sorry) to module in there. Otherwise your modem will not work after you booted the new kernel. Note that you will have to re-setup after, read the normal howto included in the drivers package for how to do that!

EDIT: One note about the beta drivers I forgot: When I shutdown my system I get a oops in modem_run, the microcode uploader. The system shuts down properly though, so i'm not posting any details.
ALSO I recommend not to surf the web during that (lynx on another console), because I got lots of errors when doing that. Including the segmentation fault. If I don't surf everything goes allright though, and I compiled all from bootstrap to kde without any problems, so I doubt it's my hardware. I think it's something software-related.[/b]

Last edited by Me on Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
pokey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm that this works with the black model speedtouch?
pokey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I followed the directions and after typing "/etc/init.d/speedtouch start" I get a message saying the modem started (the lights on the modem also blink) and that the PPP daemon is trying to start. After a few seconds, however, I receive the error: the PPP daemon failed. Any ideas?
davibe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: PPP PROBLEM Reply with quote

I configured as you explained..
when i start "/etc/init.d/speedtouch start"
the modem aligns correctly
but after about a minute waiting for ppp starting.. i see
"failed to start pppd"

what can i check ?

I have an alcatel 330 also... I think that there are no problems 'cause my moedm works correctly .. the oly proble seems to be the pppd
davibe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

now i wanted to try with the 1.2beta1 speedtouch .. i unmerged the old and compiled the new.. but now there is not modem_run :°°°
it drives me crazy ..
tell me exactly what i've to do!
Me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to untar it first, then make then make install. The binaries will be placed in /usr/local/sbin, gentoo places them in /usr/sbin in its ebuild. That's why you have to change the path in the /etc/ppp/peers/adsl file.
I think your problem is that you forget to change the VPI and VCI values. Those need to match those of your country. There is a list on the web somewhere

If you would post your country I could help you with the VCI/VPI. Also, it was written from memory, it may have a few errors. I am going to check if this is right later today.
Heli0s
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions about this post.

- edit /etc/conf.d/speedtouch and change the path for the mgmt.o file (/home/mgmt.o) and don't forget to uncomment this line

What do you mean here by "Uncomment this line" ?

- edit /etc/ppp/peers/adsl.sample and put your connection ID (fti/*****@fti) at the indicated place and save the file under "adsl"

What do you mean here by connection ID? So it would be connectionID/password@isp?

- edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and put this line in : 'your_connection_ID' * 'your_connection_pass' *

Where? They have like six columns in my pap-secrets

Any help is much appreciated!
Me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heli0s wrote:
- edit /etc/conf.d/speedtouch and change the path for the mgmt.o file (/home/mgmt.o) and don't forget to uncomment this line

What do you mean here by "Uncomment this line" ?
Removing the # in front of it will uncomment it.
Heli0s wrote:
- edit /etc/ppp/peers/adsl.sample and put your connection ID (fti/*****@fti) at the indicated place and save the file under "adsl" What do you mean here by connection ID? So it would be connectionID/password@isp?
Your username, and the @blabla after it. The ****** was done by the one who originally posted it, which probably were numbers.
Heli0s wrote:
- edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and put this line in : 'your_connection_ID' * 'your_connection_pass' *

Where? They have like six columns in my pap-secrets
This is what it is supposed to be. Mine works properly.
Mine looks like:
'test@adsl' * 'password' *
Of course you shouldn't use mine, as this combo was faked.

I still haven't gotten around to testing my explaination. I'm quite busy.
ivancan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: USB Support as module Reply with quote

USB Support as Modules,
We have figured out, that this is the MAIN Problem !!!
So if you want to use this modem, compile USB-Support as a Module.

thanks to mslay
Me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the topic is up anyway: my way doesn't work. I did get it working before though.

I think I copied pppd and the config files and more stuff to my new install. All I know is that it wa a messy install, which took me 2 hours before the emerge sync. I'm looking into getting/making (more like editing) a 1.4 rc4 CD with the beta drivers, but I don't have the required tools.
blackbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eci hi-focus modem, it's working to?
Me
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that uses different drivers. You might want to try my way (a little bit above), but that doesn't work as it's written (That's what happens if you post it a week too late :D).

And just for the speedtouchers in here: an ebuild for the 1.2_beta1 is there since a few days.
hulmeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Starting Speedtouch ADSL Modem... Reply with quote

Ive installed the speedtouch package, everything went OK, but Ive got this problem: When I run /etc/init.d/speedtouch start , it hangs indefinitely. modem_run has started OK, but it wont go onto the pppd configuration section of the script.
Like so:

/etc/init.d/speedtouch
Starting Speedtouch ADSL Modem...
<HANGS FOREVER>

I can get it to run by entering pppd call adsl manually, but am unable to add 'speedtouch' to the default run level.
The problem might be in the check_modem_run() part of the speedtouch script somewhere here:

check_modem_run() {
[ "${MICROCODE:-set}" = set ] && ( eend 1 "Please define \$MICROCODE in /etc/conf.d/speedtouch" ; exit 1 )
[ -f ${MICROCODE} ] ; eend $? "Failed to find the microcode." || exit 1
[ -x ${MODEM_RUN} ] ; eend $? "Failed to find the 'modem_run' executable." || exit 1

# usbdevfs is up ?
( ${MOUNT} | grep -q usbdevfs ) || $MOUNT none /proc/bus/usb -t usbdevfs > /dev/null 2>&1

sleep 1

## Let's check if modem_run is UP. If not let's try lauching it (again)?
( ps -e | grep -q modem_run ) || $MODEM_RUN -v $VERBOSE -m -f $MICROCODE
RETURNED=$?

sleep 1
if [ $RETURNED -ne 0 ]; then # modem_run CAN'T run
eerror "Can't load the microcode !!"
eerror "Please detach and attach again your modem to the USB port to unload the microcode."
eerror "Then run '/etc/init.d/speedtouch start'"
return 1
fi
}

Or maybe in the depend() section:

depend() {
need localmount modules
}

Any ideas?
Baz
HMF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is kinda diferent....

It starts well USB Modem, it just can't bring up ppp.

I've tried to manually make pppd call adsl and nothing happens.

When i make ifconfig -a i can see a tap0 device, with no ip assigned...

Any more ideas?
witte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those darned usb dsl modems from alcatel. You have no idea how relieved I am to be able to post this from my linux box :)
Multi thumbs up !
kpoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I am having problems too with the pppd launching ... it fails here ... I'd like to know if people who had this kind of troubles could make it to work using usb as module ??

thanx :D
HMF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello... Now i could make sucessfuly pppd call adsl. However, the device tap0 do not bring up ( but i can bring it up sucessfuly with ifconfig tap0 up) and no IP is assigned by ISP. Any ideas?
dhboyd26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Dumb question... where is mgmt.o? Reply with quote

Try as I might, I just can't finf the mgmt.o module for the SpeedTouch.

All I find on the Thompson/Alcatel/SpeedTouch site is a zip file with two files in it... *.eni

I've got to be missing something...
Keyed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time that I have had pppd hang, or not complete was when I did not have the correct options chosen in the kernel or did not modprobe the needed modules.

If you have the Windoze drivers for the usb modem, you can use that also (alcaudsl.sys). Just substitute that name for mgmt.o after you place it on your linux partition.

Quote:
Try as I might, I just can't finf the mgmt.o module for the SpeedTouch.

All I find on the Thompson/Alcatel/SpeedTouch site is a zip file with two files in it... *.eni

I've got to be missing something...

I checked their sight, and sure enough, the supposed drivers are *.eni? 8O 8O Their older kernel patch still references mgmt.o, but it also references using the windoze alcaudsl.sys file.
Windows is not a virus: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.
HMF
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i have all modules needeed loaded on the kernel, but an u please post your lsmod list, so i can see if someone's missing?

EDIT

PPPD starts fine, however tap0 is still down, and when i ifconfig tap0 up, it can't get an ip from ISP
Cagnulein
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i'm a newbie of gentoo's world. I try to install it yesteray night but i fall in a problem right now.

I have a alcatel speedtouch (red), and i can't works correctly :(

I follow the HOWTO explain in the 1st page but the pppd failed :(

I see that some people have the same problem that i have but i can't find the answer :(

The modem alligns correctly. Anybody helps me?

THX in advance
Cagnulein
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is the log:

Code:
Sep 22 10:45:15 [kernel] CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
Sep 22 10:45:15 [kernel] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Sep 22 10:45:27 [kernel] HDLC line discipline: version $Revision: 3.3 $, maxframe=4096
Sep 22 10:47:01 [modem_run] modem_run version 1.1 started by root uid 0
Sep 22 10:47:03 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:03 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:17 [modem_run] ADSL synchronization has been obtained
Sep 22 10:47:17 [modem_run] ADSL line is up (832 kbit/s down | 192 kbit/s up)
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppd] pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppd] Using interface ppp0
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppd] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppoa3] PPPoA3 version 1.1 started by root (uid 0)
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppoa3] Control thread ready
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppoa3] ppp(d) --> pppoa3 --> modem  stream ready
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppoa3] modem  --> pppoa3 --> ppp(d) stream ready
Sep 22 10:47:19 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already up
Sep 22 10:47:21 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:21 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:24 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:24 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:27 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:27 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:30 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:30 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:33 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:33 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:36 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:36 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:39 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:42 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:45 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:45 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:48 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:48 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppd] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppd] Connection terminated.
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] Error reading from pppd
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] Woken by a sem_post event -> Exiting
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] Read from ppp Canceled
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] Write to ppp Canceled
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] Exiting
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppd] Using interface ppp0
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppd] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] PPPoA3 version 1.1 started by root (uid 0)
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] Control thread ready
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] ppp(d) --> pppoa3 --> modem  stream ready
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] modem  --> pppoa3 --> ppp(d) stream ready
Sep 22 10:47:50 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already up
Sep 22 10:47:50 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already down
Sep 22 10:47:52 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:52 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:55 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:55 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:58 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:58 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:01 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:01 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:04 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:04 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:07 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:07 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:10 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:10 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:13 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:13 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:16 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:16 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:19 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:19 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppd] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppd] Connection terminated.
Sep 22 10:48:21 [rc-scripts] Failed to start the PPP daemon
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Error reading from pppd
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Woken by a sem_post event -> Exiting
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Read from ppp Canceled
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Write to ppp Canceled
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Exiting
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppd] Using interface ppp0
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppd] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] PPPoA3 version 1.1 started by root (uid 0)
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Control thread ready
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] ppp(d) --> pppoa3 --> modem  stream ready
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] modem  --> pppoa3 --> ppp(d) stream ready
Sep 22 10:48:21 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already down
Sep 22 10:48:21 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already up
Sep 22 10:48:23 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:23 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:26 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:29 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:32 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:35 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:35 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:38 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:38 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:41 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:41 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:44 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:44 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:47 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:47 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:50 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:50 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppd] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppd] Connection terminated.
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] Error reading from pppd
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] Woken by a sem_post event -> Exiting
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] Read from ppp Canceled
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] Write to ppp Canceled
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] Exiting
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppd] Using interface ppp0
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppd] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] PPPoA3 version 1.1 started by root (uid 0)
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] Control thread ready
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] ppp(d) --> pppoa3 --> modem  stream ready
Sep 22 10:48:52 [pppoa3] modem  --> pppoa3 --> ppp(d) stream ready
Sep 22 10:48:52 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already down
Sep 22 10:48:52 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already up
Keyed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMF wrote:
I think i have all modules needeed loaded on the kernel, but an u please post your lsmod list, so i can see if someone's missing?

EDIT

PPPD starts fine, however tap0 is still down, and when i ifconfig tap0 up, it can't get an ip from ISP

Your modem may be different than mine, mine uses ppp0 for the connection not tap0. What do your log files list?

Cagnulein wrote:

--snip--

Sep 22 10:45:15 [kernel] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
Sep 22 10:45:27 [kernel] HDLC line discipline: version $Revision: 3.3 $, maxframe=4096
Sep 22 10:47:01 [modem_run] modem_run version 1.1 started by root uid 0
Sep 22 10:47:03 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:03 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
Sep 22 10:47:17 [modem_run] ADSL synchronization has been obtained
Sep 22 10:47:17 [modem_run] ADSL line is up (832 kbit/s down | 192 kbit/s up)
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppd] pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppd] Using interface ppp0
Sep 22 10:47:19 [pppd] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0

--snip--

What do you get by:
Code:
ifconfig ppp0

instead of:
Code:
ifconfig tap0

Windows is not a virus: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.
Keyed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagnulein wrote:
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppd] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] PPPoA3 version 1.1 started by root (uid 0)
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] Control thread ready
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] ppp(d) --> pppoa3 --> modem stream ready
Sep 22 10:47:50 [pppoa3] modem --> pppoa3 --> ppp(d) stream ready
Sep 22 10:47:50 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already up
Sep 22 10:47:50 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] assuming ppp0 is already down
Sep 22 10:47:52 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:47:52 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110

--snip--

Sep 22 10:48:19 [kernel] usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
Sep 22 10:48:19 [kernel] usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 3 ep 0x7 len 53 ret -110
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppd] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppd] Connection terminated.
Sep 22 10:48:21 [rc-scripts] Failed to start the PPP daemon
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Error reading from pppd
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Woken by a sem_post event -> Exiting
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Read from ppp Canceled
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Write to ppp Canceled
Sep 22 10:48:21 [pppoa3] Exiting

What is the contents of your /etc/hotplug/net.agent? This looks a little fishy with hotplugging assuming ppp0 already up and then assuming ppp0 already down. Did you unplug and plug the modem in during this time?
Cagnulein
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is the contents of your /etc/hotplug/net.agent? This looks a little fishy with hotplugging assuming ppp0 already up and then assuming ppp0 already down. Did you unplug and plug the modem in during this time?

No, i let the modem plugged for all the time :(

Quote:
ifconfig ppp0

i'll try this night, anyway i see in this forum that other people can connect to internet using tap0 with my modem :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: