Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arjay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaneurabeya wrote:
Well, after the initial issues, finding out which way works for you is much easier. There isn't really a unified solution for everything I've learned, so you have to take everything in stride.

However, I don't like stage 3 with a passion because of the issues I've seen, so yeah... try stage 2. I worked with stage 2 quite a bit before doing stage 1 installs only and didn't really have any problems. The further from binary compiled code, the less likely you are going to have compilation errors methinks :?...

This discussion has been very informative. Thank-you! I now have at least some ammunition to fight off this all too common error. I have been forced to reinstall Gentoo (and VLOS) so many times I considered writing a script for fdisk. I would most often lose it when trying to emerge either Gnome or KDE, and while "fix_libtool_files.sh x.x.x" was part of my vocabulary, I was missing the bigger picture, and pronouncing it all wrong, until now.

After having successfully emerged kde-base startkde and kicker, not without liberal application of the "fix", I am now emerging a minimal few kpackages. While the verdict is certainly still out until this emerge has finished and I have successfully dealt with any etc-update issues, I think the prognosis is good. All of my previous attempts were using a Stage 3 cuz' I thought it would be the "quickest/easiest way of...." per the manual. When doing my research I would see some comments like "I never was able to do a Stage 3 install, but was able to do a Stage 1 or 2 with very little problem". Your thread brought that to life....so I went to the jackass!

Even though I chose the jackass tool, and btw at least in the konsol, it's noticeably very quick, I still had some of the glibc issues. I know that the jackass is on the gcc edge so to speak, and I am hoping that I didn't screw that up by finally having to emerge glibc finished off with a final "fix" of the libtool_files before I was able to emerge startkde, but I mention this because I think the jackass is a viable alternative for those machines that it supports, but at least in my experience, does not eliminate the glibc problems.

FWIW...and thanks for the helpful info

arjay
testusr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alebo wrote:
I did a stage 3 install as it is discribed in the manual. I did not update anything and tried to emerge flac.

I did exactly the same on my laptop today

fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3.5 --oldarch i386-pc-linux-gnu

worked fine for me.
arcanus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if the thread is still active, but i have a stage 3 (2005.1) install and had a problem with the fix_libtool_files.sh script. Then i emerged binutils-2.16.92.03 (masked by ~x86 i think) and reran the script, it found the same errors, but after updating binutils it fixed it, and the problem emerging dissapered. Hopefully it may help others aswell.
n0n
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran into the same problem and fix_libtool_whatever.sh seems to have cleared it up. I presume that that script will trip some MD5s or filesizes for when pacakges are unmerged? So if it fixed a file, that file will hang around after I've unmerged the package it belongs to?
opensas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

The propposed soluton worked fine for me.

I wonder if there's some way to automate this process, like running the fix script automatically every time a new gcc version is emerged...

Saludos

Sas

PS: Why don't you close the original thread, so as to avoid people posting there?
usrmd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Hello..
I've been working on this issue for about 2 days now and can't seem to get it so I'll ask for help here.

At first, my error was this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/___rawr_/monitor.jpg

after running the fix_libtool_files.sh (I did "fix_libtool_files.sh 3.3.5 --oldarch i386-pc-linux-gnu") command it changed i386 to i686 in the error but the gcc version stays the same. My real gcc version is 3.3.6, not 3.3.5..
I believe the path should look like this:
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.6/libstdc++.la
though I don't know how to change it to that.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you!
-Kyle

Edit: Solved
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: