NFS support on boot CD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: NFS support on boot CD Reply with quote

It would be great to have NFS-client support on boot cd, so you can mount /usr/portage/distfiles and /usr/portage/packages from other machine. This way you can save a lot of time compiling and downloading, because you can use your existing .tbz2 files in the other machine and your distfiles in case you need to download anything.

I have a k6/2-400 laptop and a k6/2-500 workstation which require the same CPU optimizations, so I use --buildpkg when emerging something in the workstation and --usepkg in my laptop, and share packages and distfiles via NFS.

Sorry for my bad english, but I believe you'll understand it better than if it was in spanish :)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: NFS support on boot CD Reply with quote

pof wrote:
It would be great to have NFS-client support on boot cd, so you can mount /usr/portage/distfiles and /usr/portage/packages from other machine

Any reason rsync'ing the two directories wouldn't provide the same functionality?

--kurt
pof
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: NFS support on boot CD Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

Any reason rsync'ing the two directories wouldn't provide the same functionality?

Yes, but NFS would actually save a lot of disk space on the client machine (my laptop in this case).
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to clarify, i think the difference he is pointing out is that with NFS only the files used are transfered...which will save time/disk space
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: NFS support on boot CD Reply with quote

pof wrote:
Yes, but NFS would actually save a lot of disk space on the client machine (my laptop in this case).

Good point -- I hadn't thought about that. Of course, you're still going to run into problems if the other machine doesn't have the right packages downloaded.

You could also set up FTP and/or HTTP on the distribution server and create a private mirror. Portage now supports 3rd party mirrors, so that should be a fairly easy thing to do.

Not that adding NFS support is a bad idea. Though I'd rather not see the stage 1 iso get much bigger, I can certainly see how NFS support would be helpful especially for lab situations where you have to install across multiple machines. Just proposing other options that might do the same thing.

--kurt
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proxy wrote:
to clarify, i think the difference he is pointing out is that with NFS only the files used are transfered...which will save time/disk space

But it's not just that kind of advantage of having client NFS support on the boot cd. As I was installing stage1 from scratch I tried to nfs-mount my server side home dir where I backup'ed some informational text files as well as the previouse configuration files. I haven't been able to copy them. I really had to open an ssh session an copy'n'paste. That's not that kind of usability. :)

Regards,
Christian Parpart.
pavera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: NFS Reply with quote

Adding this functionality to the boot CD is sooo simple its rediculous that they don't do it, its a freakin kernel option, compile it in, its about 20k I think... that is not going to affect the size of the cd so much as to hurt anything.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: NFS Reply with quote

pavera wrote:
Adding this functionality to the boot CD is sooo simple its rediculous that they don't do it, its a freakin kernel option, compile it in, its about 20k I think... that is not going to affect the size of the cd so much as to hurt anything.

Filing a feature request on bugs.gentoo.org is very simple as well.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: